What do you charge for Pet Fees?

What do you charge for Pet Fees?

Noah BaconPro Member
Property Manager · Lansdale, PA · Member since 2021 · 826 posts · 1k+ votes

One of the most common questions I see as a Landlord when leasing out my properties is around Pet Fees/Pet Restrictions.  When renting with my furry friend in the past, it was not uncommon to run into Non-Refundable Pet Fees, Pet Security Deposit, and a Monthly Pet Rent. 

What are you charging in Pet Fees?🐶🐱🐰
Have you increased any of your fees recently?

353 votes total

Non-Refundable Pet Fee
Refundable Security Deposit
Monthly Pet Rent
All of the above
None of the above
I want to see the responses!
12Reply
356 views

Most Popular Reply

CO · Member since 2022 · 588 posts · 426 votes
3y

I do a refundable deposit as well as monthly pet rent. The pet rent isn't high, only 20 dollars, but that way it pays for the extra few hours required to clean all the pet hair and things. However, with the refundable deposit I have seen better results with people cleaning up after themselves and less work required to deal with the aftermath. 

See this reply in the discussion

76 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · Orange County, CA · Member since 2016 · 740 posts · 529 votes
    3y

    The better question is what is the norm for you market? What is everyone else charging?

  • Realtor · Austin, TX · Member since 2015 · 33 posts · 10 votes
    3y

    I typically charge a refundable deposit of $400/per pet and sometime greater depending on the animal and size of the property. I also write in the lease that the tenants will get the home professionally cleaned after move out to deal the pet hair/clean up.

  • Glendale, AZ · Member since 2017 · 1k+ posts · 238 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Josh Edelman:

    $100 more per month


     per pet?

  • Glendale, AZ · Member since 2017 · 1k+ posts · 238 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Luis Saenz:

    I typically charge a refundable deposit of $400/per pet and sometime greater depending on the animal and size of the property. I also write in the lease that the tenants will get the home professionally cleaned after move out to deal the pet hair/clean up.


     How does it work? You deduct the cleaning fee from the security deposit? 

  • Investor · Staunton, VA · Member since 2020 · 13 posts · 3 votes
    3y

    I have charged $50 per pet in the past. But after some experience allowing pets, I no longer permit pets in my properties. I have found that tenants are typically haphazard when it comes to cleaning up after pets and ensuring pets do not cause moderate damage to the property. Just my opinion, but I would consider not allowing pets.

  • Real Estate Agent · Las Vegas · Member since 2018 · 197 posts · 143 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Mary Jay:
    Quote from @Josh Edelman:

    $100 more per month


     per pet? total, whether its one pet or three


  • Member since 2023 · 10 posts · 3 votes
    3y

    $25-$40 monthly pet fee depending on breed and size of the animal. Typically this pertains to dogs. 

  • Andrew SyriosPro Member
    Moderator
    Residential Real Estate Investor · Kansas City, MO · Member since 2014 · 10k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    3y

    $250 non-refundable pet deposit and $25/month per pet (maximum of three pets--for houses, it varies with apartments---no dangerous breeds unless either a service animal or temperament test). But check your local laws regarding this type of thing before setting a policy.

  • Jay ThomasPro Member
    Real Estate Agent · Houston, TX · Member since 2021 · 1k+ posts · 715 votes
    3y

    When it comes to real estate transactions, deposits and fees can make a big difference. Deposits must be refundable, which means you have some security in the transaction.

  • Realtor · Austin, TX · Member since 2015 · 33 posts · 10 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Mary Jay:
    Quote from @Luis Saenz:

    I typically charge a refundable deposit of $400/per pet and sometime greater depending on the animal and size of the property. I also write in the lease that the tenants will get the home professionally cleaned after move out to deal the pet hair/clean up.


     How does it work? You deduct the cleaning fee from the security deposit? 


    No, I just have them pay out of pocket and then return their full deposit so long as there is no damages. But you can structure it however you want. For example, I've seen where the tenant will put a $400 deposit but only $200 is refundable and the remaining amount is used for cleaning services. 

  • Glendale, AZ · Member since 2017 · 1k+ posts · 238 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Luis Saenz:
    Quote from @Mary Jay:
    Quote from @Luis Saenz:

    I typically charge a refundable deposit of $400/per pet and sometime greater depending on the animal and size of the property. I also write in the lease that the tenants will get the home professionally cleaned after move out to deal the pet hair/clean up.


     How does it work? You deduct the cleaning fee from the security deposit? 


    No, I just have them pay out of pocket and then return their full deposit so long as there is no damages. But you can structure it however you want. For example, I've seen where the tenant will put a $400 deposit but only $200 is refundable and the remaining amount is used for cleaning services. 


     thank you

  • Member since 2023 · 44 posts · 19 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Noah Bacon:

    One of the most common questions I see as a Landlord when leasing out my properties is around Pet Fees/Pet Restrictions.  When renting with my furry friend in the past, it was not uncommon to run into Non-Refundable Pet Fees, Pet Security Deposit, and a Monthly Pet Rent. 

    What are you charging in Pet Fees?🐶🐱🐰
    Have you increased any of your fees recently?


     I typically charge a $200 non-refundable pet charge along with a $30/month charge for pet rent. I think it is important to charge a monthly fee so the tenant knows the responsibility of having a pet in the rental.

  • Member since 2021 · 13 posts · 5 votes
    3y

    I've changed my tune on this one. I used to be adamant about no pets and I quickly realized how many people will bend the rules/sneak pets in. I might as well get paid for this since a lot of landlords in my area don't want pets and it'll help my properties stand out.

    Charge a nonrefundable and a monthly fee. 

  • Member since 2023 · 5 posts · 3 votes
    3y

    My clients have charged a nonrefundable pet deposit of $250 and a monthly pet rent between $20-$35/mo.

  • Member since 2023 · 3 posts · 0 votes
    3y

    From my experience as a contractor for repairing many folks homes due to dogs, damaging property to be honest with you little tiny toy dogs do much more damage into a rental property or a residence. Then a big breed dog bigger breed dogs are much more responsible than little dogs and don’t require near the attention. May be a good idea. Would be to learn about the different dog breeds and their intelligent levels. They said I have never rented a property a day in my life. This may mean nothing to you at all, but as my experience as a contractor repairing homes this is my suggestion, they don’t make puppy pads for big dogs 

  • Real Estate Agent · Nashville, TN · Member since 2015 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    3y

    Non refundable up front fee of $300/pet plus $25/month. 

    Also very much depends on the type of pet and breed. My insurance specifically outlines which dog breeds are not allowed in properties, such as pitbulls, so I make sure to follow the insurance policy on what is allowed/not allowed. 

  • New to Real Estate · Bay Area · Member since 2018 · 14 posts · 1 vote
    3y

    I charge a non refundable Pet fee of $250 + monthly Pet Rent of $25 for a small dog and $50 for a Large Dog. I like the previous comment of writing into the least that tenants will get the home professionally cleaned after move out deal with pet hair and clean up. I'll definitely be adopting this one

  • Chandler, AZ · Member since 2020 · 295 posts · 272 votes
    3y

    Sounds like I need to up my game.  I only charge $25 per pet / monthly plus a single $250 fee for pets.

  • Member since 2019 · 4 posts · 0 votes
    3y
    $50 a month
  • Rental Property Investor · Youngstown, OH · Member since 2023 · 128 posts · 124 votes
    3y

    $250 deposit, $250 non-refundable one-time fee. I don't currently charge rent for pets on the grounds that I don't feel it's fair, but I might in the future charge something like $15-20/mo since it's hard to deny the accelerated wear & tear that cats/dogs do cause, even when not on purpose. Small contained animals, I have no plans to charge rent for. I avoid renting to tenants with cats as much as possible.

  • Investor · Melbourne, FL · Member since 2017 · 159 posts · 116 votes
    3y

    One Small adult dog (nothing else) allowed.  $30 a month fee but going to $40.  Must have insurance that covers dogs.

  • Investor · NJ · Member since 2021 · 24 posts · 6 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Jonathan Cisneros:

    I just acquired my first Duplex rental property. I too have questions regarding pets. My new tenant was bit by the bottom tenants dog. Nothing serious. Still, he was bit. How can I protect myself from incidents as such? What specific document? 


     Make sure you have good liability insurance! My insurance broker actually steered me away from allowing pets just because of the higher premiums. 

  • Investor · Raleigh, NC · Member since 2022 · 112 posts · 71 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Noah Bacon:

    One of the most common questions I see as a Landlord when leasing out my properties is around Pet Fees/Pet Restrictions.  When renting with my furry friend in the past, it was not uncommon to run into Non-Refundable Pet Fees, Pet Security Deposit, and a Monthly Pet Rent. 

    What are you charging in Pet Fees?🐶🐱🐰
    Have you increased any of your fees recently?


     Hi Noah,

    For all my properties, have a non refundable pet fee that depends on the size of the pet.

    Pet fee as well ranges depending on the size of the pet.

    What are your thoughts on ESA? I have seen some people apply with an ESA pet to try and get around the pet fee and everything that comes with it. I understand its an ESA but there are other people that would happily pay the fee so curious on your take.

  • Rental Property Investor · Stamford, CT · Member since 2015 · 69 posts · 32 votes
    3y

    Hi @Noah Bacon

    I charge a $25 dollars initial application fee. After that, I require renters insurance just in case. But this is only me. 

    Hamlet

  • Melanie ThomasBusiness Member
    Real Estate Broker · San Antonio · Member since 2022 · 1k+ posts · 489 votes
    3y

    We use PetScreening and use a paw score to determine a monthly fee the PM company keeps. The PM company offers pet guarantees to the owners. Check out our website for the details. Good luck and happy investing!

    RentWerx Property Management4.73300 Reviews
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.