Manage your property by yourself

Manage your property by yourself

Investor · Member since 2023 · 135 posts · 47 votes

Hey guys 

I would like to ask you what kind of app is recommended to manage the property by your self including screening , payments , messages and everything basically 

I don’t live at the state of my properties so I have also real estate agent that will show the properties to renters. 
 and I also have team to do repairs 


please help me with app names the you are using 

1Reply
153 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2020 · 294 posts · 142 votes
3y

@Eliott Elias

I think a good PM is a needle in a haystack.

I am watching the property next door that came up for rent. Has been sitting for 3 months, no photos, no meaningful description that would make a renter go for it, initially overpriced and reduced twice already. You guessed it, it was listed by a lame duck PM. Another one on same street came up for rent, colorful description and photos, listed by owner, rented within a month.

I use Avail, I am in state though. I have yet to go to my properties for maintenance issues. I just send the plumber or HVAC contractor or handyman etc.

Avail will cross post your rental ad across major websites(Zillow is king for my area). It also handles screening, lease signing, rent collection and maintenance requests.

See this reply in the discussion

47 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Consultant · Cleveland · Member since 2020 · 6k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    3y
    Quote from @Alon A.:

    Hey guys 

    I would like to ask you what kind of app is recommended to manage the property by your self including screening , payments , messages and everything basically 

    I don’t live at the state of my properties so I have also real estate agent that will show the properties to renters. 
     and I also have team to do repairs 


    please help me with app names the you are using 


     DONT DO IT, it why do you want to deal with any of it ?  the PM is meaningless. 

  • Investor · Member since 2023 · 135 posts · 47 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Bob S.:
    Quote from @Alon A.:

    Hey guys 

    I would like to ask you what kind of app is recommended to manage the property by your self including screening , payments , messages and everything basically 

    I don’t live at the state of my properties so I have also real estate agent that will show the properties to renters. 
     and I also have team to do repairs 


    please help me with app names the you are using 


     DONT DO IT, it why do you want to deal with any of it ?  the PM is meaningless. 


     What do you mean why I want to deal with all that ?  Why not ? Sometime property management charge you more and do things that cost a lot of money 

    I have experience to deal with people and be customer service because that’s my job I’m a project manager at remodeling for years.. 

    If I see it’s to hard all good but it’s for 2-3 properties it’s not 10-15 when I reach to this stage I’ll take property management company 

  • Real Estate Consultant · Cleveland · Member since 2020 · 6k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    3y
    Quote from @Alon A.:
    Quote from @Bob S.:
    Quote from @Alon A.:

    Hey guys 

    I would like to ask you what kind of app is recommended to manage the property by your self including screening , payments , messages and everything basically 

    I don’t live at the state of my properties so I have also real estate agent that will show the properties to renters. 
     and I also have team to do repairs 


    please help me with app names the you are using 


     DONT DO IT, it why do you want to deal with any of it ?  the PM is meaningless. 


     What do you mean why I want to deal with all that ?  Why not ? Sometime property management charge you more and do things that cost a lot of money 

    I have experience to deal with people and be customer service because that’s my job I’m a project manager at remodeling for years.. 

    If I see it’s to hard all good but it’s for 2-3 properties it’s not 10-15 when I reach to this stage I’ll take property management company 


     No most PM cos get you a better price on repairs, and they handle it. I know for a fact the ones I work with are still below what I would pay . I am not speculating. Tenants are terrible, repairs are a pain to deal with. The PM fee is meaningless. 

    All the best 

  • Investor · Member since 2023 · 135 posts · 47 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Bob S.:
    Quote from @Alon A.:
    Quote from @Bob S.:
    Quote from @Alon A.:

    Hey guys 

    I would like to ask you what kind of app is recommended to manage the property by your self including screening , payments , messages and everything basically 

    I don’t live at the state of my properties so I have also real estate agent that will show the properties to renters. 
     and I also have team to do repairs 


    please help me with app names the you are using 


     DONT DO IT, it why do you want to deal with any of it ?  the PM is meaningless. 


     What do you mean why I want to deal with all that ?  Why not ? Sometime property management charge you more and do things that cost a lot of money 

    I have experience to deal with people and be customer service because that’s my job I’m a project manager at remodeling for years.. 

    If I see it’s to hard all good but it’s for 2-3 properties it’s not 10-15 when I reach to this stage I’ll take property management company 


     No most PM cos get you a better price on repairs, and they handle it. I know for a fact the ones I work with are still below what I would pay . I am not speculating. Tenants are terrible, repairs are a pain to deal with. The PM fee is meaningless. 

    All the best 


     There are companies that charged me $300 on sending guy to put rubber on front door to prevent wind from coming in 

    it’s $8 thing on Amazon and I can send someone for $100 max to put it 

    That’s just one example

  • Real Estate Agent · WA · Member since 2021 · 254 posts · 173 votes
    3y

    I haven't used it myself but I know people who manage 7+ doors out of state with Zumper - https://www.zumper.com/manage

  • Rental Property Investor · Erie, PA · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    3y

    Apartments.com is pretty good. It's free and simple enough to use. Their customer support is solid as well. 

  • Investor · Member since 2017 · 1 post · 0 votes
    3y

    I'm trying Avail.co and investingating RentRedi if this first doesn't work out.  Avail has great customer service.  They have a small $20 fee for doing rental comps.  Can help advertise property, screen tenants, etc....  If you have someone to show property and don't mind calling for plumber or electrician or handyman - it's worth a shot!  

    Might even be another post here on Bigger Pockets listing other services.  One as I recall had a PM for emergency repair service - too bad there isn't a Forum Search option (or is there I don't see it). 

    All to say - it's possible to do it yourself. To our PM friends on this forum, I've heard some PM's are really good.  My experience was in the Vegas area and there the PM was not helping at we went solo. 

  • Investor · Austin, TX · Member since 2021 · 9k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    3y

    Pay the 10% and let the experts handle it. Especially if you have hopes to scale. 

  • Investor · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2020 · 294 posts · 142 votes
    3y

    @Eliott Elias

    I think a good PM is a needle in a haystack.

    I am watching the property next door that came up for rent. Has been sitting for 3 months, no photos, no meaningful description that would make a renter go for it, initially overpriced and reduced twice already. You guessed it, it was listed by a lame duck PM. Another one on same street came up for rent, colorful description and photos, listed by owner, rented within a month.

    I use Avail, I am in state though. I have yet to go to my properties for maintenance issues. I just send the plumber or HVAC contractor or handyman etc.

    Avail will cross post your rental ad across major websites(Zillow is king for my area). It also handles screening, lease signing, rent collection and maintenance requests.

  • Nathan GesnerBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Broker · Cody, WY · Member since 2010 · 28k+ posts · 41k+ votes
    3y

    Software is a common question on BiggerPockets. Here are some things to consider:

    1. Most investors don't need software until they have 5-10 rentals. All you need is a single place to track tenant information, payment history, maintenance, and a few other things. You can easily do this on a spreadsheet and it will take less time to track than it would to find and learn a new software. If the software is not simplifying your life or making you more accurate, you shouldn't use it.
    2. Software does have extremely helpful features like online payments, marketing syndication (click a button and your property is advertised on multiple sites), electronic document review/signing, maintenance tracking, and owner reports. But do you really need that for your one rental?
    3. There's no perfect software out there. Every system you try will have flaws or you'll salivate over a feature that shows up in other software.

    Some common names you'll see thrown around a lot: Stessa, Apartments.com, RentRedi, TenantCloud, Innago, RentManager, Avail, Rentec Direct, Doorloop, etc.

    I recommend you search for each of those apps online and see what they offer, how much they charge, etc. Make a simple spreadsheet or written list with the features of each and see which ones appeal to you most. Try to narrow it down to your top 3-4. Once you have a short list, get an account with each one and run them through the wringer to see how they really function. Do one task at a time in each app so you can compare apples to apples.

    • Load a property with pictures and details.
    • Market that property.
    • See what your marketing looks like from the public's perspective.
    • Submit a fake application to see how easy the process is.
    • Run a credit/screening report on yourself.
    • Enter a maintenance request, assign a vendor, attach a fake invoice.
    • Enter charges to the tenant's ledger.
    • Enter recurring charges and automatic late fees.
    • Sign documents electronically.
    • Run owner reports.

    After testing a few apps, one of them should stand out for you. Choose that one and use it. No system is perfect, so don't waste your time chasing after the next shiny object. You should only have to change when your current software has a flaw or lacking feature that is causing you to spend too much work on a work-around. Then you can consider researching and finding something that meets your needs better.

    The DIY Landlord Book4.7247 Reviews
  • Real Estate Agent · Pittsburgh, PA · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 846 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Alon A.:

    Hey guys 

    I would like to ask you what kind of app is recommended to manage the property by your self including screening , payments , messages and everything basically 

    I don’t live at the state of my properties so I have also real estate agent that will show the properties to renters. 
     and I also have team to do repairs 


    please help me with app names the you are using 


     Apartments.com bought Cozy which was a good management tool. I assume their current one is now similar. 

    That being said this is a bad idea. 

  • Real Estate Agent · Pittsburgh, PA · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 846 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Alon A.:
    Quote from @Bob S.:
    Quote from @Alon A.:
    Quote from @Bob S.:
    Quote from @Alon A.:

    Hey guys 

    I would like to ask you what kind of app is recommended to manage the property by your self including screening , payments , messages and everything basically 

    I don’t live at the state of my properties so I have also real estate agent that will show the properties to renters. 
     and I also have team to do repairs 


    please help me with app names the you are using 


     DONT DO IT, it why do you want to deal with any of it ?  the PM is meaningless. 


     What do you mean why I want to deal with all that ?  Why not ? Sometime property management charge you more and do things that cost a lot of money 

    I have experience to deal with people and be customer service because that’s my job I’m a project manager at remodeling for years.. 

    If I see it’s to hard all good but it’s for 2-3 properties it’s not 10-15 when I reach to this stage I’ll take property management company 


     No most PM cos get you a better price on repairs, and they handle it. I know for a fact the ones I work with are still below what I would pay . I am not speculating. Tenants are terrible, repairs are a pain to deal with. The PM fee is meaningless. 

    All the best 


     There are companies that charged me $300 on sending guy to put rubber on front door to prevent wind from coming in 

    it’s $8 thing on Amazon and I can send someone for $100 max to put it 

    That’s just one example

     I agree that a PM is more expensive than doing things yourself, but unless you are from the area and know the $100 person you speak of I wouldn't trust them as far as you can throw them. 

    $100 is getting most people to the door for someone that doesn't either give them a ton of business or is employed by the person giving them the $100 directly. Even though the PM is more expensive part of the reason you have them is because they have enough doors under management that they can even find someone that will show up for small repairs and given them enough work to keep them coming back. 

    The small job handyman is one of the hardest things to find. Even worse if you aren't local. I am local to my portfolio and ended up hiring my own employees because this was such a hard person to find consistently and reliably for the long term. 

  • Rental Property Investor · East Wenatchee, WA · Member since 2014 · 10k+ posts · 16k+ votes
    3y

    Placement fees will be about your largest expense,  so you're not really 'saving' much self-managing if you're having an agent do that.

    I'm all about DIY, but OOS would have me finding the best PM in the area.  I work really hard staying up with my state and local laws.  What will you know of this state?  No app can fix that.

    I'd find the best PM in that entire region and invest where they are @Alon A. 

  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    3y
    Quote from @Nathan Gesner:

    Software is a common question on BiggerPockets. Here are some things to consider:

    1. Most investors don't need software until they have 5-10 rentals. All you need is a single place to track tenant information, payment history, maintenance, and a few other things. You can easily do this on a spreadsheet and it will take less time to track than it would to find and learn a new software. If the software is not simplifying your life or making you more accurate, you shouldn't use it.
    2. Software does have extremely helpful features like online payments, marketing syndication (click a button and your property is advertised on multiple sites), electronic document review/signing, maintenance tracking, and owner reports. But do you really need that for your one rental?
    3. There's no perfect software out there. Every system you try will have flaws or you'll salivate over a feature that shows up in other software.

    Some common names you'll see thrown around a lot: Stessa, Apartments.com, RentRedi, TenantCloud, Innago, RentManager, Avail, Rentec Direct, Doorloop, etc.

    I recommend you search for each of those apps online and see what they offer, how much they charge, etc. Make a simple spreadsheet or written list with the features of each and see which ones appeal to you most. Try to narrow it down to your top 3-4. Once you have a short list, get an account with each one and run them through the wringer to see how they really function. Do one task at a time in each app so you can compare apples to apples.

    • Load a property with pictures and details.
    • Market that property.
    • See what your marketing looks like from the public's perspective.
    • Submit a fake application to see how easy the process is.
    • Run a credit/screening report on yourself.
    • Enter a maintenance request, assign a vendor, attach a fake invoice.
    • Enter charges to the tenant's ledger.
    • Enter recurring charges and automatic late fees.
    • Sign documents electronically.
    • Run owner reports.

    After testing a few apps, one of them should stand out for you. Choose that one and use it. No system is perfect, so don't waste your time chasing after the next shiny object. You should only have to change when your current software has a flaw or lacking feature that is causing you to spend too much work on a work-around. Then you can consider researching and finding something that meets your needs better.


    for my few rentals what I do is hire a PM or RE agent to screen and place then I take it from there.  just need a reliable handyman. But I have A class rentals with tenants that so far act like A class tenants  LOL
  • Real Estate Broker · Minneapolis, MN · Member since 2011 · 5k+ posts · 6k+ votes
    3y

    @Alon A. as you stated your Out-State, so how are you going to do the "boots-on-the-ground" stuff such as showings? 

    If your issue is maintenance staff and costs, I am confused why you don't just make use of PM, with a directive of using YOUR maintenance persons? It's a whole heck of a lot easier then trying to do everything yourself from states away. 

    No matter which way you try to wrangle it your going to need a person on-site, and they will charge compensation. So you can try to figure everything out yourself, run your own system, pay people per-showing (because if there not getting a placement fee that's what it will be, a per showing fee) and then try to figure out a lease, maybe an attorney to help write or review that lease etc etc.. 

    Or you can just use a PM co to do a Tenant Placement only, self-manage from there. Or take the investor route and have a PM and direct them what service vendors to use for what, thus solving your issue of maintenance expenses. 

  • Wes M.Pro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Southeastern, NC · Member since 2018 · 163 posts · 146 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Alon A.:

    Hey guys 

    I would like to ask you what kind of app is recommended to manage the property by your self including screening , payments , messages and everything basically 

    I don’t live at the state of my properties so I have also real estate agent that will show the properties to renters. 
     and I also have team to do repairs 


    please help me with app names the you are using 


     We use Zillow to list properties, screen tenants, and collect payments. It works well for us. 

  • Investor · Fort Washington, MD · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    3y

     I manage some of mine and need no software. The oneś I manage are about an hour away. Iḿ experienced at this and would never manage something very far out of town. Some people think this is easy and sounds sexy but it can be a massive headache. Me paying a very good company 10 percent saves me money. Believe what you want but in multiple cases you may be going out there back and forth to some degree. There are other expenses as well. My time also costs. In general when analyzing the costs of my time, answering calls and performing routine minor tasks 10 percent is great. I only take deals with baked in space for my cash flow and Just collecting the check works out great for me. 

    If you are bent on doing it yourself I dont really think any software is necessary. 

    I will say it helps if its class B or A  with a decent school system. After that, really screen hard. Assure you have solid credit scores and renal history. Verify those references and if you can asses how they take care of the place they are currently in. All this helps cut down on BS and constant interaction. In my experiences the ones I know who are new to it, attempting to self manage just on the local stuff it only last 4 months top! 

    Best of luck! 

  • Mackaylee BeachPro Member
    Real Estate Agent · Kansas City, MO · Member since 2020 · 1k+ posts · 492 votes
    3y

    INNAGO- I have used it for a short period of time but so far it's been great.

    It is simple and easy for prospects to apply. It also provides you with the option to cross post your listings.

  • Investor · Malakoff, TX · Member since 2017 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    3y

    I self managed without any software until recently, as I'm about to exceed 30 units. I'm trying out Buildium. 

    Ive found the experience of self managing to be quite valuable. Getting to know first hand the issues and problems with management.

  • Member since 2022 · 47 posts · 47 votes
    3y

    I think you'll find that as you look for solutions, there are a lot of different variables and great tools available. Some questions you may be asking yourself:
    1) How much am I looking to spend?
    2) How robust are the tools that I am seeking? Do you want to be able to scale to infinite or have the most simple and streamlined solution?

    3) Do I need maintenance, listing, accounting, banking, insurance, and more all in one place? What's the best combination of these?

    There are so many platforms like Turbotenant, Avail, Tenantcloud, Azibo, Innago, Apartments.com, Rentredi, and more which will all be great at some of these above! There are always strengths and weaknesses for every platform, especially lower-cost solutions. The good news is that because most of the above are free or have cheaper prices of entry, you can test these out and get a feel for what's best!

    If you ever have any questions, feel free to DM me! I'm part of the team at Azibo, just a heads up 

  • Rental Property Investor · Dallas, TX · Member since 2020 · 161 posts · 88 votes
    3y

    @Alon Attias, don't do it! Im speaking from 20+ years of experience. Engage a truly Great property manager and you will be much better off than trying to do it yourself, especially with no experience. With a truly great PM company you will make more money than trying to do it yourself. I work with a fantastic PM and there's no way I would ever go back to being an owner / operator. If I was a banker, I would never loan money to a self manager.

  • Vicki X.Pro Member
    Investor · Member since 2022 · 186 posts · 155 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Alon A.:

    Hey guys 

    I would like to ask you what kind of app is recommended to manage the property by your self including screening , payments , messages and everything basically 

    I don’t live at the state of my properties so I have also real estate agent that will show the properties to renters. 
     and I also have team to do repairs 


    please help me with app names the you are using 


    There have been many good answers above. I know many online tools that empowers investors nowadays. I've been managing a few of my single family houses myself, both local and remote. It's not hard with a good network of professionals (handyman, and folks who have the knowledge or can direct me to the right person). You can certainly test them and see what you want to do yourself vs. outsourced.

    My summary of such tool:

    • Listing and leasing: Zillow, Tenant Turner, and others (I said “Others” as many platforms can no longer list on Zillow timely and effectively)
    • PM software (lease and esign, rent collection, maintenance etc.): Azibo, Avail, Innago, Apartments.com, Hemlane, Turbotenant, Rentredi, Tenant Cloud, eRentpayment, Zillow
    • Rental accounting tool: Azibo, Stessa, REIHub, Quickbooks (not specifically for rentals and pricier though)
    • Rental banking: Azibo, Stessa
    • move-in/move-out inspection: rentcheck

    Hope it helps! I’ve used a few and tested many. Happy to share more details.


  • Investor · Member since 2023 · 135 posts · 47 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Vicki X.:
    Quote from @Alon A.:

    Hey guys 

    I would like to ask you what kind of app is recommended to manage the property by your self including screening , payments , messages and everything basically 

    I don’t live at the state of my properties so I have also real estate agent that will show the properties to renters. 
     and I also have team to do repairs 


    please help me with app names the you are using 


    There have been many good answers above. I know many online tools that empowers investors nowadays. I've been managing a few of my single family houses myself, both local and remote. It's not hard with a good network of professionals (handyman, and folks who have the knowledge or can direct me to the right person). You can certainly test them and see what you want to do yourself vs. outsourced.

    My summary of such tool:

    • Listing and leasing: Zillow, Tenant Turner, and others (I said “Others” as many platforms can no longer list on Zillow timely and effectively)
    • PM software (lease and esign, rent collection, maintenance etc.): Azibo, Avail, Innago, Apartments.com, Hemlane, Turbotenant, Rentredi, Tenant Cloud, eRentpayment, Zillow
    • Rental accounting tool: Azibo, Stessa, REIHub, Quickbooks (not specifically for rentals and pricier though)
    • Rental banking: Azibo, Stessa
    • move-in/move-out inspection: rentcheck

    Hope it helps! I’ve used a few and tested many. Happy to share more details.



     hey , so there is any software that combine also listing on all rental sites and also do tenant management? 

  • Investor · Member since 2023 · 135 posts · 47 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Nathan Gesner:

    Software is a common question on BiggerPockets. Here are some things to consider:

    1. Most investors don't need software until they have 5-10 rentals. All you need is a single place to track tenant information, payment history, maintenance, and a few other things. You can easily do this on a spreadsheet and it will take less time to track than it would to find and learn a new software. If the software is not simplifying your life or making you more accurate, you shouldn't use it.
    2. Software does have extremely helpful features like online payments, marketing syndication (click a button and your property is advertised on multiple sites), electronic document review/signing, maintenance tracking, and owner reports. But do you really need that for your one rental?
    3. There's no perfect software out there. Every system you try will have flaws or you'll salivate over a feature that shows up in other software.

    Some common names you'll see thrown around a lot: Stessa, Apartments.com, RentRedi, TenantCloud, Innago, RentManager, Avail, Rentec Direct, Doorloop, etc.

    I recommend you search for each of those apps online and see what they offer, how much they charge, etc. Make a simple spreadsheet or written list with the features of each and see which ones appeal to you most. Try to narrow it down to your top 3-4. Once you have a short list, get an account with each one and run them through the wringer to see how they really function. Do one task at a time in each app so you can compare apples to apples.

    • Load a property with pictures and details.
    • Market that property.
    • See what your marketing looks like from the public's perspective.
    • Submit a fake application to see how easy the process is.
    • Run a credit/screening report on yourself.
    • Enter a maintenance request, assign a vendor, attach a fake invoice.
    • Enter charges to the tenant's ledger.
    • Enter recurring charges and automatic late fees.
    • Sign documents electronically.
    • Run owner reports.

    After testing a few apps, one of them should stand out for you. Choose that one and use it. No system is perfect, so don't waste your time chasing after the next shiny object. You should only have to change when your current software has a flaw or lacking feature that is causing you to spend too much work on a work-around. Then you can consider researching and finding something that meets your needs better.


     Thank you 

    what you will recommend? 
    for listing the properties and for tenant management ? There is software that combine both together ? 

  • Vicki X.Pro Member
    Investor · Member since 2022 · 186 posts · 155 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Alon A.:
    Quote from @Vicki X.:
    Quote from @Alon A.:

    Hey guys 

    I would like to ask you what kind of app is recommended to manage the property by your self including screening , payments , messages and everything basically 

    I don’t live at the state of my properties so I have also real estate agent that will show the properties to renters. 
     and I also have team to do repairs 


    please help me with app names the you are using 


    There have been many good answers above. I know many online tools that empowers investors nowadays. I've been managing a few of my single family houses myself, both local and remote. It's not hard with a good network of professionals (handyman, and folks who have the knowledge or can direct me to the right person). You can certainly test them and see what you want to do yourself vs. outsourced.

    My summary of such tool:

    • Listing and leasing: Zillow, Tenant Turner, and others (I said “Others” as many platforms can no longer list on Zillow timely and effectively)
    • PM software (lease and esign, rent collection, maintenance etc.): Azibo, Avail, Innago, Apartments.com, Hemlane, Turbotenant, Rentredi, Tenant Cloud, eRentpayment, Zillow
    • Rental accounting tool: Azibo, Stessa, REIHub, Quickbooks (not specifically for rentals and pricier though)
    • Rental banking: Azibo, Stessa
    • move-in/move-out inspection: rentcheck

    Hope it helps! I’ve used a few and tested many. Happy to share more details.



     hey , so there is any software that combine also listing on all rental sites and also do tenant management? 


     Listing has become a real pain for most platforms because Zillow, the source of majority of the leads, is building a walled garden.  
    The best option I see now is Tenant Turner, which is a paid service. Or you may want to list on zillow separately and use a platform that covers the rest.
    Another alternative is to hire an investor friendly leasing agent -- it'll save you a lot of time, and many don't charge full month's rent.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.