Mowing Expenses Seem Excessive for my rental property

Mowing Expenses Seem Excessive for my rental property

Member since 2020 · 78 posts · 27 votes

Hello BiggerPockets community,

I'm a rental property owner, and I've recently been reviewing the landscaping expenses for my out-of-state property, particularly the mowing costs. I must admit, the figures are making me raise an eyebrow, and I'm curious to hear from others who might have insights or experience in this area.

It feels a bit high to me, but I don't have much to compare it to.

Can anyone shed light on whether this is a reasonable expense? Are there ways PM can negotiate a better rate with landscaping contractor?

Any insights, comparisons, or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance for your thoughts!

0Reply
77 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Arroyo Grande, CA · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
3y

Lots of factors here.

I have 12-doors in Detroit and I have a crew go by and mow and edge every other week. The lawns aren't huge, but not tiny either. They charge me $40 each time which seemed high to me initially. I

I lived in the suburbs for awhile in Detroit Metro and we had a service that did ours each week for $20/week then upped it to $24 a couple years later. Our lots was 0.40 acres, so quite a bit larger.

The thing is, he'd do our neighbors as well as the one across the street. So probably some economies of scale with his business whereas my guys in Detroit don't have that.

So does this seem outrageous to me? No. Could you get by doing it every other week? Most likely, yes.

See this reply in the discussion

25 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Tampa, FL · Member since 2011 · 2k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    3y

    How big is the yard? Is it in a place that gets lot of rain and sunshine? 

  • Investor · Arroyo Grande, CA · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    3y

    Lots of factors here.

    I have 12-doors in Detroit and I have a crew go by and mow and edge every other week. The lawns aren't huge, but not tiny either. They charge me $40 each time which seemed high to me initially. I

    I lived in the suburbs for awhile in Detroit Metro and we had a service that did ours each week for $20/week then upped it to $24 a couple years later. Our lots was 0.40 acres, so quite a bit larger.

    The thing is, he'd do our neighbors as well as the one across the street. So probably some economies of scale with his business whereas my guys in Detroit don't have that.

    So does this seem outrageous to me? No. Could you get by doing it every other week? Most likely, yes.

  • Rental Property Investor · Prince George's County, MD · Member since 2022 · 177 posts · 187 votes
    3y

    I noticed you're paying for weekly mowing... that's excessive.

    The $60/$40 charges really depends on the size of your lot.  But again, there shouldn't be a need to mow every week.  That's what's really draining you.

  • Bill J FayPro Member
    Lender · San Diego · Member since 2023 · 216 posts · 209 votes
    3y

    Like others have said, switch to bi-monthly. Keep tabs on what you are spending and charge that back in rent. Call around to some mowers (or even handyman) in the area to see if they can beat your current price. Realistically, switching to 2 times a month will solve your problem.

  • Investor · Greenville, SC · Member since 2016 · 5k+ posts · 13k+ votes
    3y

    $200 per month is going to be close to the minimum that many landscape companies charge regardless of lot size.  You may be able to get lower if you work it (search, network with investors, post on area Facebook sites, etc.).

  • Theresa HarrisPro Member
    Member since 2019 · 15k+ posts · 11k+ votes
    3y

    What kind of weeds do you get that need weed killer every 2 weeks? I agree with the others about the frequency of the mowing.  It depends on how much the grass is growing and if it is full sun or shade.  Call around to a few places and see what they charge.

  • Severna Park, MD · Member since 2013 · 7k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    3y
    Quote from @Bill J Fay:

    Like others have said, switch to bi-monthly. Keep tabs on what you are spending and charge that back in rent. Call around to some mowers (or even handyman) in the area to see if they can beat your current price. Realistically, switching to 2 times a month will solve your problem.


     My neighbor owns a landscape company . when some one wants bi monthly  he tells them the price per cut is twice as much because the grass is twice as tall and it takes them more time .    But then he tells the customer he isnt interested in their work . 

  • Chris SeveneyBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Investor · VA · Member since 2015 · 21k+ posts · 19k+ votes
    3y

    @Artur A.

    That doesn’t seem bad but is it a 2500sf lot or 5 acres?

    Also why is it mowed weekly? Does it need to be?

    Typically we do biweekly and never an issue.

    7e investments53 Reviews
  • Investor · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2020 · 294 posts · 142 votes
    3y

    @Artur A.

    We pay $75 every two weeks, including basic weed and feed on a 4 unit. I would say lawn is no bigger than many single family lawns in the area.

    I also suggest switching to every two weeks. They may decide to charge you more though.

  • Michael SmytheBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Metro Detroit · Member since 2023 · 4k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    3y

    @Artur A. the prices are fair for Metro Detroit, not sure about where you are.

    Our clients all want to save money, so they tell us to mow bi-weekly, but then when grass grows fast and a city issues a ticket, owners expect us to pay for the ticket!

    So, we mow as grass growth requires, but minimally every two weeks. It's not exact, but we get very few city tickets. Owners still complain, but we patiently explain our strategy.

    Logical Property Management4.9454 Reviews
  • Peter TverdovBusiness Member
    Developer · New Brunswick, NJ · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    3y

    It's high but this lacks context. Depends on the size of the property, the area. We have lawn service every 2 weeks done at the rentals to try to save the owner some money but if it were in a nicer neighborhood those we do weekly for the owners. Some lots are an acre, some are 2500 sqft so again, it depends.

    If the landscaping costs are hurting your bottom line that much, you probably should sell the property. 

  • Corby GoadeBusiness Member
    Investor · Boise, ID · Member since 2014 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    3y
    Quote from @Artur A.:

    Hello BiggerPockets community,

    I'm a rental property owner, and I've recently been reviewing the landscaping expenses for my out-of-state property, particularly the mowing costs. I must admit, the figures are making me raise an eyebrow, and I'm curious to hear from others who might have insights or experience in this area.

    It feels a bit high to me, but I don't have much to compare it to.

    Can anyone shed light on whether this is a reasonable expense? Are there ways PM can negotiate a better rate with landscaping contractor?

    Any insights, comparisons, or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance for your thoughts!

    Quality labor is really hard to find- if this crew shows up regularly and does this for $40-50, you are in great shape. 

    I manage about 250 properties and we are responsible for all of the lawn maintenace. I think $40 is the LOWEST price we have for a postage stamp. We cannot get any professional lawn services to perform for less than $40 per week and they will not mow less often than $40 per week. 

    That seems totally fair to me. 

  • Nathan GesnerBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Broker · Cody, WY · Member since 2010 · 28k+ posts · 41k+ votes
    3y

    I don't see an answer on yard size, which is a big factor. My landscaping companies charge a minimum of $40 for the smallest yard. A typical lawn can run $60. 

    The DIY Landlord Book4.7247 Reviews
  • Member since 2020 · 78 posts · 27 votes
    3y

    Thank you for input.

    This is the yard:

    Front:

  • Member since 2020 · 78 posts · 27 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Corby Goade:
    Quote from @Artur A.:

    Hello BiggerPockets community,

    I'm a rental property owner, and I've recently been reviewing the landscaping expenses for my out-of-state property, particularly the mowing costs. I must admit, the figures are making me raise an eyebrow, and I'm curious to hear from others who might have insights or experience in this area.

    It feels a bit high to me, but I don't have much to compare it to.

    Can anyone shed light on whether this is a reasonable expense? Are there ways PM can negotiate a better rate with landscaping contractor?

    Any insights, comparisons, or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance for your thoughts!

    Quality labor is really hard to find- if this crew shows up regularly and does this for $40-50, you are in great shape. 

    I manage about 250 properties and we are responsible for all of the lawn maintenace. I think $40 is the LOWEST price we have for a postage stamp. We cannot get any professional lawn services to perform for less than $40 per week and they will not mow less often than $40 per week. 

    That seems totally fair to me. 


     How often do you do lawn care? Monthly or bi-weekly?

  • Honolulu, HI · Member since 2008 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    3y
    Aloha,

    This does not look like a yard (or neighborhood) that requires weekly service. 10 - 14 days between visits should be more than adequate. Maybe some mulch and low growing plantings in front to clean it up and minimize trimming in that area.
  • Severna Park, MD · Member since 2013 · 7k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    3y

    Ask yourself , "What other service would come to your house for 60 bucks ? "    Not many . 

    My neighbor who owns a landscape service told me to send out a truck , traielr , equipment , 2 men @ $20 an hour , fuel, insurance , taxes , etc . His break even is $ 650.00 a day . A 2 man crew does between $800 and $1200 a day . Some days its less due to problems that come up . \

    He does close to 250 lawns a week .  Runs 6 crews .  They have scheduled routes , bi weekly does not fit in that business model .

    zero turn mower   $12,500   He has 12      thats   $150K

    7 trucks   around $40K @                                      $280K 

    6 trailers  $6000 each                                           $36K 

    asst tools per truck   $2000 tines 6                        $12K 

    He is sitting on close to $500K in equipment        

    You are not paying too much to cut the grass 

  • Rental Property Investor · Indianapolis, IN · Member since 2020 · 562 posts · 554 votes
    3y

    @Artur A. $40 bucks a mow doesn’t seem unreasonable to me. But since they charge for weed killer every other time there better not be a single weed in the yard! I would ask them to back off on the weed killer unless you are expecting the yard to be pristine. You can also get other quotes if you think the price is too high.

  • Corby GoadeBusiness Member
    Investor · Boise, ID · Member since 2014 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    3y
    Quote from @Artur A.:
    Quote from @Corby Goade:
    Quote from @Artur A.:

    Hello BiggerPockets community,

    I'm a rental property owner, and I've recently been reviewing the landscaping expenses for my out-of-state property, particularly the mowing costs. I must admit, the figures are making me raise an eyebrow, and I'm curious to hear from others who might have insights or experience in this area.

    It feels a bit high to me, but I don't have much to compare it to.

    Can anyone shed light on whether this is a reasonable expense? Are there ways PM can negotiate a better rate with landscaping contractor?

    Any insights, comparisons, or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance for your thoughts!

    Quality labor is really hard to find- if this crew shows up regularly and does this for $40-50, you are in great shape. 

    I manage about 250 properties and we are responsible for all of the lawn maintenace. I think $40 is the LOWEST price we have for a postage stamp. We cannot get any professional lawn services to perform for less than $40 per week and they will not mow less often than $40 per week. 

    That seems totally fair to me. 


     How often do you do lawn care? Monthly or bi-weekly?


     Pre covid, we used to be able to get contractors to perform bi weekly lawn care, but that's become impossible in our market. It's every week or not at all.

    Because of the climate where I am- May, June and September defintely need weekly mowing but July and August don't. Just have to pay for it anyhow or you won't get service at all. And if we don't get our vendors booked by February, it's really tough to get on their schedule. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Boston, Massachusetts (MA) · Member since 2016 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    3y

    have you considered turning it into parking or a patio?  Putting down some kind of slow growing grass coverage/plants?The price seems to be more or less correct for a visit but thats a pretty tiny and (sorry) sad yard to be putting 200/month into

  • Member since 2020 · 78 posts · 27 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Jonathan R McLaughlin:

    have you considered turning it into parking or a patio?  Putting down some kind of slow growing grass coverage/plants?The price seems to be more or less correct for a visit but thats a pretty tiny and (sorry) sad yard to be putting 200/month into

    by putting down of slow growing grass coverage do you mean xeriscaping ? do you know what would be approximate cost?

  • Member since 2020 · 78 posts · 27 votes
    3y

    @Jonathan R McLaughli please reply to message above, thank you

  • Property Manager · Cleveland, OH · Member since 2023 · 16 posts · 5 votes
    3y

    Good Morning,

    It would be more cost-effective to change to bi-weekly if possible. Depending on how quick the city is to issue violations, although we typically do not experience issues with bi-weekly mowing. The price for the services is typical.

  • Rental Property Investor · Boston, Massachusetts (MA) · Member since 2016 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    3y

    missed this. Didn't know the word "xeriscaping" but that sounds right. I don't know the cost, I am afraid  I would check in with a landscaper who specializes. Quick google search yields between $5-$20 square foot using drought tolerant plants and you don't have to do the entire yard...

  • Investor · Stonington, CT · Member since 2021 · 21 posts · 10 votes
    3y

    only half joking here.  Maybe look into partnering with or buying a landscaping business.  

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.