Water Sub-metering Help

Water Sub-metering Help

Appraiser · Columbus Ohio · Member since 2018 · 1 post · 1 vote

Looking for some help/guidance. We are purchasing a property in Columbus, Ohio that is already submetered and managed by Guardian but they will not continue services as we are "too small". We have looked at a few submetering companies, however, most are too expensive for our duplex and we don't have enough scale to make it financially feasible. Looking for an easy way to read the meter and bill accurately. I am a novice but maybe it is as easy as simply reading the meters ourselves and allocating the bill based on usage, but I am not sure if it is more complex than this. Thinking I can make a simple spreadsheet with the meter reads and go from there. Appreciate any help on this!

1Reply
28 views

Most Popular Reply

Remington LymanBusiness Member
Real Estate Agent · Columbus, OH · Member since 2017 · 6k+ posts · 7k+ votes
3y

I can send you some other sub metering companies in Columbus that could help you out

See this reply in the discussion

6 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Remington LymanBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Columbus, OH · Member since 2017 · 6k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    3y

    I can send you some other sub metering companies in Columbus that could help you out

  • Alfath AhmedBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Columbus, OH · Member since 2022 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    3y
    Quote from @Collin Marton:

    Looking for some help/guidance. We are purchasing a property in Columbus, Ohio that is already submetered and managed by Guardian but they will not continue services as we are "too small". We have looked at a few submetering companies, however, most are too expensive for our duplex and we don't have enough scale to make it financially feasible. Looking for an easy way to read the meter and bill accurately. I am a novice but maybe it is as easy as simply reading the meters ourselves and allocating the bill based on usage, but I am not sure if it is more complex than this. Thinking I can make a simple spreadsheet with the meter reads and go from there. Appreciate any help on this!

    I can send some referrals your way. Let me know!
  • Ryan FreyPro Member
    Developer · Missoula, MT · Member since 2016 · 46 posts · 29 votes
    3y

    I have installed Next Century submeters in my new construction builds.  For a minimal annual fee a monthly usage spreadsheet is emailed to you.  The systems use wifi or cell signal to transmit the data.  A retrofit install of these should be fairly straightforward for a plumber.  You just need power somewhere near the meters.  

  • Real Estate Consultant · Cleveland · Member since 2020 · 6k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    3y
    Quote from @Collin Marton:

    Looking for some help/guidance. We are purchasing a property in Columbus, Ohio that is already submetered and managed by Guardian but they will not continue services as we are "too small". We have looked at a few submetering companies, however, most are too expensive for our duplex and we don't have enough scale to make it financially feasible. Looking for an easy way to read the meter and bill accurately. I am a novice but maybe it is as easy as simply reading the meters ourselves and allocating the bill based on usage, but I am not sure if it is more complex than this. Thinking I can make a simple spreadsheet with the meter reads and go from there. Appreciate any help on this!


     Hire A PM CO, them then handle all 

  • Scott AllenBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Columbus, OH · Member since 2020 · 449 posts · 471 votes
    3y

    @Collin Marton  A lot of longterm landlords usually cover the water bill that comes quarterly but it would probably be more feasible to add a water fee into your leases. You could ask the water company to give you the water bills over the past year to come up with an average per unit.

    Reafco - Columbus, OH
  • Real Estate Agent · Dallas, TX · Member since 2020 · 164 posts · 80 votes
    3y

    @Collin Marton Look into LISS Technologies. They'll provide free quotes.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.