Tenants Breaking Lease After Finding Bed Bugs

Tenants Breaking Lease After Finding Bed Bugs

Member since 2023 · 1 post · 0 votes

Hi all, 

My tenants are asking to break their lease after finding bedbugs before they move in. I arranged to have an exterminator come take care of them the day after they were discovered but  they are now asking to break the lease anyway. I have collected first month rent and deposit but am not sure how to handle the situation. Should I refund them anything? I am going to have to find a new tenant which will cost time and money. 

Thanks for any advice!

0Reply
35 views

6 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Peter MckernanBusiness Member
    Residential Real Estate Agent · Irvine, CA · Member since 2013 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    3y

    I would just refund everything and get new tenants. I would disclose to the other tenants that you pick that you had bed bugs and they were professionally exterminated! @Rebekah Golden

    This will give them comfort and security that they are being covered by a person that is responsible and will take care of the rentals with professional/licensed companies. 

    The McKernan Group4.957 Reviews
  • Russell BrazilBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Agent · Washington, D.C. · Member since 2012 · 17k+ posts · 30k+ votes
    3y

    I would refund them, let them move, then get the heat treatment on the house.

  • Honolulu, HI · Member since 2008 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    3y

    Aloha,

    Is this a single family home, or duplex/multi-family? If this is SFH, they should have been discovered and treated during your turnover. If one or more attached units, you need to treat multiple units.

    Refund their full funds.

  • Nathan MillerPro Member
    Property Manager · Grants Pass, OR · Member since 2009 · 429 posts · 201 votes
    3y

    It may not be specifically related to the bed bugs and might be a financial decision for them.  Either way, it doesn't sound like they are going to be happy there which would be ongoing trouble for you.  Better off to find different tenants that would enjoy the home.

  • Nathan GesnerBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Broker · Cody, WY · Member since 2010 · 28k+ posts · 41k+ votes
    3y

    Because the bugs were found prior to their occupancy, I would refund the money and look for a new tenant. You'll need time to treat the problem anyway, so use it for marketing.

    The DIY Landlord Book4.7248 Reviews
  • Property Manager · Charlotte, NC · Member since 2022 · 138 posts · 87 votes
    3y

    BB's are such a pain! If the unit is connected to another, you'll need to notify all tenants (if occupied) and schedule heat treatment(s). I've been through this numerous times (unfortunately), but the tenants brought them in. Refund them, treat the unit(s), and move on. I would also disclose to next tenants, and show pest control / tech invoice (for reassurance). I'm so sorry you're going through this!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.