Evernest Property Management

Evernest Property Management

Member since 2023 · 6 posts · 14 votes

Do not work with evernest as they are a national company and are slow to accomplish anything. Their online reviews on google seem great and everything is 5 stars but I promise you the team is terrible. If you would like a few references to property management companies within the city that are local I have a few recommendations. 

Things they did bad which I wish I had asked more information about:

Never involved in the screening of tenants

They recommended keys for cash by waiving the rent amount buy only collecting fees which they would get not me

The cost to evict is 750-950 yet other companies told me they will include eviction in the price

The tenant didnt pay in full last month and I was the one calling out to them and asking questions then a few days later I get an email saying something happened with the tenant and they are investigating.

You get passed from person to person every week or so.

No one told me when the construction was complete and so the house was ready for a week and the post to zillow and other sites was not done.

It took them another week to take pictures and then another week to upload it.

I was paying 200 dollar a month electric bills while the house was vacant because they left the AC running in the empty property. I called and found out by the electric company then called back to evernest and they said they do it so that when the showing happens its not so hot. So I told them turn it off, shut off all circuit breakers and then turn on the AC the morning of to cool down the house. Its no surprise that also took them a week to go and turn it off.

I had 2 perspective tenants waiting for over a month with their national background check only to find out there were alternatives we could use to get a report in minutes but they refused to not use that company.

Finally I get a tenant after 3 months on the market who is someone who was fully approved by the rent amount was 200 dollars less than market value a month so I agreed because it was just before winter when its harder to get someone in. This person pays one full month and now I am switching companies to evict them.

The director of operations keeps getting fired and swapping with a new person and then they email me and dont even remember that we had already spoken on the phone about the eviction.

I learned more about the eviction process by talking to other local brokers and property management companies who I wasnt even paying yet than I did from my own company. When I call the most seasoned person Allan Howell he gives me great info but doesnt know the specifics. yet you call others and they know it like the back of their hand.

I have learned a lot from this process and am grateful for so many members commenting on my posts and helping me learn more about being an investor. Thank you for taking the time to read my post. I interviewed the new company using the following articles. https://www.biggerpockets.com/member-blogs/3094/91877-how-to... 

9Reply
613 views

Most Popular Reply

Michael SmytheBusiness Member
Real Estate Agent · Metro Detroit · Member since 2023 · 4k+ posts · 3k+ votes
2y

We're far from perfect, so our 2 cents should be taken lightly.

Most of the national companies are setting up franchises and the challenge is with the individual franchisees. They seem to be trying to use a PMC model designed for Class A properties/tenants for Class B, C and sometimes D.

Can't use the same business model for all classes of properties/tenants.

Logical Property Management4.9446 Reviews
See this reply in the discussion

29 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Member since 2025 · 1 post · 2 votes
    1y

    I have the same issue with them in Columbus, Ohio. They bought out Poplar Management in January and have been paying the incorrect amount for the COA fees for my Condo. There are late fees associated with this, which they have been passing on to me. 

    I contacted them and they initially said they would take care of it. They never did and refuse to answer e-mails or phone calls. Specifically, V. Podolsky who is the current PM in Columbus, Ohio. The COA even tried to contact her on my behalf, but no response. 

    @Meghan Hunter Did you ever get a group together? and what was the result? Wouldn't mind being a part of it.

  • Member since 2024 · 1 post · 1 vote
    1y

    I’ve self-managed properties for years, but hiring Evernest was hands-down the worst investment decision I’ve made

    I am an average small-time real estate investor with several properties that I have self-managed successfully. About six months ago, I looked into expanding into another investor-friendly market in Jackson, MS. Not having the infrastructure to support self-management in this market, I looked into hiring a property management company and settled on Evernest. Below is an objective recounting of my experience, followed by the grade (A – F) that I would give Evernest and, finally, a recommendation for anyone considering signing a contract with Evernest Property Management.

    I signed with Evernest to manage one property at 1044 Cooper Rd., Jackson, MS 12/3/24 and sent complete pre-purchase inspection report and repair list 12/4/24. Had to pay for inspection again by Evernest regardless. Took several weeks and numerous follow ups to get required repair estimates, all minor (< $10K total).

    Expressed concern to Evernest Property Manager estimates were taking too long on 12/18/24; “I'm concerned that we're losing time here and coming into the holidays. Do we still not have an estimate for repairs for 1044 Cooper Rd?”

    Expressed concern that I was still waiting for estimates to Allen Howell, Business Development Manager on 12/27/27. No response received as of 2/6/25.

    Charged multiple times for same repair estimates, as acknowledged by Evernest Property Manager 1/31/25 but still not rectified as of 2/6/25.

    Received estimates for some (not all) repairs and funded minor (< $3) repair work on 12/23/24, slated to be completed by 12/30/24. Expressed concern about repeated delays in completion of minor work to Property Manager on 1/7/25; “I'm deeply concerned that we are a full week over the expected completion date for the original reno and don't have a report…”. After several follow ups w/no response I was informed incorrectly that all work had been completed 1/7/25. After numerous additional requests for a status update, I was informed that the work funded 12/23/24 (with estimated completion date of 12/30/24) was still not actually complete as of 1/16/25.

    After > 10 repeated requests for a status update, I was informed that work funded 12/23/24 was finally completed 1/31/25. No explanation provided for delays.

    Filled out lengthy marketing form 1/7/25. On 1/21/25 I was informed that no marketing form was on record and needed to complete it again.

    On 12/23/24, I was incorrectly informed that none of the window a/c units in the home were working.

    I informed the Property Manager that my agent was in the home the week prior and reported that all window a/c units in the home were working fine. She said she would investigate. I was then charged $100 for someone to test them and I was informed; “Window units work fine. I tested them and made sure”. Then on 12/31/24, I was informed that information was again incorrect, and that the main livingroom unit needed to be replaced.

    I ordered a replacement window a/c unit and had it delivered to the property. Having just awarded an additional contractor $3500 for minor work the day before, I requested that minor item be added to the punch list and was to be alerted if there was to be an additional charge for installing a window a/c unit. Without being informed, Evernest charged me an additional $350 for installation.

    New Property Manger assigned to my account on 1/17/25, stating that the prior Property Manager was “no longer with Evernest”.

    On 1/22/25, I requested an itemize invoice for 4 items completed by one of the contractors hired by Evernest. Followed up several times. As of 2/6/25 I still have not received it.

    Sent time-sensitive email and text to new person on 1/24/25. Received no response until after follow up the following week.

    Email correspondence made concerns clear; “thank you for that but I requested that last week. This is not an OK response time for a project that is already delayed several weeks if not more at the fault of Evernest.” Separate example: email with with subject; “Email from last Wednesday, please respond”.

    After repeated non-responsiveness and continued issues, I sent an email to new Property Manager 1/28/25 with subject “Serious Concerns” in which I expressed concerns about repeated delays, non-responsiveness, mistakes and incorrect information, and stated that; “I may need to seek some restitution for the cost of these delays, not to mention the additional time and aggravation, the reduction of which was the point of hiring a management company in the first place.”

    Had to request an estimate for an HVAC heating unit to be installed six times. After receiving a quote from Evernest for an average unit with a 1-y warranty, I immediately found a licensed HVAC technician to install a much higher quality system with a 5-y warranty for 60% of the price quoted from Evernest, even before Evernest added its 10% “maintenance management fee”.

    Scheduled original gas turn-on for 12/9/24 and confirmed that Evernest person would be present. Gas not turned on; no explanation provided. Scheduled second gas turn-on 12/31/24 and confirmed multiple times with Evernest. Informed by HVAC technician on 2/3/25 that gas was never turned on. Had to follow up three times to get a response; no explanation given and, to my knowledge, the situation is still not rectified as of 2/6/25.

    As of 2/6/25, I was still not able to rent a home that needed only minor repairs, which has been under Evernest management for over TWO MONTHS.

    Update 3/27/25: After I cancelled my contract with Evernest, they found a way to charge me extra, retained my security deposit and said I owed them another $80 somehow despite the fact that I prepaid for every service and contractor.

    Experience was in fact so bad, that I’ve listed the property for sale and will likely take a loss on it.

    I filed a complaint with the BBB outlining the dumpster fire that was my experience with them in a polite and highly detailed letter to which they responded; “I am sorry your experience with Evernest was not an enjoyable experience. After further review of your account the renovation was completed. After further review not compensation will be granted at this time. I hope the best for you in your future endeavors.”, which sounded to me a lot like “Go &@(% yourself” so customer service definitely gets an A+ but there were some other areas in which Evernest didn’t perform quite as well so my overall rating for Evernest for property management is an F-

    Final recommendations: If you are a real estate investor considering hiring Evernest for your property management, I suggest you set your property on fire instead; that will undoubtedly be less costly and frustrating than working with Evernest.

    Hope this is helpful, good luck and happy investing!

  • Member since 2024 · 14 posts · 7 votes
    1y

    Glad I saw this thread before reaching out to them!

  • Rental Property Investor · Ozone Park, NY · Member since 2019 · 36 posts · 20 votes
    1y

    Hello my name is Danny Rodriguez and I own a home in Detroit. I have all the documentations and email during the timeframe of my relationship with Evernest property management company. Since Evernest took over management of my property, they have failed to properly oversee it. After evicting a tenant, they allowed squatters to move in, who caused $17,000 in damages. I had to cover the rehab costs myself due to winter conditions and the risk of frozen pipes. Once repairs were completed, Evernest vetted and placed a new tenant, who refused to pay rent and caused an additional $5,000 in damages. From February 2024 to now, I have lost $15,000 in rental income. Based on their low quality communication and customer service, I suspect my property was neglected or overlooked. Do I have grounds for a negligence case?

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.