Evernest Property Management

Evernest Property Management

Member since 2023 · 6 posts · 14 votes

Do not work with evernest as they are a national company and are slow to accomplish anything. Their online reviews on google seem great and everything is 5 stars but I promise you the team is terrible. If you would like a few references to property management companies within the city that are local I have a few recommendations. 

Things they did bad which I wish I had asked more information about:

Never involved in the screening of tenants

They recommended keys for cash by waiving the rent amount buy only collecting fees which they would get not me

The cost to evict is 750-950 yet other companies told me they will include eviction in the price

The tenant didnt pay in full last month and I was the one calling out to them and asking questions then a few days later I get an email saying something happened with the tenant and they are investigating.

You get passed from person to person every week or so.

No one told me when the construction was complete and so the house was ready for a week and the post to zillow and other sites was not done.

It took them another week to take pictures and then another week to upload it.

I was paying 200 dollar a month electric bills while the house was vacant because they left the AC running in the empty property. I called and found out by the electric company then called back to evernest and they said they do it so that when the showing happens its not so hot. So I told them turn it off, shut off all circuit breakers and then turn on the AC the morning of to cool down the house. Its no surprise that also took them a week to go and turn it off.

I had 2 perspective tenants waiting for over a month with their national background check only to find out there were alternatives we could use to get a report in minutes but they refused to not use that company.

Finally I get a tenant after 3 months on the market who is someone who was fully approved by the rent amount was 200 dollars less than market value a month so I agreed because it was just before winter when its harder to get someone in. This person pays one full month and now I am switching companies to evict them.

The director of operations keeps getting fired and swapping with a new person and then they email me and dont even remember that we had already spoken on the phone about the eviction.

I learned more about the eviction process by talking to other local brokers and property management companies who I wasnt even paying yet than I did from my own company. When I call the most seasoned person Allan Howell he gives me great info but doesnt know the specifics. yet you call others and they know it like the back of their hand.

I have learned a lot from this process and am grateful for so many members commenting on my posts and helping me learn more about being an investor. Thank you for taking the time to read my post. I interviewed the new company using the following articles. https://www.biggerpockets.com/member-blogs/3094/91877-how-to... 

9Reply
620 views

Most Popular Reply

Michael SmytheBusiness Member
Real Estate Agent · Metro Detroit · Member since 2023 · 4k+ posts · 3k+ votes
2y

We're far from perfect, so our 2 cents should be taken lightly.

Most of the national companies are setting up franchises and the challenge is with the individual franchisees. They seem to be trying to use a PMC model designed for Class A properties/tenants for Class B, C and sometimes D.

Can't use the same business model for all classes of properties/tenants.

Logical Property Management4.9446 Reviews
See this reply in the discussion

29 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Spencer SuttonBusiness Member
    Investor · Birmingham, AL · Member since 2015 · 119 posts · 148 votes
    2y

    Hey @Angel Mora I'm sorry you had such a bad experience with us. It sounds like we didn't do a good job of setting expectations with you on the front end. I hope your new PM does a great job for you and that you end up with a great Jackson, MS investment.

  • Member since 2023 · 6 posts · 14 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Spencer Sutton:

    Hey @Angel Mora I'm sorry you had such a bad experience with us. It sounds like we didn't do a good job of setting expectations with you on the front end. I hope your new PM does a great job for you and that you end up with a great Jackson, MS investment.


     Since your responding on here can you get someone to respond to my email? Thank you

  • Member since 2023 · 84 posts · 35 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Angel Mora:

    Do not work with evernest as they are a national company and are slow to accomplish anything. Their online reviews on google seem great and everything is 5 stars but I promise you the team is terrible. If you would like a few references to property management companies within the city that are local I have a few recommendations. 

    Things they did bad which I wish I had asked more information about:

    Never involved in the screening of tenants

    They recommended keys for cash by waiving the rent amount buy only collecting fees which they would get not me

    The cost to evict is 750-950 yet other companies told me they will include eviction in the price

    The tenant didnt pay in full last month and I was the one calling out to them and asking questions then a few days later I get an email saying something happened with the tenant and they are investigating.

    You get passed from person to person every week or so.

    No one told me when the construction was complete and so the house was ready for a week and the post to zillow and other sites was not done.

    It took them another week to take pictures and then another week to upload it.

    I was paying 200 dollar a month electric bills while the house was vacant because they left the AC running in the empty property. I called and found out by the electric company then called back to evernest and they said they do it so that when the showing happens its not so hot. So I told them turn it off, shut off all circuit breakers and then turn on the AC the morning of to cool down the house. Its no surprise that also took them a week to go and turn it off.

    I had 2 perspective tenants waiting for over a month with their national background check only to find out there were alternatives we could use to get a report in minutes but they refused to not use that company.

    Finally I get a tenant after 3 months on the market who is someone who was fully approved by the rent amount was 200 dollars less than market value a month so I agreed because it was just before winter when its harder to get someone in. This person pays one full month and now I am switching companies to evict them.

    The director of operations keeps getting fired and swapping with a new person and then they email me and dont even remember that we had already spoken on the phone about the eviction.

    I learned more about the eviction process by talking to other local brokers and property management companies who I wasnt even paying yet than I did from my own company. When I call the most seasoned person Allan Howell he gives me great info but doesnt know the specifics. yet you call others and they know it like the back of their hand.

    I have learned a lot from this process and am grateful for so many members commenting on my posts and helping me learn more about being an investor. Thank you for taking the time to read my post. I interviewed the new company using the following articles. https://www.biggerpockets.com/member-blogs/3094/91877-how-to... 


     I have heard similar things from colleagues around the country

  • Investor · Brooklyn, NY · Member since 2016 · 121 posts · 31 votes
    2y

    @Angel Mora We just had a terrible experience with them in Detroit. They cancelled our contract for "being out of process in the processing of your future S8 tenant's paperwork". Mind you, we fully disclosed we had a preselected tenant and expected them to take over the process before we signed on. They require 48-72 hours notice to schedule anything onsite so we've been waiting 2 weeks now for a Section 8 initial inspection date to be scheduled by them. So we don't even have an approved inspection much less a lease with this potential tenant. Baffling what "paperwork" they think they need to be on. The utility company missed an appointment and no communication from them or action to even reschedule. They are intent on collecting money before there is any property cash flow and less interested in doing the job they are hired for. You're better off self managing or going with a local company with boots on the ground.

  • Michael SmytheBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Metro Detroit · Member since 2023 · 4k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    2y

    We're far from perfect, so our 2 cents should be taken lightly.

    Most of the national companies are setting up franchises and the challenge is with the individual franchisees. They seem to be trying to use a PMC model designed for Class A properties/tenants for Class B, C and sometimes D.

    Can't use the same business model for all classes of properties/tenants.

    Logical Property Management4.9446 Reviews
  • Property Manager · Southfield Mi · Member since 2018 · 182 posts · 171 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Ali L.:

    @Angel Mora We just had a terrible experience with them in Detroit. They cancelled our contract for "being out of process in the processing of your future S8 tenant's paperwork". Mind you, we fully disclosed we had a preselected tenant and expected them to take over the process before we signed on. They require 48-72 hours notice to schedule anything onsite so we've been waiting 2 weeks now for a Section 8 initial inspection date to be scheduled by them. So we don't even have an approved inspection much less a lease with this potential tenant. Baffling what "paperwork" they think they need to be on. The utility company missed an appointment and no communication from them or action to even reschedule. They are intent on collecting money before there is any property cash flow and less interested in doing the job they are hired for. You're better off self managing or going with a local company with boots on the ground.


     You should inbox me.  The Section 8 move in phase of your rentals is critical.  Its when all of the work is performed and you are literally prone to lose everything.  Having a full renovated home in the inner city is like being a sitting duck.

  • Rental Property Investor · Member since 2020 · 30 posts · 13 votes
    2y

    @Angel Mora which market are you in? I'm having a horrid experience with them in Denver area.

  • Member since 2023 · 5 posts · 4 votes
    2y

    @Angel Mora I'm going thru a similar experience near Jackson MS and very unhappy with Evernest.  It took them several weeks to list my property on the market when there wasn't much to be done but they charge me $600+ for cleaning. When my property was finally listed, the photos were terrible. The first showing had negative feedback and potential tenants identify issues with flooring which Evernest never brought up to me even thou they did a walk thru prior to listing going live. They repeatedly charge me for cleaning services while my property has been vacant for 2+ months. I need to figure out what to do next. Do you have recommendations for other property managers near Jackson MS? Thanks.

  • Detroit, MI · Member since 2020 · 150 posts · 68 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Michael Smythe:

    We're far from perfect, so our 2 cents should be taken lightly.

    Most of the national companies are setting up franchises and the challenge is with the individual franchisees. They seem to be trying to use a PMC model designed for Class A properties/tenants for Class B, C and sometimes D.

    Can't use the same business model for all classes of properties/tenants.


     We are far from perfect as well. But this right here..... this is a solid answer. I am going to second what Micheal said. Class C cannot be handled the same way Class A is. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Member since 2019 · 79 posts · 27 votes
    2y

    @Angel Mora 

    One year ago, I had a very similar experience as you with Evernest. It started with Allen contacting me and the pass offs started from there. There were a number of issues, but the big one was a "repair" charge they lied about. The new tenants didn't know how to lite the brand-new stove. Evernest said they had to pull a permit from the city, have the stove inspected to make sure it was safe for the repairman then they could look at it. They found nothing wrong and the stove was fine. Charged me $450. I asked to see the permit and they couldn't come up with it. I contacted the city to get all permits and the only one was one that my contractor got that I paid for. I later found out that the tenants googled how to lite the stove and solved it themselves. Four months of arguing with different people and I finally got my $450 back.  

    After that, I changed PMs' and a year later, still not sure if I'm safe from "cash grabs." 

    I hope it works out and post anything that's positive with the next PM.

  • Rental Property Investor · Member since 2020 · 30 posts · 13 votes
    2y

    @Angel Mora which market are you in? I'm having a horrid experience with them in Denver area.

     @Stephanie Yang can I PM you? I’d like to get a group of homeowners together who’ve been screwed by Evernest. There are lots of us. And they’ve cost me alone well over $30k in damages and lost rent thanks to their complete negligence.

  • Rental Property Investor · Member since 2020 · 30 posts · 13 votes
    2y

    @Bob Beach this sounds almost fraudulent!

  • Rental Property Investor · Member since 2020 · 30 posts · 13 votes
    2y

    @Angel Mora did you ever get a response from anyone? It's been 8+ months of me trying to resolve my issues and they persist! Even after all of my efforts to get better communication I'm still tracking information down and STILL managing my manager. What is Evernest even doing if all of us property owners are the ones essentially managing things? They seem to even pass off some of the management work to tenants? It's horrid.

  • New to Real Estate · UT · Member since 2022 · 5 posts · 1 vote
    2y

    @Meghan Hunter I have seen them charge me for things 2x!! I am about ready to just manage myself from out of state and have a couple of local handymen help me out when things come up. I am under contract for another property and am 99% sure I will not use them. I am over them and can't do this anymore.

  • Investor · Arroyo Grande, CA · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    2y
    Quote from @Sarah Kerchner:

    @Meghan Hunter I have seen them charge me for things 2x!! I am about ready to just manage myself from out of state and have a couple of local handymen help me out when things come up. I am under contract for another property and am 99% sure I will not use them. I am over them and can't do this anymore.


     Hey Sarah, I'm a big advocate for self-managing even from out of state.

    I manage my 12-doors in Detroit and live in California. Happy to chat and connect if you want to compare notes.

  • New to Real Estate · UT · Member since 2022 · 5 posts · 1 vote
    2y

    That would be amazing! Ill message you for more info

  • Sean O'KeefePro Member
    CPA | Accepting new clients | 50 States · Member since 2022 · 1k+ posts · 870 votes
    2y

    @Travis Biziorek @Sarah Kerchner
    Totally agree. There are also some tax advantages to self-managing. 

  • Member since 2024 · 6 posts · 2 votes
    2y

    @Travis Biziorek and @Sean O'Keefe, we are looking to start with our first out of state rental and would love to know more about self management. I guess we assumed that we'd be hiring a PM. I would great appreciate more info in order to make a more educated choice. Thank you!

  • Investor · Arroyo Grande, CA · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    2y
    Quote from @Kim Scheid:

    @Travis Biziorek and @Sean O'Keefe, we are looking to start with our first out of state rental and would love to know more about self management. I guess we assumed that we'd be hiring a PM. I would great appreciate more info in order to make a more educated choice. Thank you!


     It's a big decision to self-manage. If you don't already have boots-on-the-ground and a trusted network, it's going to be tougher to do. I'm not saying it's impossible, but it will be challenging.

    The toughest thing, by far, is placing tenants from afar.

  • Rental Property Investor · Member since 2019 · 79 posts · 27 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Kim Scheid:

    @Travis Biziorek and @Sean O'Keefe, we are looking to start with our first out of state rental and would love to know more about self management. I guess we assumed that we'd be hiring a PM. I would great appreciate more info in order to make a more educated choice. Thank you!


     You may want to consider a PM for a least the first year of a first out of state property. Screening and placing a tenant, they know local rules, they have eyes that can see the property and know what is going on there. A PM sends someone for maintenance and that's valuable info on how the house is being treated. A PM knows how to get the utilities going quicker if permits are needed. One year should show a track record of the tenant to see if you want to deal with anything bad or good. 

  • Member since 2024 · 6 posts · 2 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Travis Biziorek:
    Quote from @Kim Scheid:

    @Travis Biziorek and @Sean O'Keefe, we are looking to start with our first out of state rental and would love to know more about self management. I guess we assumed that we'd be hiring a PM. I would great appreciate more info in order to make a more educated choice. Thank you!


     It's a big decision to self-manage. If you don't already have boots-on-the-ground and a trusted network, it's going to be tougher to do. I'm not saying it's impossible, but it will be challenging.

    The toughest thing, by far, is placing tenants from afar.


     Agreed! Thank you 

  • Member since 2024 · 6 posts · 2 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Bob Beach:
    Quote from @Kim Scheid:

    @Travis Biziorek and @Sean O'Keefe, we are looking to start with our first out of state rental and would love to know more about self management. I guess we assumed that we'd be hiring a PM. I would great appreciate more info in order to make a more educated choice. Thank you!


     You may want to consider a PM for a least the first year of a first out of state property. Screening and placing a tenant, they know local rules, they have eyes that can see the property and know what is going on there. A PM sends someone for maintenance and that's valuable info on how the house is being treated. A PM knows how to get the utilities going quicker if permits are needed. One year should show a track record of the tenant to see if you want to deal with anything bad or good. 

     I'm pretty confident we will go with a PM. Thank you @Bob Beach!

  • Rental Property Investor · Member since 2020 · 30 posts · 13 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Sarah Kerchner:

    @Meghan Hunter I have seen them charge me for things 2x!! I am about ready to just manage myself from out of state and have a couple of local handymen help me out when things come up. I am under contract for another property and am 99% sure I will not use them. I am over them and can't do this anymore.

    I'd say it's unbelievable, but at this point, I'm not surprised. Have you managed to decide where to move next? I'd like to connect if that works for you!
  • Investor · Boise, ID · Member since 2014 · 8 posts · 6 votes
    1y

    I will concur with negative comments above. I purchased three out of state "cash flow" rentals with Evernest. It has been a very poor investment decision. I would steer clear for sure.

  • Member since 2024 · 1 post · 0 votes
    1y

    ****** management. I would strongly urge owners to stay away. Unresponsive to owners for days on what is the condition of their property? Why has rent not been collected? Why a $3000 work order got approved before prior approval from owner despite having note on the account to strictly take approval from owner on any work order. It’s humiliating to call customer service who has no idea what is going on and can’t quite transfer you to property manager. Property managers are useless and unavailable all the time. Will take you more than 2 weeks to even connect with one. They simply sleep on issues.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.