Serving notice to quit

Serving notice to quit

Member since 2024 · 6 posts · 3 votes

I have to serve my tenant with a 10 day notice to quit for a property in Indianapolis. I was reading the eviction statutes and it seems that I have to hand deliver the notice to the tenant or post it on the property. I'm not local to the area at this time so I can't serve the notice. Do you have recommendations for low cost options to post a 10 day notice on the property? Thank you. 

0Reply
69 views

4 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Nathan GesnerBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Broker · Cody, WY · Member since 2010 · 28k+ posts · 41k+ votes
    2y
    Quote from @Tiffany Perry:

    I have to serve my tenant with a 10 day notice to quit for a property in Indianapolis. I was reading the eviction statutes and it seems that I have to hand deliver the notice to the tenant or post it on the property. I'm not local to the area at this time so I can't serve the notice. Do you have recommendations for low cost options to post a 10 day notice on the property? Thank you. 


    You can search for a service processor. They will deliver notices by hand or post them on the property. However, you may also be required to send it by certified mail. 

    https://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/the-eviction-process...

    The DIY Landlord Book4.7247 Reviews
  • Adam BartomeoBusiness Member
    Real Estate Broker · Cape Coral, FL · Member since 2015 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    2y

    You can call a real estate agent or PM and ask them to do it for $50 - $100. I hear a lot of people use agents.

  • Kerry Noble JrPro Member
    Investor · Indianapolis, IN · Member since 2018 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    2y
    Quote from @Tiffany Perry:

    I have to serve my tenant with a 10 day notice to quit for a property in Indianapolis. I was reading the eviction statutes and it seems that I have to hand deliver the notice to the tenant or post it on the property. I'm not local to the area at this time so I can't serve the notice. Do you have recommendations for low cost options to post a 10 day notice on the property? Thank you. 


     Ive done this several times for OUT of state investors....let me know and i can help

  • Member since 2022 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    2y

    You can probably have a friend do it, and have him sign a letter attesting. You can probably also hire a Sheriff to deliver it but $$$. Hire a service processor $$. Read your local requirements.  Don't waste time and do it properly, and don't worry about pennies when it can drag into the thousands. Do it right.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.