I’m evaluating Indianapolis as a potential secondary market and am in the operator discovery phase.
I’m looking to speak with property managers who currently manage room rentals / shared housing, or who have chosen not to manage them and can explain why.
My target acquisition profile is:
3–4 bedroom SFRs
Typically sub-$200k
No HOAs
I’m not asking for deals yet -I’m looking to understand:
Which zip codes realistically support room rentals
What occupancy models PMs will and won’t touch
Where new investors get into trouble
Brief conversations are perfectly fine — I value candid insight..
Most PMCs don't want to manage room rentals because:
1) Often a local zoning violation (cities call them boarding houses)
2) Low market demand => upset owners blaming PMC
3) Roommates may not get along => more work for PMC
4) Showings can be a challenge => current tenants don't like constant visitors
5) Who cleans the house? => more roommate issues & complaints to PMC.
6) Lawn & snow? => more roommate issues & complaints to PMC.
7) Owner probably has to furnish main rooms, kitchen, bathroom, living room => PMC now has more work tracking & maintaining these.
8) What about a nonpaying roommate? => difficult situation for PMC to evict only ONE roommate. If not handled correctly, could lead to more roommates not paying => try being the PMC explaining that to an owner!
Can't imagine a PMC willing to take this on without charging higher monthly management fees.
I currently manage a rent-by-the-room property in Indianapolis and am happy to share some insight. One of the biggest challenges we’ve encountered is competing with large scale co-living operators like the Historic Central State Mansion, which can offer rooms starting around $450-$500/month along with amenities that single family rent-by-room properties simply can’t replicate—such as a pool, gym, and on-site coffee shop.
Beyond pricing pressure, shared housing also comes with increased operational complexity. Managing tenant relationships is significantly more hands-on due to shared common areas like kitchens, living rooms, and bathrooms, which leads to more frequent conflicts, higher communication volume, and stricter enforcement needs around house rules and cleanliness. While rent-by-room can work in certain niches, these factors have made it more management-intensive and less predictable than traditional single-tenant rentals in our experience.