For those who self-manage rentals from out of state, how do you currently handle maintenance requests and vendor coordination without it becoming burdensome? I manage my own properties and find this to be challenging and time-consuming, especially in regard to workflow and site visibility/quality control. Curious what systems/approaches others are using?
Investor · Florida Panhandle/Illinois · Member since 2016 · 4k+ posts · 3k+ votes
8mo
I’ve been self managing both in state (locally) and out of state. The key is having resources available to handle maintenance calls and people you can trust. The reality, locally is much easier and more comfortable. You still can do it out of state, but you need a handyman and at times a reliable contractor for specialized things.
I rarely receive calls on maintenance, but I do get them. I think the advantage is I use the BRRRR method whereby I have rehabbed the property which helps in reducing maintenance calls.
Replacing a tenant is definitely the most difficult.
I tend to use open houses similar to selling your house. I find in the right market it works great. Creates competition among renters when they see other people looking at the same time, which creates the competition I’m looking for. The key is your unit/house must look great. Out do your competition.
You need to check on your property every once in a while anyway. Even if it’s only once a year. Pick the correct tenant and it’s all doable.
It is commendable that you have successfully managed your properties from out of state. It sounds like that has taken its toll and it may be time to hire a PM who will give you the relief of not dealing with the stress of coordinating maintenance.
Otherwise, you can try and see if any of the PM companies will share a vendor list( Most won't but could be worth a try). If you have no relationships in the area, it may be difficult to have a go-to guy you can trust right away for handy-man work. Rely on reviews and ratings.
Do you use a PM software? There are a lot of options and some allow your tenants to submit requests online. For vendors, you can look on yelp or you could see if there is a FB page for the town/city landlords and ask there. You can looks at review la and get referrals. Mine properties are local and I self manage...but this is the way I build my list.
Rental Property Investor · Denver, CO · Member since 2024 · 60 posts · 10 votes
8mo
Keyless access is a must for out of state landlords. It's the reason why I built my software.
I can't say the name of my company, or this post will be deleted for self promotion, but the name is in the signature at the bottom of this post.
My software makes access portable with the use of one-time passcodes for maintenance vendors, automated showings to find your next tenant using smart locks and keyless access for tenants.
No keys floating around in lockboxes this way. And you always have access to your rental properties.
A good crew on the ground and a good property manager are the other must haves. And good property management software.
For those who self-manage rentals from out of state, how do you currently handle maintenance requests and vendor coordination without it becoming burdensome? I manage my own properties and find this to be challenging and time-consuming, especially in regard to workflow and site visibility/quality control. Curious what systems/approaches others are using?
Contractors often take advantage of OOS investors!
You need to develop a relationship with a local handyman and don't nickel & dime their bids.
For larger projects you'll need to visit the project and interview contractors.
Boots on the ground are a must, but difficult to find.
Real Estate Broker · San Antonio · Member since 2022 · 1k+ posts · 489 votes
8mo
This is a very real pain point. Handling maintenance can easily turn into a full time job as your portfolio grows, especially when you’re managing from out of state.
A lot of self managing owners I talk to eventually outsource the intake and coordination piece. Companies like Latchel and Lula can take incoming maintenance calls 24/7, triage the issue, dispatch vendors, and even handle updates and data entry back into your software. That alone removes a huge amount of back and forth and after hours stress.
You still control spend limits and preferred vendors, but you’re not the one answering the phone, chasing contractors, or trying to troubleshoot issues remotely. It’s not free, but when you factor in time, missed calls, and quality control headaches, it can make a lot of sense.
At some point it becomes less about “can I do this myself” and more about “is my time better spent elsewhere.” Good luck & happy investing!
Real Estate Coach · LandlordSkool.com · Member since 2017 · 110 posts · 88 votes
8mo
I’ve been self-managing for over ten years, most of that time I was living and working in Iraq as private security.
I was in a backwards timezone and had no cell and crappy internet. I can do a call with you and tell you how I do it in detail. Just DM me. PS I don’t like middlemen PMs they are just doing a job, this is your livelihood, you can do this, better, even from out of state or country 💪
Property Manager · OK · Member since 2024 · 98 posts · 74 votes
8mo
Managing maintenance from out of state is possible, but only if you’re very intentional about systems.
The biggest shift is moving from being reactive to having trusted local support. That usually means building a small, reliable vendor list you’ve already vetted and setting clear expectations on pricing, response times, and documentation. Having one go-to handyman who can handle most small issues is a game-changer.
On the workflow side, using a property management or ticketing system helps keep everything organized. All requests should come through one channel, with photos, notes, and invoices uploaded so you’re not chasing information. For quality control, requiring before-and-after photos or short videos has helped us maintain visibility without being on-site.
At a certain scale, many out-of-state owners either bring in a local coordinator or partially outsource maintenance while keeping leasing and finances in-house. It’s not about doing everything yourself—it’s about reducing friction and protecting your time while maintaining standards.
Good systems make distance manageable. Without them, it becomes exhausting fast.
Investor · Florida Panhandle/Illinois · Member since 2016 · 4k+ posts · 3k+ votes
8mo
I’ve been self managing both in state (locally) and out of state. The key is having resources available to handle maintenance calls and people you can trust. The reality, locally is much easier and more comfortable. You still can do it out of state, but you need a handyman and at times a reliable contractor for specialized things.
I rarely receive calls on maintenance, but I do get them. I think the advantage is I use the BRRRR method whereby I have rehabbed the property which helps in reducing maintenance calls.
Replacing a tenant is definitely the most difficult.
I tend to use open houses similar to selling your house. I find in the right market it works great. Creates competition among renters when they see other people looking at the same time, which creates the competition I’m looking for. The key is your unit/house must look great. Out do your competition.
You need to check on your property every once in a while anyway. Even if it’s only once a year. Pick the correct tenant and it’s all doable.
Investor · Milwaukee - Mequon, WI · Member since 2010 · 5k+ posts · 7k+ votes
8mo
What most people don't realize is OOS investors have a extra cost burden of probably well over 20% compared to local investors.
Contractors charge more and even for simple things like looking at something to assess next steps you can't just drive by on the way home, you have to hire and send someone. You also have operational inefficiencies just from not beeing there to supervise. Everything is basically a second hand opinion from someone else.
We have a great long term crew and if I tell you how many times "let me just stop by and look at this before you do anything" changes how we are going to address the issue. You loose all of that when you are OOS.
Real Estate Agent · Memphis · Member since 2026 · 552 posts · 319 votes
8mo
Remote maintenance only feels chaotic when there isn’t a clear structure behind it. Once systems are in place, it becomes much more manageable.
A few things that make a big difference are having a single intake channel for requests, setting clear response timelines, and using a small, reliable vendor bench instead of scrambling each time. Standardizing how work is approved, documented with photos, and invoiced also helps with visibility and quality control from a distance.
A lot of the burden usually comes from back-and-forth communication, not the repair itself. When tenants, vendors, and the owner all know the process upfront, the workload drops significantly. Without that structure, every issue feels like a new fire.
For those who self-manage rentals from out of state, how do you currently handle maintenance requests and vendor coordination without it becoming burdensome? I manage my own properties and find this to be challenging and time-consuming, especially in regard to workflow and site visibility/quality control. Curious what systems/approaches others are using?
Generally speaking, it's best to have somebody nearby on the ground to handle maintenance and inspection. If hiring a property manager is out of the question/budget then look to a system which gives your tenants the remote capability of handling maintenance. Our tenants report maintenance issues through the tenant portal or resident connect app in Rentec Direct. That gives us the maintenance request, along with pictures of the problem. I then assign a vendor to resolve it. This same process could work for a remote property if you have an existing vendor network.
Real Estate Broker · New York, NY · Member since 2020 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
8mo
Hey Nicholas,
First, funnel all tenant requests through a single channel, like a portal, form, or dedicated email or phone number, so nothing gets lost and you can track what’s happening. Next, build a vetted vendor list by trade, including plumber, electrician, HVAC, and handyman, so when something breaks you’re choosing from people you already trust instead of scrambling on Google at 9 pm. Then, standardize your workflow: tenants submit requests with photos, you triage whether it is urgent or routine, assign it to the right person, and send quick status updates so everyone knows what is going on.
Finally, get some “eyes on the ground” by asking vendors for before and after photos, and for bigger jobs, pay a trusted local contact to check the work so you are not flying blind from afar. If it makes sense for you situation, definitely look into property management or maintenance software like Buildium, AppFolio, or TenantCloud.
Hinton, WV · Member since 2026 · 1k+ posts · 373 votes
8mo
The game changer for me was creating a vendor network before you need it. I spent a weekend calling contractors, getting quotes for common repairs, and setting up accounts. Now when something breaks, I'm not scrambling to find someone decent. Also started requiring photo updates at each step - catches issues before they become bigger problems. What's your biggest pain point right now, the finding vendors part or managing the work once it's started?
Hinton, WV · Member since 2026 · 1k+ posts · 373 votes
8mo
The game changer for me was requiring contractors to text me three things before starting any job: photo of the problem, written scope (not just "fix the sink"), and firm timeline. Then I make them send one progress photo halfway through. This simple process weeds out the flaky ones fast and keeps good contractors accountable. I also keep a running Google Sheet with vendor response times and quality scores. What's killing you more - finding contractors who actually show up or keeping track of multiple jobs at once?
Hinton, WV · Member since 2026 · 1k+ posts · 373 votes
8mo
One thing that saved me tons of headaches: set up a simple vendor vetting process where you require them to text photos at three stages - before they start, midway through, and completion. I also make them confirm the exact scope in writing before any work begins. Had too many "I thought you meant..." situations that cost me. The vendors who push back on this system are exactly the ones you don't want. Are you dealing more with vendors who disappear mid-job or ones who expand scope without asking?
Real Estate Agent · Memphis · Member since 2026 · 552 posts · 319 votes
8mo
Out-of-state maintenance only gets overwhelming when everything runs through you manually. The key is building a simple structure so you’re managing a system, not individual emergencies.
A few things that usually help:
Have one clear intake method for tenants (portal, email, or form) so requests don’t come through texts, calls, and random channels. That alone cuts a lot of chaos.
Build a small, reliable vendor bench instead of shopping each job. When vendors know your expectations, pricing norms, and approval process, coordination becomes faster and quality more consistent.
Standardize the workflow: request → approval threshold → before/after photos → invoice. Requiring photos and notes creates visibility without being on-site.
Most of the time drain comes from back-and-forth communication, not the repair itself. When tenants and vendors both understand the process upfront, the workload drops significantly.
Remote management works best when you’re operating procedures — not reacting to every issue in real time
Property Manager · Orange County, CA · Member since 2025 · 31 posts · 6 votes
1w
Remote maintenance only stays sane with a system, not heroics. One intake channel, a written spend limit, a small vendor bench you already trust, and before/after photos on every ticket. The hard part is still quality control when you cannot walk the unit yourself. Software helps with tracking. It does not replace someone local who can meet a vendor, verify the work, and keep a turn moving. In California I also treat entry notice and habitability timing as non-optional, because those misses cost more than the fee you were trying to save. If you do not have reliable local eyes, a PM or local coordinator is usually cheaper than the first bad emergency.
Coral Springs, FL · Member since 2018 · 464 posts · 95 votes
6d
i buy tax deeds in florida and live in new jersey, so i feel this pain. the biggest thing i learned is you can't just wing it with vendors from far away. i had a guy quote me $3k for drywall repair because he knew i wasn't local to check. now i get multiple quotes and require photos before, during, and after any work.
another thing that helps is having a tenant who's been there a while act as your eyes. they'll tell you if the contractor actually showed up or if the work looks sketchy. my current tenant sends me pics of everything, which saves me a ton of stress.
honestly though, the real answer is doing your rehab right the first time. cheap fixes come back to haunt you when you're 1,000 miles away. i'd rather spend more upfront on quality than deal with callbacks from tenants about stuff that wasn't done right.
Banker · Philadelphia · Member since 2009 · 2k+ posts · 631 votes
6d
I self-manage properties remotely, and for me the key has been building a strong local vendor network and creating a simple, repeatable process.
I have tenants document maintenance issues with photos/video whenever possible, then I send the request to a trusted local vendor. For anything beyond a minor repair, I want pricing upfront and photos or video once the work is completed.
The biggest challenge is definitely quality control. Having reliable boots on the ground—whether that's a handyman, contractor, agent, or another investor you trust—can make a huge difference when you need someone to physically verify something.
I also try to have multiple vendors for each major trade. You don't want to start searching for a plumber at 10 PM when there's water coming through a ceiling.
Remote self-management can absolutely work, but I've found that your systems and local relationships essentially become your property manager.