When has a missing record actually cost you money?

When has a missing record actually cost you money?

Member since 2026 · 52 posts · 16 votes

A record doesn't actually get tested on a normal Tuesday.

It gets tested during a security deposit dispute, an eviction, an insurance claim, or when you're handing the portfolio to someone else. Every one of those moments asks the same question. Show me everything that happened at this unit. And it usually asks months or years after the fact, not while anything's still fresh in memory.

Most tracking systems are built for the day to day. Few are built for the day someone actually challenges you on it.

Curious if anyone's had a record gap actually cost them in one of those moments. A deposit case you couldn't fully support, a claim that got denied because the documentation wasn't there. What happened.

0Reply
276 views

Most Popular Reply

Drew SygitBusiness Member
Property Manager · Royal Oak, MI · Member since 2012 · 12k+ posts · 9k+ votes
1w

Why are you asking such obvious questions?

Why are you NOT contributing any solutions?

Oh, that's right. Per your bio below, you're trying to find clients to sell to:

I'm a systems and automation developer focused on one problem: real estate agencies losing revenue because their operations haven't kept up with their lead volume.
I build and manage custom CRM systems — lead tracking, automated follow-up, pipeline visibility — tailored specifically for how real estate teams actually work. Not off-the-shelf software. Operational infrastructure built around your business.
Currently working with agencies across the world. If you're running a small-to-mid agency and your lead management is still mostly manual, that's exactly the problem I solve.

See this reply in the discussion

8 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • George PunnenPro Member
    Property Manager · Member since 2024 · 16 posts · 3 votes
    2w

    The one that stung for me was a deposit dispute early on. Tenant moved out, left real damage to a floor, I went to withhold it from the deposit and they pushed back..said it was already like that when they moved in. And I couldn't prove otherwise. I had a move-in checklist we'd both signed, but no photos and definitely no video. I gave most of the deposit back, because a checklist without images isn't evidence.

    So now we video every turnover, our maintenance guy walks the whole unit narrating the date, and do the same at move-in before keys change hands. Timestamped, stored against that specific unit and lease. Since we started that we recover basically everything recoverable at turnover, because the chargeback shows up with a video attached and the tenant just doesn't argue.

    • Kansas City · Member since 2024 · 13 posts · 0 votes
      1w

      Sounds like you already have a process in place for documenting the unit condition. In another forum just yesterday I had seen a guy post something related to this and he ultimately just created his own solution for him and his father-in-law. Home inspection - PropertyLog - Apps on Google Play.

  • G. Brian DavisPro Member
    Investor · Hatboro, PA · Member since 2016 · 2k+ posts · 850 votes
    2w

    Most of the time, nobody cares how well you documented a repair or tenant issue. Then a dispute or insurance claim comes up months later and you need to show exactly what happened.

    I’d rather keep more records than I think I need. Photos, invoices, inspection reports and tenant communication are pretty easy to save as you go. Trying to piece everything together after the fact is a lot harder.

  • Real Estate Agent · Memphis · Member since 2026 · 546 posts · 316 votes
    1w

    I don’t have a specific case where I can say one missing record cost me $X, but security deposits are probably where I’d be most concerned about it. If you can’t produce the move-in condition, move-out photos, invoice, or work order supporting a charge, you may know exactly what happened and still have a hard time proving it. That’s usually when a small documentation gap suddenly has a dollar amount attached to it.

  • Drew SygitBusiness Member
    Property Manager · Royal Oak, MI · Member since 2012 · 12k+ posts · 9k+ votes
    1w

    Why are you asking such obvious questions?

    Why are you NOT contributing any solutions?

    Oh, that's right. Per your bio below, you're trying to find clients to sell to:

    I'm a systems and automation developer focused on one problem: real estate agencies losing revenue because their operations haven't kept up with their lead volume.
    I build and manage custom CRM systems — lead tracking, automated follow-up, pipeline visibility — tailored specifically for how real estate teams actually work. Not off-the-shelf software. Operational infrastructure built around your business.
    Currently working with agencies across the world. If you're running a small-to-mid agency and your lead management is still mostly manual, that's exactly the problem I solve.

    • Member since 2026 · 52 posts · 16 votes
      1w

      Didn't realize curiosity now requires a disclaimer. Noted for next time.

  • Leo SteinBusiness Member
    Property Manager · Orange County, CA · Member since 2025 · 29 posts · 5 votes
    1w

    The expensive gap is almost always move-in condition. In California the 21-day deposit clock (and AB 2801 photo documentation) means you can’t rebuild the file after the fact. We treat every turnover like evidence: timestamped photos/video at move-in and move-out, invoices tied to the unit, and the itemized statement drafted early—not on day 20. A signed checklist alone won’t carry a dispute.

    Real Property Management Optimal 511 Reviews
  • Coral Springs, FL · Member since 2018 · 464 posts · 90 votes
    5d

    had a situation where i couldn't remember if i'd already deducted a repair expense on one property because i was tracking everything in different spreadsheets. ended up double-counting and my accountant caught it during prep. wasn't a huge amount but it was embarrassing and could've been worse if the irs had flagged it.

    the bigger cost for me has been at tax time when i'm scrambling to find invoices for repairs i did months ago. some contractors don't itemize, some pay cash, and by the time april rolls around i'm playing detective with my own money. switched to photographing every receipt immediately and dumping them in a folder by property address. simple but it works.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.