First Time Home Buyer. What market with $40k?

First Time Home Buyer. What market with $40k?

Member since 2022 · 12 posts · 9 votes

Hello, 

I am looking at buying a single family household to rent in or around Columbus. I have been doing the 50% rule and 2% rule to find potential leads in my area. I have yet to find one and was wondering if anyone had any general tips on neighborhoods to look at or general tips for a first time buyer. 

3Reply
24 views

Most Popular Reply

Remington LymanBusiness Member
Real Estate Agent · Columbus, OH · Member since 2017 · 6k+ posts · 7k+ votes
3y
Quote from @Cole Steele:

Hello, 

I am looking at buying a single family household to rent in or around Columbus. I have been doing the 50% rule and 2% rule to find potential leads in my area. I have yet to find one and was wondering if anyone had any general tips on neighborhoods to look at or general tips for a first time buyer. 


 It is pretty tough to find 2% rules in Columbus

See this reply in the discussion

10 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Randall AlanPro Member
    Investor · Lakeland, FL · Member since 2017 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    3y
    Quote from @Cole Steele:

    Hello, 

    I am looking at buying a single family household to rent in or around Columbus. I have been doing the 50% rule and 2% rule to find potential leads in my area. I have yet to find one and was wondering if anyone had any general tips on neighborhoods to look at or general tips for a first time buyer. 

    We targeted C class properties that needed some work to get started.  3-4 years ago (when we were buying heavily) this took on average about $30,000 to close on a deal, and then we would spend maybe $5,000 polishing up the place (new carpet or tile), and maybe some new paint.

    Today it’s probably tougher to find that deal.  I don’t know your location necessarily… but the concept is probably still sound even if the dollars have to shift a little north.  The hard part will be the interest rates right now blowing up your numbers.  

    What we found was that you make just as much money off a C class property as you do a higher class property… so the question became - how low are you willing to go and still want to hold the rental?  As you move below C you get into really dicey neighborhoods, or deferred maintenance nightmares, or tenant classes that you might not want to have to deal with on a regular basis.  

    hope it helps!

    Randy 
  • Member since 2022 · 12 posts · 9 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Randall Alan:
    Quote from @Cole Steele:

    Hello, 

    I am looking at buying a single family household to rent in or around Columbus. I have been doing the 50% rule and 2% rule to find potential leads in my area. I have yet to find one and was wondering if anyone had any general tips on neighborhoods to look at or general tips for a first time buyer. 

    We targeted C class properties that needed some work to get started.  3-4 years ago (when we were buying heavily) this took on average about $30,000 to close on a deal, and then we would spend maybe $5,000 polishing up the place (new carpet or tile), and maybe some new paint.

    Today it’s probably tougher to find that deal.  I don’t know your location necessarily… but the concept is probably still sound even if the dollars have to shift a little north.  The hard part will be the interest rates right now blowing up your numbers.  

    What we found was that you make just as much money off a C class property as you do a higher class property… so the question became - how low are you willing to go and still want to hold the rental?  As you move below C you get into really dicey neighborhoods, or deferred maintenance nightmares, or tenant classes that you might not want to have to deal with on a regular basis.  

    hope it helps!

    Randy 

     Thank you so much. That is the problem I’m running into is I’m getting into some questionable neighborhoods. I think I might take some time and just save up more funds or look for a different strategy like house hacking.

  • Kevin StewartPro Member
    Member since 2020 · 3 posts · 3 votes
    3y

    I am also looking in the Columbus market, and have found deals (for duplexes) that meet the 1% rule, but not the 2% rule in mostly C neighborhoods where one unit has been rehabbed and one unit needs updating. Without seeing the units (we are out of state) I find it hard to estimate what rehab costs would be. 

  • Remington LymanBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Columbus, OH · Member since 2017 · 6k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    3y
    Quote from @Cole Steele:

    Hello, 

    I am looking at buying a single family household to rent in or around Columbus. I have been doing the 50% rule and 2% rule to find potential leads in my area. I have yet to find one and was wondering if anyone had any general tips on neighborhoods to look at or general tips for a first time buyer. 


     It is pretty tough to find 2% rules in Columbus

  • Sam McCormackBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Cincinnati, OH/NKY · Member since 2021 · 1k+ posts · 833 votes
    3y

    @Cole Steele

    It will be very hard to get that 2% like many people say. 1.2% is normally a decent starting point to make a deal out of

    Sam McCormack Realtor
    View Page
  • Realtor · Columbus, OH · Member since 2022 · 13 posts · 21 votes
    3y

    Hey Cole - congrats on making an initial foray into the Columbus market. As others have said, 2% rule is pretty difficult here. However, the market is looking really promising in general in terms of appreciation across neighborhoods for the foreseeable future for a lot of reasons (neighborhood growth, steady population rise, pockets close to downtown that are still underdeveloped). 

    Even if you're around 1% with a rental in the meantime, depending on where in the city it can still make really good sense to hold for a few years and then level up from there. I'd look at places like Franklinton, Whitehall, Southern Orchards, Linden, etc.)

  • Investor · Columbus, OH · Member since 2019 · 81 posts · 87 votes
    3y

    Hi @Cole Steele, with $40,000 on hand, I'd look into possibly doing a househack. You'll be able to put less money down into purchasing the property and you'll be able to get a higher class property in a higher class neighborhood. 

  • Patrick DruryBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Columbus, OH & Cleveland OH · Member since 2021 · 1k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    3y

    @Cole Steele
    Look at doing a house hack. In Columbus OH it's extremely tough to find deals that meet the 2% rule. 

  • Realtor · Columbus Ohio, Cleveland Ohio · Member since 2022 · 849 posts · 830 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Cole Steele:

    Hello, 

    I am looking at buying a single family household to rent in or around Columbus. I have been doing the 50% rule and 2% rule to find potential leads in my area. I have yet to find one and was wondering if anyone had any general tips on neighborhoods to look at or general tips for a first time buyer. 

    2% are very very difucult to find in Columbus. Most of what I'm seeing is .75% - 1% Is house hacking an option? If you house hacked a duplex in 43202 or somewhere comparable you'd be in a decent neighborhood and while you may not be cashflow positive, you'd hardly be paying anything for rent + you'd be building equity.

  • Specialist · Columbus, OH · Member since 2019 · 110 posts · 102 votes
    3y

    I'm up in Mansfield, about an hour North of Columbus, and there are deals here for around 40K, inlcuding duplexes. This is a good middle ground between Columbus and Cleveland in my opinion, and not as saturated with competing investors.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.