PIP Group / PIP East / PIP West

PIP Group / PIP East / PIP West

Investor · Richmond, VA · Member since 2013 · 347 posts · 191 votes

I mentioned in a separate post over a year ago that I had bought some tax liens through PIP East and was hopeful on the prospect of obtaining a property that way. My experience was an example of "be careful what you wish for". But I wanted to do a new post about working with this company. Bottom line was that they did provide the services they claimed they would do related to obtaining tax liens and, if not redeemed, going through the foreclosure process to obtain the deed. The entire process took longer than I expected. It took about 15 months from initial purchase to obtaining the deeds on two of the five liens I purchased. I also expected more help with selling the properties once I got the deeds. That's part of what they said they would do, but isn't the main focus of their business. I am most familiar with their work with liens in Illinois since that is what I purchased.

I am not sure of the current business model for PIP but at the time I started working with them in mid-2013 they had two sets of customers for the tax lien deals they put together. The first group were people who wanted to buy a lien and collect the proceeds from penalties and interest for the first 24 to 30 months (less the fees that PIP charges for obtaining the liens). The second group are people who want to buy those liens at about the 24 to 30 month mark in hopes of being able to foreclose once the property goes past the 36 month limit without being redeemed. I was part of the second group.

PIP provided a long list of properties that were ready to switch hands from group 1 to group 2. It was up to me to review all the properties and select what I wanted to purchase. They did provide photos and a few sentences about the condition of the property. There are entire books and courses devoted to doing due diligence on buying a tax lien for possible foreclosure. My own efforts were pretty much limited to google street view and some basic info on the local county or city property records. Because of the fees charged by PIP and the fact that group 2 is buying out group 1 you have to be sure that the remaining penalties will at least cover the cost of the lien. This favors higher priced liens to make the numbers work.

I wound up buying five liens on properties in Illinois. Three of these redeemed at 1, 3 and 6 months after purchase with returns of 24, 0 and -9%. In total those three returned 6%. Not bad considering the main plan was to at least break even on any that redeemed.

Two of the properties moved forward to foreclosure. What I didn't realize when I started down this path was that there would be at least one to two more years worth of taxes still to pay before all was said and done. For one property I had to come up with another $16k to pay the additional back taxes and foreclosure fees. That would have been the right time for me to bail, but since I had $8k into it already and the house (I thought) was worth about $100k I pushed ahead. I figured even if I sold at 50% I would still double my money. My main contact at PIP was looking at it the same way. So I was hearing what I wanted to hear. I don't think they were being dishonest. I think they just didn't have the full detail on every area or neighborhood given the volume of business they do. This is where some new google street view photos of not just this home but the surrounding area would have shown me the number of boarded up homes in the area and a bit more research would have shown the foreclosures being sold at $10k or so. The folks at PIP had a couple of potential outlets including selling to their investors and selling bundles of homes to larger firms. Every month or so I spoke with my contact there to find out if any leads were popping up that might be willing to pay enough to at least cover what I had in this deal. I had other projects going on closer to home so I let this ride for quite a while (i.e. almost a year) before I realized that I was going to have to take action myself to unload the property. Eventually I contacted local real estate agents who confirmed the $7 to $10k price points in the area. One of them sent the deal out to her investors but no bites. To not drag this out too far .. bottom line is that I sold this via a craigslist ad for $8000. By that point I felt fortunate to find anyone who wanted this property. So I lost about $18k on that deal.

On the other foreclosure things turned out a bit better but I still wound up doing more to coordinate the sale than I had expected. One thing I didn't realize about this home is that it was in a town of only about 4000 people. I took action a bit sooner on this one, also listing on craigslist. Amazingly there was someone trying to find out what was going on with that particular house who googled the address and found my ad. I wound up selling to her with owner financing (after reading up quite a bit on the Dodd-Frank implications of that). In order to make that happen I had to arrange to replace the furnace and all the plumbing. Fortunately I was able to connect with a good contractor who could take care of things at a reasonable cost. For both of these deals I had to find a lawyer in Illinois to work with on the contracts and, for this home, the financing agreement. On this deal I had a total of about $21k into it and sold it for $28k with seller financing at 8%. In a few years I plan to sell the note so the final tally won't be known til then. Between the two houses I'll lose some money but not enough to make a huge dent in my overall investing plan.

Would I do this again? Probably not, but mainly because I would prefer to focus on deals in my local area that I can go see. As you can tell from my post, most of what I wrote had to do with my own decisions and actions and not as much about what PIP did or didn't do. If you are interested in working with them just make sure you are clear about their fees, try to estimate the total cost from start to finish and plan on the whole process taking a year or so. Compare that to whatever else you could be doing with your money and do your due diligence.

6Reply
199 views

Most Popular Reply

Real Estate Professional · West Palm Beach, FL · Member since 2012 · 23k+ posts · 13k+ votes
10y

Yep, this has been my knock on all the "tax lien buying services" from the get go.  They say 'we have no competition on interest rates when we buy, since we buy from the county, over the counter".  Exactly, these liens "bear the maximum interest rate offered by the county" simply because None Of The Other Bidders Wanted Them, because they were useless parcels, hence they went to the county.  How is that Ever going to be a smart buying strategy?

See this reply in the discussion

67 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Wholesaler · Lehi, UT · Member since 2015 · 333 posts · 144 votes
    8y

    @Krupal Jennapureddy TX does have some details in the investing but redeemable tax deeds are a real thing there.  You will be able to get a listing of the delinquent "up for sale" listing after the 15th of the month.  The auctions take place the first Tuesday of every month providing they have one.  Some times there won't be an auction due to the county or lack of properties, etc.  Once you have acquired a listing that you want you to work on keep in mind that you will not have the same amount of properties on the day of the sale even.  If you are the winning bidder you will be the highest bidder and the opening bid price will be 5 years of delinquent taxes if it has a structure on it.  If not it will be 3 or 4 years of delinquent taxes for the opening bid.  This is dependent on the type of property it is.  

    You will need to pre-register for the auction and make sure that you do not owe any taxes in TX.  The listings will be several law firms but the main one is www.lgbs.com or publicans.  It will have all three types of sales the first initial sale, the resale and the stuck off properties.  The struck off properties will have already gone through the two sales and are up for sale but you may get the properties for less.  There are ways to get what I would call after the auction or struck off properties from some of the school districts.  Every taxing entity may have availability.  You can look at www.pbfcm.com and go to tax sale then tax re-sales.  You will see listings from many counties here. Not every county will be listed but there are some that will be available you may like.  They will be listed under the independent school districts.  You can also look at the trust properties from some of the counties and they will have listings online for you to submit such as a sealed bid where you can make an offer and get properties that way.  There's lots of opportunity in the state of TX if you want to do it yourself.  You may get let down at the auction the first time but once you get a feel for the prices and what is realistic it will be easy to participate.  Let us know how you do. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Scottsdale, AZ · Member since 2012 · 314 posts · 146 votes
    8y

    BP keeps removing my informational posts as I continue to try to provide information to investors. Here's another article about PIP's alleged wrongdoing from Veritas News:

    Are Tax Lien Investments the Latest Real Estate Ripoff?

    November 23, 2013

    Article from AllGov that most recently published this quote also details just how one-sided these tax lien investments and resulting foreclosures can be:

    This seems like a guaranteed windfall profit for investors, but this is deceptive. Many unscrupulous companies that actually buy and resell these tax liens to the end investor do not even understand the process and make wildly untrue promises to their customers. Tax and foreclosure laws vary greatly from state to state and have quite obviously changed drastically since the most recent foreclosure crisis. Yet these tax lien investment companies, such as PIP Group, headed up by Don Fullman and Charles Sells continue to sell their customers on tax lien investments across state lines.

    One frustrated customer of PIP Group who invested heavily in tax liens that were not eligible to use as foreclosure collateral said they contacted PIP numerous times and have had absolutely no luck getting any restitution or even an explanation for why these investments have all failed to produce any profit.

    It’s likely that many of these bunk investments go unreported due to the nature of the investor and the complicated process which strings them out and leaves them in the dark, without a resolution.

    PIP Group is just one of the many tax lien companies with customer complaints and those numbers appear to be growing every day. (Gord Brody – VNN)

  • Rental Property Investor · Scottsdale, AZ · Member since 2012 · 314 posts · 146 votes
    8y

    Tax Lien Investment Company, PIP West, Responds to Criticism

    January 30, 2014 // By: Gord Brody // Op-Ed // Comments are off

    SEE MORE: ARBITRATION 101 – HOW IT AFFECTS THE EVERY DAY CONSUMER (VNN – Sam Schoenfeld)

    Our source for the complaint against a tax lien investing firm, PIP Group, has documentation, in their possession, which alleges fraud. This is a serious assertion to be sure, by the source is very confident in their position.

    One person who gladly says she refers a lot of business to PIP Group goes by the monicker, “The Tax Lien Lady.” Her real name is Joanne Musa and her website asks, smattered with bold type,

    Tax lien investing is commonly portrayed as “can’t miss,” which raises red flags in the eyes of discerning investors. When Musa was asked for comment about our previous piece on this subject, Are Tax Lien Investments the Latest Real Estate Ripoff?, she had this to say in an e-mail:

    Almost immediately, we received another email, this time from Charles Sells, one of the principles of PIP Group, with an obviously angry tone:

    Sells also threatened to turn this matter over to their attorney “for review.” Sells and Don Fullman are principles of PIP Group, which sometimes goes by “PIP West” and “Platinum Investment Properties Group.” We reached out to Charles for elaboration on the email sent to this writer and have not seen a response. For Sells first instinct to be that he needs to get an attorney involved and then to not respond to the request for further comment, lends itself to PIP Group having a larger problem at hand and some dirty laundry they do not want to see the light of day.

    As Sells mentioned in his email, there certainly are scams in any industry and his is no different. In fact, stories about scams in tax lien investing are becoming more and more common as some of them have had time to run their course and be reported. One such scam just netted a Federal Indictment for 6 investors in New Jersey. From a November 2013 News Release by the US Department of Justice

    With unclear laws from state to state, a somewhat secretive profit strategy that some claim is immune to the risks of investing that, say, the stock market is subject to, the buyer should definitely beware of this type of investment. If one could make a comparison, it’s somewhat similar to options trading, which is a very advanced form of investing in contracts that bet on the price of a common stock. If the contracts turn out to be unprofitable, they are then rendered valueless and the investor is out all of the money they put in, with nothing in return but worthless paper.

    Buyer beware indeed.

  • Investor · Kansas City, MO · Member since 2016 · 1 post · 0 votes
    8y

    I read most of the thread on PIP Group, and wanted to add my experiences to the discussion. I started in real estate by investing in tax liens, and found out on my own that there is no substitute for a detailed understanding of the laws governing tax liens wherever you are investing. I was initially attracted to PIP Group because of their reputation in Illinois, where liens can be very profitable but also pretty vexing. For a variety of reasons, instead of investing in tax liens with PIP, I invested in a rehab property that I believe was acquired at auction. Of course, no matter what I might say, there is risk in all real estate investing, so I'm sure that it's quite possible to have a bad experience with a PIP Group investment, but also consider that (at least for me) I've had more than a couple of disappointments that have been completely under my control! I found the folks at PIP to be very honest and transparent, and now that they've wrapped up the work on our third fix/flip property, I can only say good things about them. They've been patient and thorough in answering my many questions, honest in our financial dealings, and have done some very nice rehab work very efficiently. And beyond efficiency, I would hesitate to guess how many collective years of experience they have, and I believe that experience is a great asset to investors who want to leverage their capabilities and hopefully get a really healthy return with zero time and effort. I want to be clear though, that there are no guarantees in real estate investing. It's fraught with risk. But as far as the PIP Group people go, they have been nothing but helpful to me, and I have enjoyed a very good ROI with no effort on my part.. That's my experience with them. I hope this is helpful to someone who is considering doing a little 'hands off' investing.

  • Real Estate Investor · Seattle, WA · Member since 2015 · 14 posts · 5 votes
    8y

    I have invested with PIP multiple times during the last 21 months and found them responsive and the redemptions checks keep coming so I have been happy with their services.

  • Investor · Irvine, CA · Member since 2014 · 81 posts · 30 votes
    7y

    I would echo Steve Cobb with my comments concerning PIP.  I started investing in ILL. Tax liens first in 2011 and then in 2013 with PIP. My redemption rate overall has been over 90 percent (would be 100 percent except are few are pending SIE.

    ANYONE investing in tax liens in ILL. should consult with an attorney licensed in that state. Also individuals need to become  well versed on the statutes in that state BEFORE investing. I would consider that basic due diligence.

    Secondly, the life cycle of tax liens vary and is best to complete a full cycle before putting more money in .... unless your a real risk taker and like to double down. Just my opinion.

    Third, be prepared for an outcome for those liens that don't redeem. In reading the comments there seems to be a lack of understanding on the value of the liens that don't redeem. In short confusion between as is value, ARV and tax assessed value.

     I have talked to a few potential investors about doing tax liens in ILL and unless someone is willing to deal with rehabbing then I tell them to go elsewhere. Only being prepared for the best possible outcome is not investing its gambling. 

  • Ned CareyPro Member
    Moderator
    Investor · Baltimore, MD · Member since 2008 · 17k+ posts · 13k+ votes
    7y

    @Steve Harlow 

    That is exactly what I have been preaching for years. You have no idea what your return is until the last lien in your portfolio is gone. It often takes years for an investor to realize they have lost money or wasted an incredible amount of time for a pittance of a return.

  • Member since 2019 · 1 post · 0 votes
    7y

    We have just recently completed our 5th sale with PIP and a 6th one waiting. PIP has been stellar in their handling of the properties and sales. We had one property that was hit by 2 hurricanes. There was a problem with the insurance on the property and PIP covered the costs. The property finally sold. Even knowing we aren't their biggest client, if Lena isn't able to talk to us right away, she always gets back to us in a short period of time. We checked out PIP before we did much investing with them and only found one client that had an issue, and it was because the client didn't act on a tax lean that they had. PIP stepped up and fixed the problem that the client created. We plan on continuing to invest with PIP to help  to grow our retirement  and meet our financial goals. Far better than the stock market!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.