Real Estate Market in Asheville NC

Real Estate Market in Asheville NC

Real Estate Agent · Fayetteville, NC · Member since 2022 · 213 posts · 293 votes

3 Month Update for Asheville NC: Previous post in Market Data Thread -https://www.biggerpockets.com/...

*This is the second post in Asheville NC Market Data Thread*

Asheville is a medium sized city positioned south west in the state, supporting a population of around 96,000 and employing about 48k people.

Asheville's annual population growth rate is sitting around 1.16% which is phenomenal, 3.55% growth since the 2020 Consensus has been recorded. Persons over 65 account for ~19.5% of the population. Median age of 41, 17.3 min average commute to work, and a bit over 4,500 veterans locally. Asheville is NC's 11th largest city, and 363rd largest in the US. 

Asheville has been working on many projects here lately, and I will list some of them now; A Biltmore development plan, 360 HIlliard Development - affordable and mixed income community, city hall elevators, Dearview community center, looking to rebuild/replace the electric substation in downtown, Haywood st, Jake Rusher Park, Linwood Community Center, Magnolia Park, Mtn Side Park/Memorial Stadium/Oakhurst Park refurbishments and repairs, onsite solar power for facilities across the county, outdoor dining on public street initiatives, playground renovations, Richmond Hill Park, Splashville is getting some needed refurbishments, Tempie Avery Community Center, Vermont Ave Sidewalks. 

Also want to briefly mention the bridge over 1-26 by the Blue Ridge Parkway, is expected to be half completed by mid-2023. 

A lot of those are bond projects, some are in the middle of completion, a couple are proposed, and many are ready to get started. 

Asheville's largest employers are Mission Health System, Buncombe County Schools System and Ingles Markets. Each other these respectively employ over 3,000 people. Likewise the state and county employ a sizable amount of workforce as well.

Asheville's largest schools are Asheville-Buncombe Technical Community College, and University of North Carolina at Asheville. 2020 had the reported student population in Asheville at 10,158 students. ABTCC accounts for 6,601 of those, with a 29% full-time student rate as of 2020.

Let's talk crime, then numbers. Asheville sits at a 1 out 100 on the crime index (with 100 being the safest), if you look at neighborhood scout. Which I don't deem them having reliable information on Asheville. If you look at Asheville's police department, they'll give you everything except the crime rates. I took a peek at some community maps, and victim maps, and what I found was 38,533 victims reporting crimes since 2017. Breaking them down yearly, looks like we ended 2021 at 7728 crimes reported which was 3% down from 2020, and 8% down from 2019. 2019 looks like a peak year at 8,705, which was 19% higher than 2018. That's about the most reliable data I could find without a public records request. https://police-transparency-av... -Section to download their inputted data into this. Doing some simple math, with the numbers I could find, it looks like the crime rate would come out to 0.08, compared to national averages, looks like Asheville is not crime ridden as Neighborhood scout may suggest. 

The median home value is around $363,000, median sale price is somewhere near $455,000. Average DOM around 65 with average homes getting 2% under list and pending in 62 days, and hot homes are getting an average of at list and pending in 34 days. Some homes are getting multiple offers, not as much traction as other places, but I'd consider it "somewhat" Competitive for the deals that are going, but Asheville is on a lot people's radar, the buyer's come out for a right deal and snatch them very quickly, and STRs around Asheville are very popular.

About a 50.6% owner occupied ratio. SFH 62% MFH 35%. Poverty rate is around 13.4%, there is a real potential for affordable housing in this market.

Asheville has a cost of living ranked as 3/50th most expensive in NC, which means as far as NC is concerned it is boasting some of the heftiest cost of living associated with the state. Asheville is known as a very nice area of NC. 

Asheville most recent figure for GDP is at $24.3 Billion, in 2018 they were at $21.1 Billion. Pretty solid. 

I of course have to mention appreciation in Asheville, looks like the average annual appreciation rate is sitting around 5.59% since 2000. Extremely solid appreciation and growth, and I imagine a good portion of that can be attributed to recent years. 

To conclude Asheville is a lovely city in the mountains, and with plenty to do plenty to see and a city that is actively trying to accommodate the growing number of people living in and around the city, Asheville makes for a great potential investment area. The costs to get in are not as friendly as other areas in the state, as you are looking at one of the more expensive parts of NC to live in- that said however, a quick 20-30 minute drive away from Asheville gives investors a lot to work with in terms of STRs, Flips, and LTRs. Asheville tends to be a pretty strict on where STRs can be located. I've spoken with many investors who look to some of the satellite areas to invest in their STRs. 

I grew up and spent many times hiking and camping in and around Asheville, and have many fond memories of visiting there. 

Talk at you again in 3 months Asheville!

As always looking for questions, comments, concerns, and any feedback. It's impossible to know everything about a market, so any value add information is expressly desired, and I appreciate it! I'm looking to connect with more people on here, so please reach out!

Cheers!

For more reading and sources:

https://www.ashevillenc.gov/pr...

https://www.redfin.com/city/55...

https://www.realtor.com/reales...

https://www.census.gov/quickfa...

https://worldpopulationreview....

https://censusreporter.org/pro...

https://datausa.io/profile/geo...

https://datausa.io/profile/uni...

https://www.neighborhoodscout.... 

https://www.citizen-times.com/...

https://livingcost.org/cost/un...

https://fred.stlouisfed.org/se...

https://www.forbes.com/places/...

https://police-transparency-av...

https://police-transparency-av...

https://www.communitycrimemap....

4Reply
9 views

Most Popular Reply

Lender · Asheville, NC · Member since 2020 · 463 posts · 507 votes
3y

Hey @Jared Trindade. Thanks for asking. I've had an MTR in Asheville city limits for about 5 years, and launched a cabin in Bryson City last year. Regarding Asheville proper, I don't think it's great for investment. Many of my friends and lending clients do great with STR in quieter, serene settings just outside Asheville. As I'm sure you're aware, in Asheville proper most homes cannot be rented STR, or are otherwise not too charming for such. And cash-flowing on an LTR in Asheville is nearly impossible, unless you bought a while ago, in part because wages for local employment are very low relative to the cost of living. And then there's small multi. We don't have much in that regard, and what we do have isn't too impressive regarding income. Of course, appreciation is pretty great here, but if the rent doesn't at least pay the bills...

One reason I'm bullish on Western NC is that many people, myself included, move here for irrational, lifestyle reasons. Meaning, other towns might attract people due to job opportunities, family, etc. Here, I constantly encounter people that are intent on moving here, regardless of the cost, due to the beauty of the mountains, the year-round outdoors opportunities, the feel and vibe, their sport (ex: mountain biking), etc. If you want some insurance regarding appreciation, I think that's the kind of market to buy in...one where certain people will continue to flock regardless of the cost.

See this reply in the discussion

15 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Asheville · Member since 2019 · 55 posts · 23 votes
    3y

    woo asheville

  • Bonnie LowPro Member
    Lender · Asheville, NC · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    3y

    Thanks for all this information! We're in contract in Lake Lure and look forward to visiting Asheville soon.

  • Lender · Asheville, NC · Member since 2020 · 463 posts · 507 votes
    3y

    Nice work here, @Jared Trindade. Asheville, and the surrounding area, is an amazing place to live and invest! Moved here 8 years ago. So glad we did.

  • Real Estate Agent · Fayetteville, NC · Member since 2022 · 213 posts · 293 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Mitch Davidson:

    Nice work here, @Jared Trindade. Asheville, and the surrounding area, is an amazing place to live and invest! Moved here 8 years ago. So glad we did.


     Have you ever been to the Panthertown Mountains? Been hiking there a few times, thoroughly enjoyed that area! 

    Glad you love it, and are finding success in the area, what's your main strategy? STRs?

  • Lender · Asheville, NC · Member since 2020 · 463 posts · 507 votes
    3y

    Hey @Jared Trindade. Thanks for asking. I've had an MTR in Asheville city limits for about 5 years, and launched a cabin in Bryson City last year. Regarding Asheville proper, I don't think it's great for investment. Many of my friends and lending clients do great with STR in quieter, serene settings just outside Asheville. As I'm sure you're aware, in Asheville proper most homes cannot be rented STR, or are otherwise not too charming for such. And cash-flowing on an LTR in Asheville is nearly impossible, unless you bought a while ago, in part because wages for local employment are very low relative to the cost of living. And then there's small multi. We don't have much in that regard, and what we do have isn't too impressive regarding income. Of course, appreciation is pretty great here, but if the rent doesn't at least pay the bills...

    One reason I'm bullish on Western NC is that many people, myself included, move here for irrational, lifestyle reasons. Meaning, other towns might attract people due to job opportunities, family, etc. Here, I constantly encounter people that are intent on moving here, regardless of the cost, due to the beauty of the mountains, the year-round outdoors opportunities, the feel and vibe, their sport (ex: mountain biking), etc. If you want some insurance regarding appreciation, I think that's the kind of market to buy in...one where certain people will continue to flock regardless of the cost.

  • Lender · Asheville, NC · Member since 2020 · 463 posts · 507 votes
    3y

    @Jared Trindade. For example. I met a guy by phone the other day who plans to move here from Florida. He had a story very similar to several others I've talked to lately. He travels to the area to ride the mountain bike parks that my son, friends, and I get to ride regularly. Many of these places have been around for a long time, but aren't too well advertised because they're state or federal parks. Lately, several new bike parks have opened (Kanuga, Rock Creed, Riveter, etc.), and are doing a great job with social media. Thus, we seem poised to add quite a few bikers to the area in the coming years, even if cost of housing is significantly higher than where they're coming from.

  • Real Estate Agent · Fayetteville, NC · Member since 2022 · 213 posts · 293 votes
    3y

    @Mitch Davidson

    Very glad that you dropped by this post! Thank you for sharing that with me, I appreciate the insight, and I am sure anyone else reading this post will also take a lot of value from what you said. 

    I like the way you are analyzing you strategy, and appreciate you sharing. You also make a very great point regarding a market that people move to, not because of anything, except the surrounding terrain. It creates a unique atmosphere- where like you said people want to move to no matter what, because they are simply drawn to the beauty of the location. 

    Thanks again Mitch!

  • Investor · Asheville, NC · Member since 2020 · 56 posts · 33 votes
    3y

    @Mitch Davidson Having also moved here for purely 'irrational reasons' and taking a pay cut to do it, your post made me chuckle. I couldn't agree more. I bet, though, that within the BP community, those of us who are pursuing REI as a means to lifestyle freedom might argue that those irrational reasons are perhaps the most rational reasons of all!

  • Lender · Asheville, NC · Member since 2020 · 463 posts · 507 votes
    3y
    Quote from @John Whitfield:

    @Mitch Davidson Having also moved here for purely 'irrational reasons' and taking a pay cut to do it, your post made me chuckle. I couldn't agree more. I bet, though, that within the BP community, those of us who are pursuing REI as a means to lifestyle freedom might argue that those irrational reasons are perhaps the most rational reasons of all!


    Indeed! I could perhaps better phrase it. Many people come here for reasons that can cause them to defy reason if need be. Some of us uprooted our kids, ticked off our friends and family, took a pay cut, took a big increase in housing expense, etc., because we just HAD TO get to Asheville or WNC, to have the trails in our backyard, to have the small agriculture community, to be among the artists, for the mountain biking, you name it. When people are moving to an area with a mindset like that, they’ll pay more for the home I’m selling.

  • Investor · Asheville, NC · Member since 2020 · 56 posts · 33 votes
    3y

    I totally agree, Mitch.  We moved to the Asheville area simply because of how awesome it is, and I'm certain we're not alone.

  • Investor · Hendersonville, NC · Member since 2013 · 754 posts · 281 votes
    3y

    John it's funny I am in a class that the Hendersonville Sheriff's Dept puts on annually--it brings citizens up to speed about what the dept values, how it functions, etc. Really in-depth. Kind of a rah-rah session but provides some interesting polarized information vis-a-vis what one sees on the news with the dire need for police reform and such. Anywho, it's remarkable how many conservatives around these parts disdain Asheville. One hears a lot of pooh-poohing of not only police-related issues, but just kind of stuff in general. A rough quote from an attendee to a deputy giving a presentation is, "Thank you guys for not allowing Henderson County to become what Buncombe has become!" followed by head-nodding and thumbs up'ing. 

    Well, my two cents when you said how awesome Asheville is :)

  • Lender · Asheville, NC · Member since 2020 · 463 posts · 507 votes
    3y

    @Jason Merchey. Totally agree that our approach to crime is miserable failure. For me though, there are many positives that outweigh that issue. 

  • Investor · Hendersonville, NC · Member since 2013 · 754 posts · 281 votes
    3y

    Yes, yes, I got ya. I recently heard that the APD Chief was like "We need to be the highest paid department in North Carolina" or some similar quote. I think he meant that there are so many vacancies on the force, and so much scrutiny of the job cops are doing, and so many social problems such as homelessness and stress brought on by the need to make $20-$30 an hour minimum to live here, that if the pay doesn't incentivize good cops coming here then Asheville is facing a crime and safety catastrophe that has in fact already begun. Heck, with the dearth of cops on the street and the condition of the Buncombe County jail, I am loathe to even go there sometimes. It's too bad, too, because in 2019 when I started thinking about moving to town, I was so impressed by so much around town.... 

  • Investor · Asheville, NC · Member since 2020 · 56 posts · 33 votes
    3y

    @Jason Merchey  It seems that so much of what's going on right now is characterized by polarized views and over-reaction.  Hopefully, Buncombe County will regroup and swing back towards a more reasonable middle ground.  Admittedly, while I love living in the area (Black Mountain specifically), some of the current trends regarding crime rate definitely give me pause when I start thinking about how best to invest in the area.

  • Investor · Hendersonville, NC · Member since 2013 · 754 posts · 281 votes
    3y
    Quote from @John Whitfield:

    @Jason Merchey  It seems that so much of what's going on right now is characterized by polarized views and over-reaction.  Hopefully, Buncombe County will regroup and swing back towards a more reasonable middle ground.  Admittedly, while I love living in the area (Black Mountain specifically), some of the current trends regarding crime rate definitely give me pause when I start thinking about how best to invest in the area.

    Yes, if I were investing locally, I would be a bit wary of the whole thing. I read a while back that APD wasn't even responding to property crimes--to focus on violent crime. Maybe they shifted back but for a minute there it was pretty unsettling. Ya gotta have law and order or nothing else works.
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.