https://www.redfin.com/news/ho...
Looking at various chart above, my impression is this 2023 market is still too strong , market is following 2022 price/inventory pattern except with even lower inventory than 2022 and pushing the price of May 2023 to be equal to May 2022.
I guess SEC action to 'mini crash' the real estate failed miserably LOL It's just so strange that market is too strong that almost nobody willing to sell.
Almost everyone that's predicting a crash in November 2022 is wrong, @James Hamling
The problem is you can’t use average selling price. People are much less likely to sell a $600k house with a Locked in 3% mortgage than a $150k condo with one. So now you have a bunch of low end sales moving the “average”.
People who have to move because of financial reasons (though I don’t see much of that in Vegas) ar usually singles in smaller cheaper housing. People selling to move in with new spouses or significant others are usually selling smaller properties. Young people willing to move to new markets for job opportunities or leaving home or school same story. Honestly I can’t believe anyone is selling who doesn’t have to. Unless they are downsizing as they get older or came in to a windfall.
We’re back to anything reasonable being under contract in a week and waiting lists for new homes. Especially single story homes.
https://www.redfin.com/news/ho...
Looking at various chart above, my impression is this 2023 market is still too strong , market is following 2022 price/inventory pattern except with even lower inventory than 2022 and pushing the price of May 2023 to be equal to May 2022.
I guess SEC action to 'mini crash' the real estate failed miserably LOL It's just so strange that market is too strong that almost nobody willing to sell.
Almost everyone that's predicting a crash in November 2022 is wrong, @James Hamling

479k to 436k for median sales price according to St. Louis fed. This is the chart I was always showing in the infamous several month long post last year here. Since then, 9 percent drop in a quarter is pretty strong, we should see q2 soon. Seems like exactly as I was predicting. We will see 20 percent peak to trough by end of this year which was my base case. Surely anyone who rented 12 months ago as opposed to buying is in a much better situation in 99 percent of cases. Rents have dropped pretty significantly in most markets as well.
https://www.redfin.com/news/ho...
Looking at various chart above, my impression is this 2023 market is still too strong , market is following 2022 price/inventory pattern except with even lower inventory than 2022 and pushing the price of May 2023 to be equal to May 2022.
I guess SEC action to 'mini crash' the real estate failed miserably LOL It's just so strange that market is too strong that almost nobody willing to sell.
Almost everyone that's predicting a crash in November 2022 is wrong, @James Hamling

479k to 436k for median sales price according to St. Louis fed. This is the chart I was always showing in the infamous several month long post last year here. Since then, 9 percent drop in a quarter is pretty strong, we should see q2 soon. Seems like exactly as I was predicting. We will see 20 percent peak to trough by end of this year which was my base case. Surely anyone who rented 12 months ago as opposed to buying is in a much better situation in 99 percent of cases. Rents have dropped pretty significantly in most markets as well.
HUD is having lagging data. Actually I'm surprised how could May 2023 is reaching May 2022 price level --per Redfin data LOL.
https://www.redfin.com/news/ho...
Looking at various chart above, my impression is this 2023 market is still too strong , market is following 2022 price/inventory pattern except with even lower inventory than 2022 and pushing the price of May 2023 to be equal to May 2022.
I guess SEC action to 'mini crash' the real estate failed miserably LOL It's just so strange that market is too strong that almost nobody willing to sell.
Almost everyone that's predicting a crash in November 2022 is wrong, @James Hamling

479k to 436k for median sales price according to St. Louis fed. This is the chart I was always showing in the infamous several month long post last year here. Since then, 9 percent drop in a quarter is pretty strong, we should see q2 soon. Seems like exactly as I was predicting. We will see 20 percent peak to trough by end of this year which was my base case. Surely anyone who rented 12 months ago as opposed to buying is in a much better situation in 99 percent of cases. Rents have dropped pretty significantly in most markets as well.
HUD is having lagging data. Actually I'm surprised how could May 2023 is reaching May 2022 price level --per Redfin data LOL.
There's so many sources of data that change. Need to pick one source and stick to it. I've been using HUD since last year as my metric since since it filters out the noise. Redfin cherry picking stats.
Even if we assume just a 4 percent drop, factor in being able to get 4-5 percent risk free on treasuries and you are talking about a 8-10 percent loss staying out of the housing market. Housing can’t even keep up with treasuries now. Just the start of the cycle too.
https://fortune.com/2023/06/03...
find me someone 12 months ago that sold a house and decided to rent this year that regrets that decision. This is a first since the GFC where this is accurate.
Car market has plunged as well. When you have 10 trillion dollars in liquidity during Covid it takes a while to flush it out. Also student loan payments are resuming in September, there goes $300-$500 a month for most people under 40.
Going to need Powell to cut rates by end of year or it will get much worse.
https://www.redfin.com/news/ho...
Looking at various chart above, my impression is this 2023 market is still too strong , market is following 2022 price/inventory pattern except with even lower inventory than 2022 and pushing the price of May 2023 to be equal to May 2022.
I guess SEC action to 'mini crash' the real estate failed miserably LOL It's just so strange that market is too strong that almost nobody willing to sell.
Almost everyone that's predicting a crash in November 2022 is wrong, @James Hamling

479k to 436k for median sales price according to St. Louis fed. This is the chart I was always showing in the infamous several month long post last year here. Since then, 9 percent drop in a quarter is pretty strong, we should see q2 soon. Seems like exactly as I was predicting. We will see 20 percent peak to trough by end of this year which was my base case. Surely anyone who rented 12 months ago as opposed to buying is in a much better situation in 99 percent of cases. Rents have dropped pretty significantly in most markets as well.
HUD is having lagging data. Actually I'm surprised how could May 2023 is reaching May 2022 price level --per Redfin data LOL.
There's so many sources of data that change. Need to pick one source and stick to it. I've been using HUD since last year as my metric since since it filters out the noise. Redfin cherry picking stats.
Even if we assume just a 4 percent drop, factor in being able to get 4-5 percent risk free on treasuries and you are talking about a 8-10 percent loss staying out of the housing market. Housing can’t even keep up with treasuries now. Just the start of the cycle too.
https://fortune.com/2023/06/03...
find me someone 12 months ago that sold a house and decided to rent this year that regrets that decision. This is a first since the GFC where this is accurate.
Car market has plunged as well. When you have 10 trillion dollars in liquidity during Covid it takes a while to flush it out. Also student loan payments are resuming in September, there goes $300-$500 a month for most people under 40.
Going to need Powell to cut rates by end of year or it will get much worse.
I guess Q3-Q4 2023 would be interesting to watch whether it would be flat line or reduced like Q3-Q4 2022.
In the long run, HUD data would follow the more reliable RFIN data.
Per SEC we would not see rate decrease this year but 2024 is set. I guess we have to write a book why the gov/SEC failed to create housing crisis LOL
The problem is you can’t use average selling price. People are much less likely to sell a $600k house with a Locked in 3% mortgage than a $150k condo with one. So now you have a bunch of low end sales moving the “average”.
People who have to move because of financial reasons (though I don’t see much of that in Vegas) ar usually singles in smaller cheaper housing. People selling to move in with new spouses or significant others are usually selling smaller properties. Young people willing to move to new markets for job opportunities or leaving home or school same story. Honestly I can’t believe anyone is selling who doesn’t have to. Unless they are downsizing as they get older or came in to a windfall.
We’re back to anything reasonable being under contract in a week and waiting lists for new homes. Especially single story homes.
The problem is you can’t use average selling price. People are much less likely to sell a $600k house with a Locked in 3% mortgage than a $150k condo with one. So now you have a bunch of low end sales moving the “average”.
People who have to move because of financial reasons (though I don’t see much of that in Vegas) ar usually singles in smaller cheaper housing. People selling to move in with new spouses or significant others are usually selling smaller properties. Young people willing to move to new markets for job opportunities or leaving home or school same story. Honestly I can’t believe anyone is selling who doesn’t have to. Unless they are downsizing as they get older or came in to a windfall.
We’re back to anything reasonable being under contract in a week and waiting lists for new homes. Especially single story homes.
Big difference between average and median. I use median because it filters out what you describe.
The problem is you can’t use average selling price. People are much less likely to sell a $600k house with a Locked in 3% mortgage than a $150k condo with one. So now you have a bunch of low end sales moving the “average”.
People who have to move because of financial reasons (though I don’t see much of that in Vegas) ar usually singles in smaller cheaper housing. People selling to move in with new spouses or significant others are usually selling smaller properties. Young people willing to move to new markets for job opportunities or leaving home or school same story. Honestly I can’t believe anyone is selling who doesn’t have to. Unless they are downsizing as they get older or came in to a windfall.
We’re back to anything reasonable being under contract in a week and waiting lists for new homes. Especially single story homes.
Big difference between average and median. I use median because it filters out what you describe.
True, but what really matter here is the trend.
How could market in 2023 is so strong is sometimes beyond me but I guess, wage increase is actually still running faster than inflation and home appreciation, not to mention that 80% of homeowners are having 75% LTV and above in their house.
If you compare this to commercial like office, we're really in very different path.
Except median can make the numbers skew even more…especially as sales and inventory drop if one market segment isn’t listing their homes.
Imagine you have 100 sales. All houses have 1 of 5 prices.
10 for a million, 20 for 600k, 20 for 500k 20 for 450k 20 for 400k and 20 for 200k. The median is 450
Now in higher interest rates you have 5 for a million, 10 for 600k, 15 for 500k, 15 for 450k, 15 for 400k and 40 for 200k. Even if the homes sell for the same price you have an 11% median drop. And it could easily be more skewed than that. Especially if you try to use national numbers. Almost every single expensive house sale or purchase is accompanied with a cheaper home being sold or purchased. Most of the single sales/purchases are young people buying their first home.
You could probably compare prices in the same zip code, if all the homes are almost Identical. But even that doesn’t work in areas with draws like waterfront. It doesn’t work across an entire state and it certainly doesn’t work across the country.
Except median can make the numbers skew even more…especially as sales and inventory drop if one market segment isn’t listing their homes.
Imagine you have 100 sales. All houses have 1 of 5 prices.
10 for a million, 20 for 600k, 20 for 500k 20 for 450k 20 for 400k and 20 for 200k. The median is 450
Now in higher interest rates you have 5 for a million, 10 for 600k, 15 for 500k, 15 for 450k, 15 for 400k and 40 for 200k. Even if the homes sell for the same price you have an 11% median drop. And it could easily be more skewed than that. Especially if you try to use national numbers. Almost every single expensive house sale or purchase is accompanied with a cheaper home being sold or purchased. Most of the single sales/purchases are young people buying their first home.
You could probably compare prices in the same zip code, if all the homes are almost Identical. But even that doesn’t work in areas with draws like waterfront. It doesn’t work across an entire state and it certainly doesn’t work across the country.
It’s so cheap to build new construction right now. USA has abundance of land to build. Lumber prices are pre Covid. Homebuilders should do really well and they will be able to lower prices over the next several years until eventually supply will exceed demand and then existing homes will sell for a double digit discount against new construction (as they historically do). So all the people standing pat and not selling, home builders will add the supply for you and lower your home price in the long run.
Rates should of gone up much faster and to a higher rate to do the damage that was needed to regain housing affordability. In Chicago our 100-400k properties are selling higher then a year ago. We have seen a mild drop and more difficulty to find buyers on the larger price points. Some decent deals popping up on 3 units in the blue line corridor which is the hot to invest gentrifying area. Our market always softens a bit after May and then softens significantly after July though so may be seasonal.
Rates should of gone up much faster and to a higher rate to do the damage that was needed to regain housing affordability. In Chicago our 100-400k properties are selling higher then a year ago. We have seen a mild drop and more difficulty to find buyers on the larger price points. Some decent deals popping up on 3 units in the blue line corridor which is the hot to invest gentrifying area. Our market always softens a bit after May and then softens significantly after July though so may be seasonal.
Dude the Fed Can NOT raise anymore otherwise all these lenders are going to bankrupt before us , the residential owner of 30 year mortgage LOL
They're already tired with SVB and First Republic and the crash of Commercial sectors.
We're in very weird situation now where OO and rental value are still going up againts what the Fed wants, while the Fed has to solve all those regional banking crisis and commercial later on.
It seems a lose lose situation to Fed.
They even failed to destroy the job market.
I love that you think new houses will be cheaper several years from now. How many times has that happened in the last 100 years? And you expect cheaper prices after interest rates drop? You may be the lone voice of reason predicting lower rates will cause lower prices. Existing homes have sold for double digit discounts to new homes for the last 20 years in vegas, that’s nothing new. I assume that’s true of most if not all markets.
We haven’t even mentioned more expensive labor, more regulations, NIMBYism, tougher building codes, all the premium land already being taken, or the mass migration to cities and away from less desirable places. I guess that could help lower the median price if people are selling their $100k homes in the Midwest people are fleeing.
Ps. I think even the “experts” are guessing, but I’d give you an 80-20 chance of houses being more expensive in 5 years. Are you saying 80-20 they’ll be cheaper? I assume you’re not saying 100% chance they will.
Rates should of gone up much faster and to a higher rate to do the damage that was needed to regain housing affordability. In Chicago our 100-400k properties are selling higher then a year ago. We have seen a mild drop and more difficulty to find buyers on the larger price points. Some decent deals popping up on 3 units in the blue line corridor which is the hot to invest gentrifying area. Our market always softens a bit after May and then softens significantly after July though so may be seasonal.
Dude the Fed Can NOT raise anymore otherwise all these lenders are going to bankrupt before us , the residential owner of 30 year mortgage LOL
They're already tired with SVB and First Republic and the crash of Commercial sectors.
We're in very weird situation now where OO and rental value are still going up againts what the Fed wants, while the Fed has to solve all those regional banking crisis and commercial later on.
It seems a lose lose situation to Fed.
They even failed to destroy the job market.
I love that you think new houses will be cheaper several years from now. How many times has that happened in the last 100 years? And you expect cheaper prices after interest rates drop? You may be the lone voice of reason predicting lower rates will cause lower prices. Existing homes have sold for double digit discounts to new homes for the last 20 years in vegas, that’s nothing new. I assume that’s true of most if not all markets.
We haven’t even mentioned more expensive labor, more regulations, NIMBYism, tougher building codes, all the premium land already being taken, or the mass migration to cities and away from less desirable places. I guess that could help lower the median price if people are selling their $100k homes in the Midwest people are fleeing.
Ps. I think even the “experts” are guessing, but I’d give you an 80-20 chance of houses being more expensive in 5 years. Are you saying 80-20 they’ll be cheaper? I assume you’re not saying 100% chance they will.
It has already happened. Median “new” home sales are down 20 percent from peak. Home builders can do this because input costs have collapsed. They have more room to lower price too that can bring down your existing home value more.
And here you go, I searched and found an article from an “expert” to validate my claim https://wolfstreet.com/2023/05...
And you don’t think that should be done by $’s/sf? Even that would be useless if it wasn’t by zip code, but a national price means nothing. What if it’s just less mansions being built? What if more condos are being built? It just doesn’t mean anything. What if South Dakota is building more new homes and California is building less?
Don’t get me wrong. That chart says new home prices are down 16% I’d love that, I’m in the market for a new home. But they just aren’t. At least not here. They’re up 10-20%. And if it’s not true here it’s worthless, I doubt this is the only market where it’s wrong/useless.
At least it shows AFTER this “Massive drop” new home prices are up 30% over the last 2 years. I’ll take it. If you put down 20% you’ve made a 150% return in 2 years after the “crash”. Hopefully you’ve sold all your properties to avoid the coming crash. We could use the increased inventory.
I’d love a price drop but that’s just a dream here. I want to do some 1031 exchanges. If my property and the more expensive property both drop, I save money. ($400k property to $700k property becomes $340k to $595k at a 15% drop. I save $45k. And in my market cheaper properties hold up better so I’d probably save more.)
And you don’t think that should be done by $’s/sf? Even that would be useless if it wasn’t by zip code, but a national price means nothing. What if it’s just less mansions being built? What if more condos are being built? It just doesn’t mean anything. What if South Dakota is building more new homes and California is building less?
Don’t get me wrong. That chart says new home prices are down 16% I’d love that, I’m in the market for a new home. But they just aren’t. At least not here. They’re up 10-20%. And if it’s not true here it’s worthless, I doubt this is the only market where it’s wrong/useless.
At least it shows AFTER this “Massive drop” new home prices are up 30% over the last 2 years. I’ll take it. If you put down 20% you’ve made a 150% return in 2 years after the “crash”. Hopefully you’ve sold all your properties to avoid the coming crash. We could use the increased inventory.
I’d love a price drop but that’s just a dream here. I want to do some 1031 exchanges. If my property and the more expensive property both drop, I save money. ($400k property to $700k property becomes $340k to $595k at a 15% drop. I save $45k. And in my market cheaper properties hold up better so I’d probably save more.)
So because you aren’t seeing it happen in Vegas means it isn’t happening nationally according to government data? Last fall I noted mathematically we were at a peak, and since then it’s been a slow draw down. If rates stay high we will continue to see new home sale prices “nominally” get close to 2020 plus 10-15 percent adjusted for inflation.

there’s dozens of more just like this.
Not what I said. What i said is it’s useless if it’s not $’s/sf, and it’s useless information unless you are investing nationally. Even then I assume you’d be smart enough to pick the better markets, not just throw darts at a map.
It’s like the useless “household income” statistics that don’t mention “household” sizes change. Are you publishing these statistics? Why do you care if they’re useless?
Again, tell me you had a bunch of properties and you sold them all last fall. If both of those aren’t true then even you know the numbers we useless. if you did, then all you lost out on were opportunity costs and selling and acquisition costs.
I truly don’t care. Make your next response anything, even just WINNER! This my last attempt. I’ve already put too much effort in to explaining why they’re useless, you don’t want to listen. You ignore questions about if you think prices will be lower in 5 years. You ignore Henry’s post saying $100-$400k properties are priced higher than last year and the only slow down is in high end properties. I wonder if that would lower e median price? It certainly doesn’t show lower prices for 90% of the market. Your brick wall defense is spectacular. I just hope you’re getting paid to promote the useless stats, at lest then I’d understand your conviction.
Not what I said. What i said is it’s useless if it’s not $’s/sf, and it’s useless information unless you are investing nationally. Even then I assume you’d be smart enough to pick the better markets, not just throw darts at a map.
It’s like the useless “household income” statistics that don’t mention “household” sizes change. Are you publishing these statistics? Why do you care if they’re useless?
Again, tell me you had a bunch of properties and you sold them all last fall. If both of those aren’t true then even you know the numbers we useless. if you did, then all you lost out on were opportunity costs and selling and acquisition costs.
I truly don’t care. Make your next response anything, even just WINNER! This my last attempt. I’ve already put too much effort in to explaining why they’re useless, you don’t want to listen. You ignore questions about if you think prices will be lower in 5 years. Your brick wall defense is spectacular. I just hope you’re getting paid to promote the useless stats, at lest then I’d understand your conviction.
Did you load up on overpriced homes last fall? I can’t even give you an answer for 5 years from now because even if you are looking at official government stats you will look for a cherry pick loophole to claim you are right (like well in zip code xxxxx that nobody cares about - went up) I’m citing government data, and new construction home builders which coincides with the government data showing prices are DOWN. Homebuilders will continue to lower asking prices if they need to, they are in the business to sell homes. Now that Covid is over the inputs into building new are way down now, so they are primed to make massive profits even now at lower prices. They don’t care about existing construction that nobody wants to sell due to being locked in to low rates. They build they sell. No emotion. Buying real estate last fall was a bad investment as I said back then when we were at peak. People like you and James Hamlin were pounding the table to not have a missed opportunity cost. Didn’t play out like that. 5 percent tbills and falling prices, that’s a double win for prospective buyer.
Here you go, I found an article on your market. seems like it was a great idea to buy there last year.
Geez must have been 100 to 1 odds of this happening since prices only go down every 100 years. And even when it happens people still don’t see it.
https://www.ktnv.com/news/las-...

https://www.redfin.com/news/ho...
Looking at various chart above, my impression is this 2023 market is still too strong , market is following 2022 price/inventory pattern except with even lower inventory than 2022 and pushing the price of May 2023 to be equal to May 2022.
I guess SEC action to 'mini crash' the real estate failed miserably LOL It's just so strange that market is too strong that almost nobody willing to sell.
Almost everyone that's predicting a crash in November 2022 is wrong, @James Hamling
People seem to be underestimating the impact of higher interest rates for an extended period of time...and the Fed's resolve to squash inflation by hammering the economy. The debt markets are tight, debt is very expensive, loans are repricing at higher rates over time, and the entire market is having to deleverage to meet much higher debt service requirements from higher rates. Someone has to pay for that deleveraging and that sucks liquidity out of the market. And because of it, stuff is starting to break...nobody knows the shadow banks and companies that are next...that takes time to surface. That's a far cry from a stable economy and the downstream impacts on the housing market.
I didn’t realize citing govt data (the same I cited last year) was conspiracy theory. Or showing news article headlines from various regions showing both that new home builders are dropping price to sell homes, and that rental prices are declining. These aren’t articles from “the onion” as I said before there is unlimited land to build in the USA and with input costs so low it’s build build build time and sell at what the market will pay. Nobody under 40 wants the overpriced stuff built several decades ago. Housing is a good purchase for someone to live in, but as I said last year doesn’t make sense to buy for long term rentals, that gravy train is OVER (unless you are your own developer). If you have properties bought 5 plus years ago, sure you will do well renting those out.
It’s comical that you think real estate prices dropping back to anywhere close to levels 3 years ago will result in needing to be paid in chickens and cows with social unrest. You are really a conspiracy theorist. If you actually read what you write and you have an IQ that isn’t below average, you would clearly see it.
100%!
I didn’t realize citing govt data (the same I cited last year) was conspiracy theory. Or showing news article headlines from various regions showing both that new home builders are dropping price to sell homes, and that rental prices are declining. These aren’t articles from “the onion” as I said before there is unlimited land to build in the USA and with input costs so low it’s build build build time and sell at what the market will pay. Nobody under 40 wants the overpriced stuff built several decades ago. Housing is a good purchase for someone to live in, but as I said last year doesn’t make sense to buy for long term rentals, that gravy train is OVER. If you have properties bought 5 plus years ago, sure you will do well renting those out.
It’s comical that you think real estate prices dropping back to anywhere close to levels 3 years ago will result in needing to be paid in chickens and cows with social unrest. You are really a conspiracy theorist. If you actually read what you write and you have an IQ that isn’t below average, you would clearly see it.
This is a shining example of why BP need to add DOWN Votes..... You have ignored effectively everything I DID say, and laid out a running rant of things I DIDNT say.... Lol.
I get it, your Trolling.... Well established and understood. Have fun as I ignore you going forward.
