So many value add buildings selling at higher total project cost then ARV

So many value add buildings selling at higher total project cost then ARV

Real Estate Agent · Chicago, IL · Member since 2017 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes

I have noticed an interesting trend that's been more and more common since about 2018. Buildings selling for example $300,000 which need $150,000 of work but the ARV is only $420,000. Maybe people buying and not fixing up who just want a multi unit at lower price point? It's a weird strategy I never would partake in. I have done two BRRRs and am still a huge fan of the value adds (working on a 3rd deal flipping it right now) but would say since covid 95%+ of value add deals do not work for any equity creation even the bs wholesalers send out. We have seen deals with strong equity numbers but they are in junk areas with bad tenant pool. This is with my contractor contacts who I refer out a lot and work below what retail pays.

Where I have had luck and seen many of my clients making it work is on bigger 3/4 units in class A/B areas where ARV goes to 800k-1.1 million, as provides a big enough margin. Duplexing is also a value add we have seen work for equity creation. For example you finish the attic and add a 3rd bedroom or you take the already there illegal attic or basement unit which are common in Chicago and connect it to the legal unit for extra living space so now you have 3/2 duplex rents on what used to be a 2/1 simplex. These 3/2 duplex units on northside are passing $3000 monthly rents now too so cashflows. Also seen many of the duplex units with old tenants at for example $1800-2000 where you update it a little and bump it a whole 20-30%+. Seems many old sellers don't understand how high of rents a duplex up can get in 2024.

1Reply
43 views

2 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Jonathan KlemmBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Contractor · Chicago, IL · Member since 2016 · 4k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    2y

    Hey @Henry Lazerow - I would tend to agree that most of the NW side of Chicago 2-4 units don't play out perfectly well for BRRRR deals.

    I always looked at any potential house hack vs. having to rent - if my overall payments were less than the rent I generally considered that a win.

    For me...the house hack is just the ticket into the amusement park and then the fun rides come after...getting started can be overwhelming and hard so I can see why people might take a discount.

    I think one of the keys to strong equity creation is square footage creation which is basically what you outlined with duplexing up or down.

  • Andrew SyriosPro Member
    Moderator
    Residential Real Estate Investor · Kansas City, MO · Member since 2014 · 10k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    2y

    ARVs with such buildings is notoriously hard to pin down, especially when a major value add is done. I do think there's a good amount of speculating or institutional/foreign investors chasing yield. Probably even a bit of a bubble going on. But I suspect most of these buyers believe the ARV is higher that what you do for the buildings they are buying and improving.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.