Thought exercise! House hack in the next great outdoor city/town?

Thought exercise! House hack in the next great outdoor city/town?

Member since 2022 · 10 posts · 3 votes

Hi all, recently settling into my first property (a house hack in Washington, DC proper - got a steal of a deal!) and am toying with a thought exercise. I am setting my sites on my next primary residence house hack when I am eligible next April. In my next property, I am looking to strike out West to house hack a -plex (open to 2-4, anything that makes sense numbers wise) in a good market that will offer some vibrancy in terms of city/town life with access to the great outdoors, primarily skiing. With my DITI, I have about $400-500K to play with.

I am looking at all the usual suspects (Denver, SLC, Boise) but fear they are beyond reason/price at this point. I am doing my due diligence on these markets but figured I'd throw it out to the community and hear thoughts, thanks so much!

(I am not sure if these types of posts are cool so appreciate the feedback!)

0Reply
13 views

Most Popular Reply

Real Estate Agent · Boise, ID · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 888 votes
4y
Quote from @Robert Durden:

@Chris Davidson & @Anna Strausbaugh - really appreciate the insights! Boise seems like it is out of my wheelhouse right now but Nampa and Caldwell seem great! Would you recommend any of these towns/cities/subburbs in the surround area? I have been scouting Middleton and Kuna as well!


 I'd recommend Nampa and Caldwell. Kuna is too far out for me right now. Someday it will be there but not enough commerce for me. For Middleton I'd rather just go over to Caldwell which has better access to highways and a larger renter pool. Once you go past Nampa and Caldwell your tenant pool shrinks drastically and while things are good when the economy is humming along. The more inflation hits and the higher gas goes the less likely folks want to live further away from work.

See this reply in the discussion

10 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Member since 2018 · 5 posts · 7 votes
    4y

    Your assumption about Denver is correct. Who knows what the market will do, but as of now there are not any “plexes” being had in the 400k-500k range. 

  • James CarlsonPro Member
    Real Estate Agent · Colorado | stan.store/JamesCarlson · Member since 2014 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    4y
    Quote from @Robert Durden:

    Hi all, recently settling into my first property (a house hack in Washington, DC proper - got a steal of a deal!) and am toying with a thought exercise. I am setting my sites on my next primary residence house hack when I am eligible next April. In my next property, I am looking to strike out West to house hack a -plex (open to 2-4, anything that makes sense numbers wise) in a good market that will offer some vibrancy in terms of city/town life with access to the great outdoors, primarily skiing. With my DITI, I have about $400-500K to play with.

    I am looking at all the usual suspects (Denver, SLC, Boise) but fear they are beyond reason/price at this point. I am doing my due diligence on these markets but figured I'd throw it out to the community and hear thoughts, thanks so much!

    (I am not sure if these types of posts are cool so appreciate the feedback!)


    Yeah, Denver's out most likely. If you like Colorado, you might consider Colorado Springs for house hacking. I just looked at a duplex with a client in the $550k range. He's going to Airbnb/STR the top and live in the bottom.

    The city itself is growing a ton. Lots of development in the downtown, a few big parks in the middle of the city and more great hiking just 20 minutes from the city center.

  • Realtor · Provo, UT · Member since 2020 · 374 posts · 270 votes
    4y

    Just helped one of my clients house hack in SLC. He is cash flowing while living in the property. These deals are harder to come by but rents are growing aggressively here.

  • Anna StrausbaughBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Boise, ID · Member since 2018 · 119 posts · 70 votes
    4y

    @Robert Durden, we are starting to see price drops here in Boise and more multi-family inventory than we've seen in years, so you might be in luck! It is still possible to get duplexes in the $500k range. If you go to Canyon county (Nampa and Caldwell) you can sometimes even find 4 plexes close to that. Those properties are prime for house hacking since they often need work, but there's great upside. Caldwell is booming right now and I just closed a duplex for a client there last week for $340k that they'll be getting close to $3k per month in rent. Crazy!

  • Real Estate Agent · Boise, ID · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 888 votes
    4y

    @Robert Durden like Anna mentioned you can find Duplexes in that range in Boise, and we are seeing more inventory than we have over the last few years. Thus it is opening the opportunity for lower down payments and sellers being more flexible to work with buyers since there aren't 5 cash offers one each property as folks are looking to park 1031 money. Rents have been great as well just like the rest of the country, but with higher increases on MF increasing faster than SF rents across the valley.

  • Member since 2022 · 10 posts · 3 votes
    4y

    @Chris Davidson & @Anna Strausbaugh - really appreciate the insights! Boise seems like it is out of my wheelhouse right now but Nampa and Caldwell seem great! Would you recommend any of these towns/cities/subburbs in the surround area? I have been scouting Middleton and Kuna as well!

  • Member since 2022 · 10 posts · 3 votes
    4y
    Quote from @Logan McKay Zylstra:

    Just helped one of my clients house hack in SLC. He is cash flowing while living in the property. These deals are harder to come by but rents are growing aggressively here.


     Logan, that sounds great! Congrats on that deal. Was this SLC proper or any of the surrounding regions? 

  • Anna StrausbaughBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Boise, ID · Member since 2018 · 119 posts · 70 votes
    4y
    Quote from @Robert Durden:

    @Chris Davidson & @Anna Strausbaugh - really appreciate the insights! Boise seems like it is out of my wheelhouse right now but Nampa and Caldwell seem great! Would you recommend any of these towns/cities/subburbs in the surround area? I have been scouting Middleton and Kuna as well!


     Kuna is awesome too, but the prices there are a little higher than Nampa and Caldwell, but not too much. Middleton is growing, but still has some more growing to do. I'd be happy to chat with you about the pros and cons of each area sometime if you want.

  • Realtor · Provo, UT · Member since 2020 · 374 posts · 270 votes
    4y

    This was in Sandy. I have personally house hacked twice in the Provo/Orem metro

  • Real Estate Agent · Boise, ID · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 888 votes
    4y
    Quote from @Robert Durden:

    @Chris Davidson & @Anna Strausbaugh - really appreciate the insights! Boise seems like it is out of my wheelhouse right now but Nampa and Caldwell seem great! Would you recommend any of these towns/cities/subburbs in the surround area? I have been scouting Middleton and Kuna as well!


     I'd recommend Nampa and Caldwell. Kuna is too far out for me right now. Someday it will be there but not enough commerce for me. For Middleton I'd rather just go over to Caldwell which has better access to highways and a larger renter pool. Once you go past Nampa and Caldwell your tenant pool shrinks drastically and while things are good when the economy is humming along. The more inflation hits and the higher gas goes the less likely folks want to live further away from work.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.