3 Rental Houses - what would you do?

3 Rental Houses - what would you do?

Member since 2020 · 8 posts · 1 vote

Looking for any insight I can get here! My situation below:

I’ve got 3 rentals houses.

1. House is worth 230k. Have 75k equity in it. I profit $900/month renting 1-yr leases to college students via a property management company. I bought this as a primary home and moved out after 5 years.

2. House is worth 250k. My brother and I have 50k equity in it. This is rented until summer of next year and we plan to also pass this to the property manager once he moves out.

3. House is worth 260k. Have 60k equity in it. We profit $200/month renting 1-yr leases to young business professionals/students via the same property management company. This was purchased as an investment property with 2 partners within the past 6 months.

*these are all based in Louisiana. I am located in Texas.

Curious to see what you would do if you were in my shoes. Is there equity to use that I can be investing in other properties elsewhere? I’ve read about transferring into a trusts, but not very familiar with that. Should I consider rent-to-own? Within the next 1.5 years I’d love to purchase something in Austin, TX to live in and rent out. That’s where my mind is at, but not set.

Thank you in advance!

0Reply
23 views

5 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • CO · Member since 2022 · 588 posts · 426 votes
    3y

    I would say if it isn't broken don't fix it. What you are buying is working well so why would you change that?

  • Real Estate Agent · Southern California · Member since 2019 · 681 posts · 281 votes
    3y

    @Reed Vial I would look into using the equity on 2 of them to do a BRRR in the same area. Since you now know how to rent in that area.

  • Member since 2020 · 8 posts · 1 vote
    3y

    @Brett Deas thank you! I’ve also thought about that as well.

  • Member since 2020 · 8 posts · 1 vote
    3y

    @Nicholas Coulter great call. I've never done a BRRR, but have always wanted to. It may be time!

  • Bryan MartinBusiness Member
    Accountant · Springfield, IL · Member since 2022 · 189 posts · 100 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Reed Vial:

    Looking for any insight I can get here! My situation below:

    I’ve got 3 rentals houses.

    1. House is worth 230k. Have 75k equity in it. I profit $900/month renting 1-yr leases to college students via a property management company. I bought this as a primary home and moved out after 5 years.

    2. House is worth 250k. My brother and I have 50k equity in it. This is rented until summer of next year and we plan to also pass this to the property manager once he moves out.

    3. House is worth 260k. Have 60k equity in it. We profit $200/month renting 1-yr leases to young business professionals/students via the same property management company. This was purchased as an investment property with 2 partners within the past 6 months.

    *these are all based in Louisiana. I am located in Texas.

    Curious to see what you would do if you were in my shoes. Is there equity to use that I can be investing in other properties elsewhere? I’ve read about transferring into a trusts, but not very familiar with that. Should I consider rent-to-own? Within the next 1.5 years I’d love to purchase something in Austin, TX to live in and rent out. That’s where my mind is at, but not set.

    Thank you in advance!

    Talk to a local banker and see what they can do.  Some equity there, but banks may not give too much right now.  For instance, if they give you additional cash so your debt is 90% of your property value and the value of the property were to drop 20%, you’d be upside down on the house.  Banks don’t like being in the practice of loading on assets that are upside down.
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.