Florida Rental Tax

Florida Rental Tax

West Palm Beach, FL · Member since 2022 · 12 posts · 7 votes

My girlfriend and I are looking to begin in REI with a house hack in the West Palm Beach area. With any lease under 6 months in Florida being subject to 6% sales tax plus additional county tax, I have read that those taxes do not apply for owner-occupied transient housing.

We are planning to rent rooms to coworkers who are seasonal (~7-8 months per year), but are looking for options in the other 3-4 months. Do we still need to register with the state and pay the tax if we have short term renters in our house while also living there, or will that be considered exempt?

1Reply
10 views

Most Popular Reply

Andrew PostellPro Member
Lender · Fort Worth, TX · Member since 2016 · 8k+ posts · 6k+ votes
3y

@Chris Martin I started my career with house hacking in Florida.  Of course, I will say "consult your CPA" but this is a non-issue. I want you to claim the income, as we all should, on your federal income taxes each year. There is no state income tax in Florida. If you are operating a business, that's something else. If you have to register your home for STR purposes, that is also different. But any lease over 30 days, in your own personal home, you should be fine with. If you live in a HOA/COA please check with their bi-laws on it. And consult your CPA to confirm.

Hope all of that makes sense.

See this reply in the discussion

3 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Andrew PostellPro Member
    Lender · Fort Worth, TX · Member since 2016 · 8k+ posts · 6k+ votes
    3y

    @Chris Martin I started my career with house hacking in Florida.  Of course, I will say "consult your CPA" but this is a non-issue. I want you to claim the income, as we all should, on your federal income taxes each year. There is no state income tax in Florida. If you are operating a business, that's something else. If you have to register your home for STR purposes, that is also different. But any lease over 30 days, in your own personal home, you should be fine with. If you live in a HOA/COA please check with their bi-laws on it. And consult your CPA to confirm.

    Hope all of that makes sense.

  • Investor · Fort Lauderdale, FL · Member since 2020 · 1k+ posts · 755 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Chris Martin:

    My girlfriend and I are looking to begin in REI with a house hack in the West Palm Beach area. With any lease under 6 months in Florida being subject to 6% sales tax plus additional county tax, I have read that those taxes do not apply for owner-occupied transient housing.

    We are planning to rent rooms to coworkers who are seasonal (~7-8 months per year), but are looking for options in the other 3-4 months. Do we still need to register with the state and pay the tax if we have short term renters in our house while also living there, or will that be considered exempt?

    Congrats on getting started in REI. Well for those 3 months, it depends what you want to do. If you are going to register the property with the city as a STR (AirBnb, VRBO, etc), then yes you will have to pay that....but otherwise, how would the city know you rented out your place for 3 months to a renter? It's kind of up to you at that point. 
  • Real Estate Agent · South Florida · Member since 2022 · 85 posts · 42 votes
    3y

    Hey @Chris Martin, I am a realtor in the area and have experience with this. In short no, you're good to go to rent to your coworkers..

    Just like @Andrew Postell said, claim the income and you have nothing to worry about.

    Since I am local, let me know if you have any other specific questions, would be happy to help you out

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.