Southeastern, CT: Targeting 3-Unit House Hack | Looking for Investor Friendly Team

Southeastern, CT: Targeting 3-Unit House Hack | Looking for Investor Friendly Team

New London, CT · Member since 2025 · 12 posts · 11 votes

Hi everyone,

My name is Liang, and I’ve been working in the New London, CT area. I’ve been a long time listener of the BiggerPockets podcast, but I’m officially moving from the "learning" phase to the "action" phase.

[My Strategy]: I am currently targeting a 3 unit multifamily to house hack in New London (06320). I graduated two years ago and have been fortunate to stay debt-free with zero student loans, which has allowed me to save aggressively for this move.

Right now, I am shopping for lenders for the Fannie Mae 5% Down Conventional program. Once I’ve finalized my preapproval and confirmed my purchasing power, my next step is connecting with an investor focused agent to start touring properties.

[The Goal]: My target is to be under contract by April/May 2026. I have a $10k renovation budget set aside for immediate value-add, and $10k in reserves and I plan to handle the majority of the cosmetic work myself to stabilize the property and build sweat equity.

Moving forward, my strategy is an incremental value add approach where I'll be reinvesting my rent savings into a phased renovation plan to modernize the units over time and force further appreciation while saving up for the next house hack. 

[Why I'm Here]: I’d love to connect and hear from investors that have gone through something similar. Specifically, I’m looking to:

- Learn from the "Old Home" Experts: I’m curious to hear from anyone house hacking in New England markets where homes can be 80+ years old. The maintenance requirements are a focus for me, and I’d love to know what specific "red flags" you look for during due diligence.

- Build My Team: I’m looking to connect with investor friendly agents and reliable handymen/contractors in the New London area to start building my vendor list for Day 1.

    If you're in the area and want to grab coffee or chat, please reach out! I'm looking forward to contribute and grow with this community.

    1Reply
    58 views

    1 Reply

    Jump to latestLatest
    • Aaron ZimmermanBusiness Member
      Accountant · Chicago, IL · Member since 2018 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
      7mo

      I don't live in New England but Chicago, likewise, has an older housing stock. 

      When you walk the properties, I'd look to see how much deferred maintenance there is. If possible, looking at items like roofs, hvac, siding, etc are important because they don't really add value from a rental increase standpoint. 

      I'd also recommend a sewer scope to see what's going on with the lines. You'll spend $300 but if something is wrong, you'll want to bring that up during attorney review period and negotiate a closing credit for that. 

    Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.