I have a few STR's and am venturing out into MTR. Looking for advise, and maybe a punch list of "must haves" for the unit. Thanks in advance!
Jeff
Fully stocked kitchen, including items that might not be necessary for a typical STR. EX: Cookie sheets, can openers, potato peelers, maybe a crock pot? You must have fast wifi. I recommend making a youtube video walkthrough of the property to send out to potential tenants.
Investor · Narragansett, RI · Member since 2013 · 8k+ posts · 4k+ votes
3y
@Jeffrey Schratz Furnished finders and the book 30 day stay on BP are good resources for must haves and tips. Some also recommend staying in your unit to see what is missing. Its a bit different group then the STR people really expect to live in the rental and comfort is a big focus. Location may be different than STR but not always.
I have a few STR's and am venturing out into MTR. Looking for advise, and maybe a punch list of "must haves" for the unit. Thanks in advance!
Jeff
Fully stocked kitchen, including items that might not be necessary for a typical STR. EX: Cookie sheets, can openers, potato peelers, maybe a crock pot? You must have fast wifi. I recommend making a youtube video walkthrough of the property to send out to potential tenants.
Lender · Asheville, NC · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
3y
We furnish our MTRs exactly like we do an STR with the exception of providing more cleaning supplies for our MTRs. You want that midterm tenant to vaccuum, mop, clean toilets and sinks and generally keep up with the home just like you would if you were staying in a place for 30+ days. Cleaning supplies are cheap and I don't want them to run out so I don't skimp on these things. You also want to leave at least one change of linens, depending on the length of stay. If they didn't wash the sheets for 30-90 days you'd probably end up tossing them after a guest or two. Having extra linens makes it easy for them to change the bed. We also provide local guides like bike trail maps, dog park locations, adventure company brochures and restaurant/coffee shop/brewery recommendations.
Investor · Narragansett, RI · Member since 2013 · 8k+ posts · 4k+ votes
3y
@Jeffrey Schratz I would also say make it livable. I can't tell you the number of times you go in a STR and they don't have nightstands on both sides of the bed. They have pretty couches but they feel like sitting on a rock and there are no serving bowls in the kitchen. The silverware is very light and the knives are not sharp. We were just in one that had no cutting board.
@Jeffrey Schratz I would also say make it livable. I can't tell you the number of times you go in a STR and they don't have nightstands on both sides of the bed. They have pretty couches but they feel like sitting on a rock and there are no serving bowls in the kitchen. The silverware is very light and the knives are not sharp. We were just in one that had no cutting board.
I completely agree! We test out our furniture to make sure they are comfortable & look good/sturdy. It's a good idea for you to live there and test it out too