Anyone have experience with MTR's in Northern Virginia?

Anyone have experience with MTR's in Northern Virginia?

Member since 2024 · 179 posts · 76 votes

Hello, anyone have experience with MTR's in Northern Virginia?   What areas are good for catering to travel nurses in NOVA?  Or should I be focusing on housing for insurance companies ?    TIA

0Reply
10 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Alexandria, VA · Member since 2020 · 95 posts · 45 votes
2y

We have a rental in Alexandria (the Fairfax side), specifically in the Huntington neighborhood that does well as an MTR. We've had a handful of nurses stay there since 2021, but it's not exclusive to them.

We're renovating the basement of our next house hack and it's in City of Alexandria closer to the existing Inova hospital and the new Landmark development. I expect it to do just as well.

See this reply in the discussion

4 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · Northern Virginia · Member since 2022 · 127 posts · 123 votes
    2y

    @Marc Shin

    If I could, I would invest in Falls Church and Fairfax because I get a steady drip of leads for travelers going there. But, if you need to increase your radius as I did, you will attract quality MTR leads if you buy and design with them as your target tenants (know your audience).

  • Real Estate Consultant · Reston, VA · Member since 2022 · 513 posts · 521 votes
    2y

    All areas can work it depends on the avatar you want to target. I house hack in Reston, VA by renting a room in my condo to traveling medical professionals. We have very little vacancy and I've been able to continue to increase my rate after each tenant.

  • Investor · Alexandria, VA · Member since 2020 · 95 posts · 45 votes
    2y

    We have a rental in Alexandria (the Fairfax side), specifically in the Huntington neighborhood that does well as an MTR. We've had a handful of nurses stay there since 2021, but it's not exclusive to them.

    We're renovating the basement of our next house hack and it's in City of Alexandria closer to the existing Inova hospital and the new Landmark development. I expect it to do just as well.

  • Zachary DealPro Member
    Lender · Member since 2023 · 464 posts · 425 votes
    2y

    If you haven't yet I would suggest looking at Furnished Finder and Zillow in the areas that you are considering in Northern VA to get a general sense of the competition. Also, if you attend some local RE meetups in the area you may be able to find some local MTR operators.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.