Question About Screening Traveling Nurses & Their Spouses

Question About Screening Traveling Nurses & Their Spouses

Hamidou KeitaPro Member
Member since 2024 · 47 posts · 16 votes

Hi everyone,

I’ve been getting more inquiries from traveling nurses, and several experienced landlords told me that I don’t need to heavily screen the nurse themselves because they’re already thoroughly vetted by their employer and staffing agency. They mentioned that the employment contract and assignment letter are usually enough.

My question is about situations where the traveling nurse is accompanied by a spouse or partner who is not a healthcare worker and works remotely (or has other income sources).

Do you screen the spouse separately?
For example:

  • Do you run a background/credit check on the spouse only?

  • Or do you treat the couple as one application and screen both?

  • Do you rely solely on the nurse’s contract letter and income, or verify the spouse’s income/employment as well?

I’d love to hear how other landlords handle this scenario to stay fair but also protect their property.

Thanks in advance!

1Reply
165 views

Most Popular Reply

Severna Park, MD · Member since 2013 · 7k+ posts · 7k+ votes
10mo

Screen all tenents over 18 the same regardless of their occupation . The travel nurse companies screen to have them work , they could still be a bad risk financially , or live like pigs . 

See this reply in the discussion

11 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Realtor · Northern NJ · Member since 2021 · 19 posts · 9 votes
    10mo

    We usually try to screen everyone that is staying. We sometimes rely on the letter of employment if its just the Nurse staying. 

    We did recently run into a situation that the nurse was working at the hospital but they seemed like they were not in a good financial situation so maybe a credit check is still needed.

    • Hamidou KeitaPro Member
      OP
      Member since 2024 · 47 posts · 16 votes
      10mo
      Quote from @Denis Um:

      We usually try to screen everyone that is staying. We sometimes rely on the letter of employment if its just the Nurse staying. 

      We did recently run into a situation that the nurse was working at the hospital but they seemed like they were not in a good financial situation so maybe a credit check is still needed.


       I appreciate the feedback, thank you.

  • Severna Park, MD · Member since 2013 · 7k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    10mo

    Screen all tenents over 18 the same regardless of their occupation . The travel nurse companies screen to have them work , they could still be a bad risk financially , or live like pigs . 

    • Hamidou KeitaPro Member
      OP
      Member since 2024 · 47 posts · 16 votes
      10mo
      Quote from @Matthew Paul:

      Screen all tenents over 18 the same regardless of their occupation . The travel nurse companies screen to have them work , they could still be a bad risk financially , or live like pigs . 


       Thank you for the advice

  • Member since 2019 · 1k+ posts · 292 votes
    10mo

    I usually treat couples as one application. Even though the nurse is already vetted through their agency, I still run standard checks on any adult who will be living in the home—mainly a background check for safety and basic income verification if they’ll be contributing.

    If the nurse’s contract alone easily meets the income requirement, I don’t stress too much about the spouse’s finances, but I still verify who they are since they’ll be occupying the property. Keeps things fair and consistent without overcomplicating it.

  • Colleen F.Pro Member
    Investor · Narragansett, RI · Member since 2013 · 8k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    10mo

    @Hamidou Keita couple applying screen them both.  If I have a travel health care worker I verify the professional license, call previous LL, but those are room rentals, single occupancy. Can get them out easily if there is an issue because the roommates will make it uncomfortable.  I do a full check with an apartment mid or long term. 

    • Hamidou KeitaPro Member
      OP
      Member since 2024 · 47 posts · 16 votes
      10mo
      Quote from @Colleen F.:

      @Hamidou Keita couple applying screen them both.  If I have a travel health care worker I verify the professional license, call previous LL, but those are room rentals, single occupancy. Can get them out easily if there is an issue because the roommates will make it uncomfortable.  I do a full check with an apartment mid or long term. 


       Thank you

  • Investor · AZ · Member since 2025 · 6 posts · 0 votes
    9mo

    @Hamidou Keita, reach out to @kyle swengel he runs successful MTRs in Tucson, AZ. Hope this connection helps!

  • Investor · AZ · Member since 2025 · 6 posts · 0 votes
    9mo

    We also run a meet up once a month in addition to knowing a few others doing the same thing. Feel free to reach out for additional details if interested. Happy holidays! 

    • Hamidou KeitaPro Member
      OP
      Member since 2024 · 47 posts · 16 votes
      9mo
      Quote from @Mark Savalle:

      We also run a meet up once a month in addition to knowing a few others doing the same thing. Feel free to reach out for additional details if interested. Happy holidays! 


       Yes, i am interested in the monthly meet ups, i like to know more.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.