MTR rules vs. STR rules

MTR rules vs. STR rules

Member since 2022 · 77 posts · 43 votes

Hi all!

I self manage an STR and am just wrapping up my first month long MTR stay. It went great and I'm thinking I would like to transition to more of an STR/MTR model. Question for hosts that do this: For MTR guests, do you enforce the same rules as you do for your STR? For example, in my STR I don't allow guests on the property outside of those listed on the reservation (our max occupancy is 6). This seems trickier to implement/enforce with an MTR guest? Just curious if you all have a different set of rules for STR vs MTR? Thanks!

1Reply
128 views

5 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Kenneth GarrettPro Member
    Investor · Florida Panhandle/Illinois · Member since 2016 · 4k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    6mo

    @Ashley Bitner

    I treat the MTR more as tenants than guests.  The process is fairly the same, but I don’t limit the number of visitors they can have provided it doesn’t violate any city codes.  I also am more flexible regarding move in time.  Typically, I use 4:00 for check in, but since they are paying for the day and provided the cleaners are done I will allow earlier move in.  I have them sign a lease.  I typically have tenants for over 90 days, but even a 30 day stay, I will create a lease.

    Hope this helps.

  • Member since 2022 · 77 posts · 43 votes
    6mo

    @Kenneth Garrett - Super helpful! This is pretty much what I was leaning towards so I'm glad to hear it's what you do and that it works well for you. Thanks! 

  • Specialist · Austin TX · Member since 2018 · 82 posts · 55 votes
    6mo

    On paper (in the rental agreement, it's all the same). When they ask me about it, and they are a MTR guest, I let them know it's a courtesy for our longer stay guests to let us know about guests (ie. kids sleeping over, visitors, etc) but no one is allowed to stay longer than 48 hours.

    I also never allow mail. STR or MTR.
    I love MTR!

  • Member since 2022 · 77 posts · 43 votes
    6mo

    @Vivian Yip - interesting about the mail! I noticed our MTR guest received something the other day via USPS (the house used to be our primary residence so I have informed delivery set up at the address). Does your no mail rule have something to do with tenants rights?

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.