A Signed Real Estate Contract Is More Than Just a Purchase Price

A Signed Real Estate Contract Is More Than Just a Purchase Price

Diana KhanPro Member
Attorney · 10451 Mill Run Cir #755 Owings Mills, MD 21117 · Member since 2024 · 449 posts · 170 votes

As a Maryland real estate attorney, one thing I see often is buyers and sellers focusing heavily on the price of the property while overlooking some of the smaller details in the contract.

Those “small” details can become very important once the contract is signed.

Before signing a Maryland real estate contract, I always think it is worth slowing down and looking closely at a few things:

✔ Contingencies
Know exactly what your inspection, financing, and appraisal contingencies allow you to do, and when those deadlines expire.

✔ Deadlines
A date in a contract is there for a reason. Missing an important deadline can affect your rights under the agreement.

✔ Earnest money
Understand when your deposit may be returned and when it could be at risk if the deal does not close.

✔ Seller disclosures and property documents
Buyers should take the time to review the documents they receive instead of treating them as just another part of the paperwork.

✔ Settlement and possession
Make sure everyone is clear about when settlement will happen, when possession changes, and what condition the property is expected to be in.

A standard contract may look routine, but every deal is different. I have seen problems come up because someone misunderstood a deadline, assumed they could walk away, or did not fully understand what they agreed to.

My biggest advice is simple: understand the contract before you sign it, not after there is already a problem.

For the investors here, what part of a purchase contract do you pay the closest attention to before signing?

This is general information about Maryland law and is not legal advice for a specific transaction.

0Reply
252 views

2 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Adam MaciasPro Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Fort Collins, CO · Member since 2022 · 285 posts · 178 votes
    1mo
    Quote from @Diana Khan:

    As a Maryland real estate attorney, one thing I see often is buyers and sellers focusing heavily on the price of the property while overlooking some of the smaller details in the contract.

    Those “small” details can become very important once the contract is signed.

    Before signing a Maryland real estate contract, I always think it is worth slowing down and looking closely at a few things:

    ✔ Contingencies
    Know exactly what your inspection, financing, and appraisal contingencies allow you to do, and when those deadlines expire.

    ✔ Deadlines
    A date in a contract is there for a reason. Missing an important deadline can affect your rights under the agreement.

    ✔ Earnest money
    Understand when your deposit may be returned and when it could be at risk if the deal does not close.

    ✔ Seller disclosures and property documents
    Buyers should take the time to review the documents they receive instead of treating them as just another part of the paperwork.

    ✔ Settlement and possession
    Make sure everyone is clear about when settlement will happen, when possession changes, and what condition the property is expected to be in.

    A standard contract may look routine, but every deal is different. I have seen problems come up because someone misunderstood a deadline, assumed they could walk away, or did not fully understand what they agreed to.

    My biggest advice is simple: understand the contract before you sign it, not after there is already a problem.

    For the investors here, what part of a purchase contract do you pay the closest attention to before signing?

    This is general information about Maryland law and is not legal advice for a specific transaction.


    I pay attention to how easy it is to exit a contract more than anything. The EMD can be $1mil and I don't care if I have 14 days before it's due or a 14 day inspection clause. So for me it's all about how much time do I have to fully execute the contract. In this market, going under contract means control. And control is just the beginning is how I look at it. Because the last thing I need is a seller saying we have a deal but that evening goes UC with someone else. lol

    • Diana KhanPro Member
      OP
      Attorney · 10451 Mill Run Cir #755 Owings Mills, MD 21117 · Member since 2024 · 449 posts · 170 votes
      1mo

      I like the way you describe it as having control of the deal. That is a good way to look at it. I’ve seen buyers get so focused on getting a property under contract that they do not always stop to think about how much time and flexibility they actually have once they are in.

      That is why I pay so much attention to the exit language and the deadlines tied to it. Getting the contract signed is one step. Knowing exactly what you can and cannot do after that is just as important. Thanks for adding your perspective @Adam Macias!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.