Deals Come When You Are In The Game!

Deals Come When You Are In The Game!

Investor / Mentor / Contractor · Arcadia, CA Buying Out of State · Member since 2015 · 654 posts · 622 votes

When I go into a new market I try to buy a property quickly. It gives instant credibility. Once you buy a few the deals start coming from all places you wouldn't expect.

I met a business owner in town and became friends. One day he calls me and says he and his wife want to sell a building they own and they thought of me.  This is in Wisconsin and I'm in Southern California. He wanted to call me first? How cool.

Well, It's because I was seen as a player, a closer (meaning I close on deals I put under contract).

I said, "I didn't know you owned a building" and to that he said "yes, it's the building with two - first floor retail spaces and 9 apartments on the corner".

Dang, just what I love. Multifamily and with strong retail tenants as a bonus. 

The rental income at purchase was $8400/mo.  I paid $600k and got a local bank to loan 75% for 5-years at 3.85%.  I brought in a partner who funded the downpayment.  We didn't need to rehab except for a couple units when they became empty and we used cash flow (so no additional capital needed).

The rents are now $10,700/mo and we are cash flowing well.  It's a great property with still a lot of upside potential. For instance we are raising rents now because we put in a laundry facility.

Morale of the story is to close on a deal quickly, then be the go to guy for off-market deals by doing what you say you'll do.

2Reply
39 views

Most Popular Reply

Jonathan GreeneBusiness Member
Real Estate Consultant · Madison, NJ · Member since 2016 · 6k+ posts · 7k+ votes
1y

This is so true. Networking is where all the real deals come from because anything you see on the market or on a wholesalers email list has already been sent to all of the VIP and they passed. Real owners want to work with closers as you said. When you prove yourself as a closer, people know.

When you focus on building relationships in the area you are investing and talking to people without an ask, things come to you. Great reminder for all investors.

See this reply in the discussion

6 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Jonathan GreeneBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Madison, NJ · Member since 2016 · 6k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    1y

    This is so true. Networking is where all the real deals come from because anything you see on the market or on a wholesalers email list has already been sent to all of the VIP and they passed. Real owners want to work with closers as you said. When you prove yourself as a closer, people know.

    When you focus on building relationships in the area you are investing and talking to people without an ask, things come to you. Great reminder for all investors.

  • Lender · TX · Member since 2024 · 308 posts · 196 votes
    1y

    Great story! It shows how closing deals and building a solid reputation attracts off-market opportunities.

  • Member since 2024 · 1 post · 0 votes
    1y

    That'a a deal 🔥

  • Investor · CA · Member since 2024 · 82 posts · 31 votes
    1y

    Tim, this is gold! Your story proves that being in the game creates opportunities you can’t plan for. I haven’t closed my first deal yet, but I’m laser-focused on getting in the game and becoming ‘the guy’ people call when deals come up.

    Your strategy of partnering for the down payment is exactly what I’m working toward—leveraging relationships to make things happen. Thanks for sharing your insight! How do you build trust so quickly in a new market?

  • Investor / Mentor / Contractor · Arcadia, CA Buying Out of State · Member since 2015 · 654 posts · 622 votes
    1y
    Quote from @Anderson Banegas Cerrato:

    Tim, this is gold! Your story proves that being in the game creates opportunities you can’t plan for. I haven’t closed my first deal yet, but I’m laser-focused on getting in the game and becoming ‘the guy’ people call when deals come up.

    Your strategy of partnering for the down payment is exactly what I’m working toward—leveraging relationships to make things happen. Thanks for sharing your insight! How do you build trust so quickly in a new market?


     Hey Anderson,  you need show up in the market often. Calls and emails won't do it. Plane, Train, or Automobile and meet in person.

  • Investor · CA · Member since 2024 · 82 posts · 31 votes
    1y
    Quote from @Tim Ryan:
    Quote from @Anderson Banegas Cerrato:

    Tim, this is gold! Your story proves that being in the game creates opportunities you can’t plan for. I haven’t closed my first deal yet, but I’m laser-focused on getting in the game and becoming ‘the guy’ people call when deals come up.

    Your strategy of partnering for the down payment is exactly what I’m working toward—leveraging relationships to make things happen. Thanks for sharing your insight! How do you build trust so quickly in a new market?


     Hey Anderson,  you need show up in the market often. Calls and emails won't do it. Plane, Train, or Automobile and meet in person.

    Thanks, Tim! That’s solid advice—I can see how showing up in person makes all the difference. It’s about building trust and being seen as serious, right?

    I’m curious, when you’re entering a new market, what’s your approach to starting those in-person connections? Do you focus on brokers, property managers, or other investors first?

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.