How I Accidentally Fell in Love with Property Management

How I Accidentally Fell in Love with Property Management

Property Manager · Member since 2024 · 117 posts · 112 votes

For the longest time, I kept hearing, “Don’t get a job—find what you’re good at and charge for it!”
But for me, it was the other way around.

I found a job first, and then I kept asking myself, What am I really good at? Every time a mentor or coach asked, “What would you do if you could do it for free?” my answer was always the same: Helping people.

And that’s where I struggled. The idea of monetizing something I genuinely wanted to do for free felt… wrong.

Then I came across the word “ikigai”—a Japanese concept that represents the intersection of what you love, what you’re good at, what the world needs, and what you can be paid for. And suddenly, it clicked.

I realized I was exactly where I was meant to be.

I love my job because it brings real meaning and fulfillment to my days. Like when I helped Jane Doe, a property owner halfway across the country, sleep soundly during a blizzard—because even though she’s used to sunny California, she knew her property was in good hands. She trusted me, and she was right to do so.

I take pride in fixing the things that frustrated her before:

✅ Lack of communication? No worries, Jane—you see exactly what I see in maintenance, in real time.
✅ Endless phone extensions before reaching someone? Solved! You have a single point of contact here.
✅ No records of past inspections? Not a problem—ours are always available to you.

And while I was solving these problems, I found something bigger.
I found ikigai.

I’m incredibly grateful to work with like-minded professionals who believe in refining our processes to better serve people. And I see the impact of that every day.

Of course, there are stressful moments. Emergencies. Unexpected repairs. Difficult calls. But at the end of the day, that same love for what I do drives me to find solutions.
It strengthens the trust Jane has in me.
And that, right there, gives me even more reasons to love my job.

Have you ever had a moment where you realized you were exactly where you were meant to be? What was it?

3Reply
21 views

2 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Member since 2025 · 25 posts · 4 votes
    1y

    That's an awesome back story, do you have leads or properties that you're trying to get rid of?

  • Investor · Costa Mesa, CA · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    1y

    Gia, great post. I found my “Ikigai” many years ago working with hospice patients as a respiratory therapist. It’s why I’m still working when I could be retired. I still look forward to it every day. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.