"Finders Fees" in regards to remote wholesaling

"Finders Fees" in regards to remote wholesaling

Wholesaler · York, PA · Member since 2013 · 37 posts · 5 votes

Ok, so I'm just starting out in wholesaling and I'm quickly trying to put my systems in place. I want to start bringing on "property scouts" in different markets to basically submit offers to FSBOs on Craigslist.

I've read some things on here and it seems like the max you can pay someone who is not an agent is $500? Is this generally true(I realize some states may be different)?

The idea would be that my team would make offers and if the seller was interested, I would get property under contract. If the property closes I would cut them a check for $500 from my LLC. I figured it might take someone 15 minutes a day to make one offer, so it could be a good way to get extra money for doing very little work? I would like to pay people more and create a bonus system, etc. especially as my business grows to keep good "scouts".

Has anyone done something similar? If so, what things do I need to have in place? As a newbie, should I even attempt to tackle this?-My thought is, why not start building the foundation now?(I could be wrong?)

Thanks in advance!

0Reply
30 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Willow Spring, NC · Member since 2009 · 5k+ posts · 3k+ votes
12y

Crawl, walk, run. It seems like you are getting ahead of yourself until you know wholesaling yourself, and have done well enough to have a system that works with you operatiing as the finder. Once you are there, then it may make sense to build your 'franchise'.

See this reply in the discussion

9 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Willow Spring, NC · Member since 2009 · 5k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    12y

    Crawl, walk, run. It seems like you are getting ahead of yourself until you know wholesaling yourself, and have done well enough to have a system that works with you operatiing as the finder. Once you are there, then it may make sense to build your 'franchise'.

  • Wholesaler · York, PA · Member since 2013 · 37 posts · 5 votes
    12y

    thanks for the advice Chris. Just excited and trying to build Rome in a day I guess

  • New to Real Estate · Ogden · Member since 2014 · 107 posts · 19 votes
    11y

    I agree with Chris Martin and also, if it were me. I personally would want (need) to at least approach a few sellers & contract-then flip some deals. 

    To be a good business man and run a solid, working business model. You need to be able to relate, give honest advice, know what you're doing, etc. It could be done, but chances are it will fail, simply b/c you have little idea of what you'RE doing. 

    I have a cousin who has started business after business, and has been to court and sued twice due to minor things he could of easily avoided with EXPERIENCE. 

    We all learn best when we do the uncomfortable & hard stuff first. 

    ~Pleasant Investing~

  • Investor · Cleveland, OH · Member since 2015 · 6k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    11y

    @Christopher Thomas Where did you read "the max you can pay someone who is not an agent is $500"? Sounds like rubbish to me [but if I am wrong about that, someone please let me know]. 

    Most Wholesalers are not Licensed Agents, and I am sure they do not want to on-sell their Contracts for a mere $500. I am aware that Wholesalers are frowned upon by those who want to charge them for Operating without a License, but their provable defence is that they are not buying and selling property - just CONTRACTS! Everything else is purely: negotiation! [No legal advice given]. Cheers...

  • Investor · Willow Spring, NC · Member since 2009 · 5k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    11y

    @Brent Coombs the OP was talking in the context of "Finders Fee". Finders and brokers/wholesalers are different. Finders find potential buyers or sellers, stimulate interest and bring parties together, while brokers and wholesalers bring the parties to an agreement on particular terms.

    For more information, here is a legal case that provides a lot of details about finders. Search for Distinguishing Brokers and Finders. Not applicable in all states, but the text is helpful in contrasting the two REI functions.

  • Bedford, NH · Member since 2012 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    11y
    Originally posted by @Brent Coombs:

    @Christopher Thomas Where did you read "the max you can pay someone who is not an agent is $500"? Sounds like rubbish to me [but if I am wrong about that, someone please let me know]. 

    Most Wholesalers are not Licensed Agents, and I am sure they do not want to on-sell their Contracts for a mere $500. I am aware that Wholesalers are frowned upon by those who want to charge them for Operating without a License, but their provable defence is that they are not buying and selling property - just CONTRACTS! Everything else is purely: negotiation! [No legal advice given]. Cheers...

     It's a good thing no legal advice is being given, because if that were legal advice, it would be very, very bad legal advice.

  • Investor · Cleveland, OH · Member since 2015 · 6k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    11y

    @Chris Martin Didn't that case end up being about the FINDER suing for not getting paid (rather than BEING sued for the act of finding)? 

    My thoughts are that often, the USA should be sued for allowing Prosecuting Lawyers to get highly paid for frivolously carrying on like this!...

  • Investor · Willow Spring, NC · Member since 2009 · 5k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    11y

    This case went both ways. Overturned in appellate court. 

    I disagree with your frivolous comment. By the court(s) providing the text and "carrying on" in detail, we the public can get a much better understanding of why things (laws) are the way they are. In the same spirit, reading through the state's Real Estate disciplinary action records provides insight into what/where the lines are drawn as to what is acceptable and what is not.

  • Investor · Cleveland, OH · Member since 2015 · 6k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    11y

    @Chris Martin Yep. So now, go Bird Dog all the deals you can for your pro Wholesaler, and get paid by them however much you negotiate! [Do I have to say it again?: No legal advice given]. O, o, say can you seee...

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.