What's the best way to protect the deal?

What's the best way to protect the deal?

Greensboro, NC · Member since 2015 · 17 posts · 0 votes

No one answered in the other forum, so I figured here might be a good place!

Say I see a property and know who the perfect tenant/end buyer would be for it. I want to get control of the property so I can rent or sell it to the end buyer, but I need to get some sort of commitment from the tenant/buyer first before I would buy the property so I can mitigate risk! What is the best way for me to have full control over the property long enough to successfully put the deal together and protect myself from:

- The attorney who looks at the contracts and sees the fat profit I'm about to make and decides he can afford to risk a bit of money so he steals the deal from me

- The broker who gets wise to what I'm doing and convinces the seller to sell to him instead

- The tenant/end buyer who feels like they would save money if they just wait until my offer to purchase contract expires so they can go directly to the seller and cut me out of the deal

- The seller who gets jealous as soon as he figures out what I'm doing and how much I'm going to make, and cancels our contract or provides more red tape so that my contract to purchase the property expires and he can rent or sell the property for a bigger profit.

Any clauses, contract ideas, and other strategies to protect myself as much as possible would be greatly appreciated!

0Reply
28 views

1 Reply

Jump to latestLatest
  • Herndon, VA · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 324 votes
    11y

    The agent or lawyer aren't going to risk the ramifications for one lousy deal.

    You don't have standing to enter an agreement to rent out and possibly sell a property that you do not own.  

    Don't offer a lease that extends beyond your option.  That way the tenant has to deal with you if they want to buy the property.

    A seller who is willing to sell an option on a property is willing to trade getting top dollar to reduce hassle.

    There definitely are risks in these transactions, but I think they are different that what you have identified.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.