Potential FSBO Wholesale Opportunity in Richmond, VA

Potential FSBO Wholesale Opportunity in Richmond, VA

Flipper/Rehabber · Richmond, VA · Member since 2014 · 184 posts · 40 votes

I was driving through my parent's neighborhood in Richmond, VA and I noticed a 3 bedroom, 1 bath, 1920 sq ft property with a For Sale By Owner sign in the front yard. I stopped to take a look around and I noticed that the property is vacant and it looked like someone is currently flipping the property. I called the number on the sign and spoke to the owner. She purchased the property in September (last month) for $80k, she flipped the property, and is now trying to sell for $175k. She seems motivated to sell, saying that she needed to sell the property yesterday and I'm the only call she's gotten about the property so far. I did some research on comps in the area and I can see that her asking price is too high based on numbers in the neighborhood. I'm wondering if this could be a potential wholesale opportunity where I could help this woman get the property off her hands by selling to a buy and hold investor within an accurate price range. Since the property is renovated, I'm thinking $155k is more accurate range based on market comparison but of course I would have someone take a look at the property to determine the true value. She may not want to budge much on price at first but perhaps as time goes on she may start looking to get the property off her hands quickly. This could potentially be my first wholesale deal if things play out in my favor. For example, I could do a double closing for $160k to a buyer and $155k for the seller so that I would profit $5k. The numbers may vary based on how much time has passed. The profit in my example isn't much but it could be a good learning experience and an opportunity to help if this woman gets into trouble trying to sell. Does anyone have advice on whether this is a good idea, ways that I can set myself up for success with this opportunity, or any insight on whether this is worth putting my time into?

1Reply
34 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Richmond, VA · Member since 2015 · 52 posts · 105 votes
10y

my two cents here... Your wasting your time, unless they are running a big time rehab business(and probably not even then) they are not making anywhere near $95000 worth of improvements in less than a month. It takes almost that long just to get permits sometimes. If they bought it for 80 in September and think it is worth anywhere close to 175 in October either they slipped into the deal of a lifetime or they are very out of touch with the way the business works. Given the facts that they are appearently in a hurry to sell and simultaneously uninterested in marketing with an agent because they Dont want to give them 6% of this enormous one month windfall I would guess something is amiss. Either they gave you bad facts or there is something else missing. I don't see how there is any money for you to make here and certianly no wholesale opportunity.  Sometimes deals like this can be sandwiched or wrapped but given that they need the money now that's not even an option. I would move on. 

There is  a chance you could refer this "hot lead" to an agent and if they listed with them you could get a referral fee.  Send me a pm if you think that's possible and I will explain further.  

See this reply in the discussion

10 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Adrian StamerPro Member
    Real Estate Investor & Agent · Richmond, VA · Member since 2013 · 319 posts · 167 votes
    10y

    wholesaling is generally to investors so they would be looking to pay 70% of market value

    So not much you can here as a wholesaler. You could be an agent and sell it to an owner occupant, but that's a whole different task

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Richmond, VA · Member since 2014 · 184 posts · 40 votes
    10y

    Ok thanks for the feedback @Adrian Stamer

  • Professional · Fredericksburg, VA · Member since 2015 · 37 posts · 8 votes
    10y

    Good morning Gabrielle,

        I agree with Adrian's assessment. The asking is still going to be a bit high at 155K. If you wanted to try and move it you would need to convince the seller that they are too high and need to come down significantly. Not that I have the information on the actual property, but assuming your numbers are legit I would look to see if you can get her to 100K ... Which may not be doable depending on what she owes. Based on what I have seen in Richmond she may have over-payed. Things to keep in mind is that the market in that neighborhood (Average DOM)+ consider that winter is coming and the market changes then as well. Additionally buy and hold investors usually aren't looking for market value - We have taxes, vacancies, refinance fees, and repairs to tango with. We need the wiggle room in the properties value, so it must be under market value... 70 is good but I usually go 65%. Sounds a bit unfortunate for the seller. I would watch it and if it doesn't pan out and the seller folds, bird-dog it to a buyer.   

  • Investor · Fredericksburg, VA · Member since 2013 · 79 posts · 13 votes
    10y

    You're not going to find a flipper, since it's already been flipped, so the 70% rule doesn't really apply here. Owner occupant or buy and hold investors are what you're looking for. I think there's a deal to be made here but it depends on how low your seller is willing to go. Try to determine why they need to sell so fast. That will tell you how determined they are to sell. Find out what the local rents are for that type of house and run the numbers to see if it makes sense as a rental. Consider an owner financing scenario as well. Richmond is hot these days which is why the seller may think they can get more than market value, but in my experience the bump is usually only a few thousand more than market, not 20k more. Good luck. 

  • Investor · Richmond, VA · Member since 2015 · 52 posts · 105 votes
    10y

    my two cents here... Your wasting your time, unless they are running a big time rehab business(and probably not even then) they are not making anywhere near $95000 worth of improvements in less than a month. It takes almost that long just to get permits sometimes. If they bought it for 80 in September and think it is worth anywhere close to 175 in October either they slipped into the deal of a lifetime or they are very out of touch with the way the business works. Given the facts that they are appearently in a hurry to sell and simultaneously uninterested in marketing with an agent because they Dont want to give them 6% of this enormous one month windfall I would guess something is amiss. Either they gave you bad facts or there is something else missing. I don't see how there is any money for you to make here and certianly no wholesale opportunity.  Sometimes deals like this can be sandwiched or wrapped but given that they need the money now that's not even an option. I would move on. 

    There is  a chance you could refer this "hot lead" to an agent and if they listed with them you could get a referral fee.  Send me a pm if you think that's possible and I will explain further.  

  • Rental Property Investor · Weehawken, NJ · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 704 votes
    10y

    @Gabrielle E.

    That asking price is extremely high for a 3/1, so I imagine there is deflatable air in the balloon. 

    I think @Matt Weaver may have a point here. Even if they managed to 'fix' a lot of things, I would be concerned it's all facade, and larger issues await. If you think there's good in the sand, I would still get an inspection and see what is left to be done (you should always get an inspection, anyway).

    Hit me up if you want any details on that. We have a (recently acquired) duplex in Richmond, and were very happy with our inspection.

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Richmond, VA · Member since 2014 · 184 posts · 40 votes
    10y

    @Jairus King @Matt Weaver @Adam Stanton @Adrian Stamer thanks so much for the feedback. I agree with all of you. Based on the feedback, I think I'll bird dog for owner-occupant investors, buy and hold investors, or realtors. I'm sure this seller will be open to suggestions as time goes on and she begins to realize the true situation at hand.

    @Trevor Ewen I will contact you because I'm interested in investing in Richmond in the future and I would love your inspector recommendation.

    @Adam Stanton

  • Richmond, VA · Member since 2013 · 293 posts · 96 votes
    10y

    Hi @Gabrielle E.

    What neighborhood is the house in? Or general area? Prices fluctuate wildly even for a 3 bed 1 bath ranch home in the Richmond area. FSBO's are almost always overly optimistic on their sale price, but depending on location $175k could be reasonable (like near U of R, certain parts of the Freeman and Godwin High School districts). Most parts of the metro area though are closer to $140ish to $150ish for a 3/1 in really nice shape being marketed to owner-occupants.

    Hence the old RE addage, "location location location!" Good luck!

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Richmond, VA · Member since 2014 · 184 posts · 40 votes
    10y

    Hi @Jon Deavers the house is in Chamberlayne Farms near Wilder Middle School. Compared to the other homes in the area it doesn't seem like the house should be listed as high. The seller told me she is going to list the property with a realtor so we'll see what happens with the price once that happens.

  • Member since 2019 · 1 post · 0 votes
    7y

    I have a question for a realtor if you don't mind if you have a real estate license and you want to do investing in properties does that get in the way is there a law that will stop you?

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.