Direct Mail Piece: Yellow Letter with Company Letterhead?

Direct Mail Piece: Yellow Letter with Company Letterhead?

Realtor · Bellevue, WA · Member since 2013 · 66 posts · 10 votes

Does anyone have their company letterhead on their yellow paper direct mail piece? I am thinking about doing this and save money on always including a business card in everyone of my mail piecec.

Also, does anyone have any creative mail pieces that they send along with their yellow letter that elicits a stronger response?

0Reply
22 views

Most Popular Reply

Lender · Playa del Carmen, México · Member since 2014 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
10y

Hi @Joe Kooner. Maybe we're talking about a different yellow letter, but...

The premise behind the popular handwritten letter on ruled yellow paper is supposed to be that you're a regular "joe" trying to buy (or sell) a house. The informal, low-wattage presentation is intended to sneak past the defenses most normal people have to "slimy real estate professionals."

This folksy, intimate vibe gets blown out of the water the minute you put a letterhead, or business card, or any other corporate insignia anywhere near that letter. The dissonance alone would be deafening: Imagine valet parking for a hot dog stand. Or, high-performance suspension on a Yugo.

Now, you could certainly choose to go full-throttle corporate in your mail piece, but in that case you probably shouldn't be using a yellow letter to do so.

See this reply in the discussion

9 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Professional Auctioneer · Baltimore, MD · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    10y

    I don't get this "yellow letter" thing. So if you offer to buy someone's real estate and it is written on yellow paper, you get more accepted offers?

    For years now I have been saving these cards and letters from so called investors. I have hundreds of them.  I am thinking about doing a blog about them.

    What I did do to get prospective seller's attend is to send an antique Indian Head Nickel, that I put in a little plastic pack with my message and name in it. That really gets attention (go on the internet, you can buy them)

    Sometimes I will meet someone who says, "Hey Charlie I still have that nickel you gave me." That is something people don't forget.

    I purchase a house years ago, in the closet was a ammo box with thousands of these nickels.  Some them I found later after giving hundreds away have a value more than a nickel.  My son talked to someone last week who said she sold hers for $90.00...oh well!

    I believe anything you put in your solicitation letter that will get the seller's attention is a good thing and it helps them to remember you. Get creative.

    My next mailing I will enclose a lead penny. (have thousands of them also)

    So if the "yellow letter" does not get their attention, send them something of value, something they can save and think of you when the thought comes to them about selling their real estate.

    Charles

  • Lender · Playa del Carmen, México · Member since 2014 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    10y

    Hi @Joe Kooner. Maybe we're talking about a different yellow letter, but...

    The premise behind the popular handwritten letter on ruled yellow paper is supposed to be that you're a regular "joe" trying to buy (or sell) a house. The informal, low-wattage presentation is intended to sneak past the defenses most normal people have to "slimy real estate professionals."

    This folksy, intimate vibe gets blown out of the water the minute you put a letterhead, or business card, or any other corporate insignia anywhere near that letter. The dissonance alone would be deafening: Imagine valet parking for a hot dog stand. Or, high-performance suspension on a Yugo.

    Now, you could certainly choose to go full-throttle corporate in your mail piece, but in that case you probably shouldn't be using a yellow letter to do so.

  • Realtor · Bellevue, WA · Member since 2013 · 66 posts · 10 votes
    10y

    @Mitch Messer @Account Closed

    It's interesting to hear about other's opinions. Definitely varies for sure, which is good!

    My belief is that is that this is not a hobby, and if it's a business or I hope to make this into a business, then I have to treat it like a business.

    However, I do understand where you're coming from regarding the "average-Joe" mentality. My goal is to come off sincere because our company is founded off of this concept, but at the same time, want future sellers to know that we do treat this as a business and can deliver what we say we will, professionally.

  • Professional Auctioneer · Baltimore, MD · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    10y

    I believe that a professional written letter with a request to purchase real estate, with added credentials (license, bonded, with the BBB, references and some background information about yourself will be more respected than a hand written note on yellow paper, the consumers today are very smart) I don't (I am often wrong) think they are going to get excited by a yellow letter.

    It is my opinion if you want to find deals, forget the mailings, get out on the street and start to meet people who want to sell their properties; for sale by owners, expired listings, internet leads, farm an area, talk to people, run ads, folks in tax sale or mortgage foreclosure. 

    Don't be a passive investor, get off the letter writing thing, stop licking stamps, or mailing letters regardless of the color, get out there on the street, be proactive and find the deal.  You only need one. Do that one and go find another, while your competition is sending letters you are talking to sellers and making offers........that's what I am talking about.

    Charles

  • Real Estate Professional · Bakersfield, CA · Member since 2014 · 205 posts · 87 votes
    10y

    Direct mail is an amazing thing. You can reach thousands of people in the time that you could reach only a couple if you were to go door to door. 

    There is not one magic piece, however i can tell you that putting your letterhead on a yellow letter completely defeats the purpose of the yellow letter as @Mitch Messer mentioned.

    Yellow Letters work great. So do typed professional letters. The key to a successful direct mail campaign is consistency and variety. Don't mail the same letter over and over. Hit them a minimum of 6 times using a different mail piece each time. Yellow Letters, Zip Letters, small/large text postcards, small/large full color postcards, greeting cards, professional typed letters.... There are TONS of options.

  • Realtor · Bellevue, WA · Member since 2013 · 66 posts · 10 votes
    10y

    @Cody Alexander

    Thanks for the help cody! I appreciate the insight regarding the letterhead and methods of consistency. 

  • Real Estate Professional · Bakersfield, CA · Member since 2014 · 205 posts · 87 votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Joe Kooner:

    @Cody Alexander

    Thanks for the help cody! I appreciate the insight regarding the letterhead and methods of consistency. 

     No problem sir. Feel free to reach out if you need any help or have any questions.

  • Justin SilverioPro Member
    Developer · Andover, MA · Member since 2008 · 1k+ posts · 489 votes
    10y

    @Joe KoonerI think using your letterhead on your mail pieces is a great idea but as Cody mentioned, I wouldn't do this on a yellow letter.  Many people use yellow letters and while they get people deals, I'd recommend doing something different to get noticed.  Using colorful or unique style envelopes and different sized paper should provide higher response rates. My approach is if everyone is mailing the same piece, I want to mail something different to get to the sellers hands first!  

    Also, I agree with Cody, consistency with direct mail is critical!

  • Realtor · Bellevue, WA · Member since 2013 · 66 posts · 10 votes
    10y

    @Justin Silverio

    I agree. I was thinking about using a blue color envelope and dropping a business card with my mailers. But I cannot think of any other unique things to include in my mailings.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.