OMG IM BEING SUED!!

OMG IM BEING SUED!!

North Miami Beach, FL · Member since 2015 · 10 posts · 0 votes

I went under contract with my seller. He hasnt paid the mortgage in a few years. His statements show he owes 262k so we go under contract at 268k since all lis pendens were dismissed without prejudice. I find a buyer who is using a buyers agent. I told him about the assignment but he doesnt know what an assignment is so after consulting with his attorney, they say to use the FARBAR and we'll assign it at closing instead. I told them multiple times that I was still waiting for the payoff from my title company. Fast forward 2 days and we finally get the payoff at $377k! I let the my buyers know of this problem and let them know i cant close because of the WAY HIGH payoff. The lawyer now wants me to pay for his buyers fees and damages / sue for specific performance. WHAT DAMAGES?? IF I CAN CLOSE AT 270K I WOULD.

What direction should i lean towards? I used the standard FARBAR that states that my buyer pays closing costs, fee, title search, and doc stamps. I know that since you are not my attorney, this is not legal advice. I just need to figure out if im actually in the wrong for this or if im safe and wont be forced to pay ... I dont even know WHAT im paying for since I ran the title and lien search with my title company. Technically this is a nonmarketable title right?? I know this is not my fault but will the judge see it the same way??

please help :(

0Reply
56 views

Most Popular Reply

Real Estate Investor · Saint Petersburg, FL · Member since 2013 · 1k+ posts · 951 votes
10y

Not sure why you figured the payoff would only be a few thousand more than the original principal balance when the mortgage hadn't been paid in years and a foreclosure case had been filed. Tack on all back interest, legal fees, property preservation, taxes, insurance, etc and you're going to going to have a payoff amount much larger than just the UPB.

This is what happens when you don't do you research and when you start dealing in things you aren't qualified to handle.  If you had a license you'd probably know to get a payoff before you start trying to sign contracts with someone else.  You'd probably have the buyer sign disclosures and add a condition about the maximum payoff amount to sell at that price.   Instead you're running around acting like an agent without a license and without the understanding of what you're doing and of course you're going to open yourself up to being sued if you screw up.  

See this reply in the discussion

32 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Sherman Oaks, CA · Member since 2008 · 6k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    10y

    @Account Closedis an authority on illegal wholesaling.

    @Juliana Cortesget on title, learn how to do that with a contract attorney.

    @Wayne Brooksis excellent in FLA as per advise, but listen to it!

    Once you own the property, you have legal recourse.

  • Real Estate Broker · Naples, FL · Member since 2013 · 9k+ posts · 6k+ votes
    10y

    I purchased a rental in September 2015. The seller owed 200K. I purchased for 120. Seller had to come to the table with 80K. Price has nothing to do with providing marketable title.

  • Real Estate Investor · Saint Petersburg, FL · Member since 2013 · 1k+ posts · 951 votes
    10y

    Not sure why you figured the payoff would only be a few thousand more than the original principal balance when the mortgage hadn't been paid in years and a foreclosure case had been filed. Tack on all back interest, legal fees, property preservation, taxes, insurance, etc and you're going to going to have a payoff amount much larger than just the UPB.

    This is what happens when you don't do you research and when you start dealing in things you aren't qualified to handle.  If you had a license you'd probably know to get a payoff before you start trying to sign contracts with someone else.  You'd probably have the buyer sign disclosures and add a condition about the maximum payoff amount to sell at that price.   Instead you're running around acting like an agent without a license and without the understanding of what you're doing and of course you're going to open yourself up to being sued if you screw up.  

  • Lender · Greater LA/Orange County area, CA · Member since 2012 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    10y

    Suit for specific performance for a buyer when seller can't perform? 

    Poppycock!

    Won't go anywhere. 

  • Rental Property Investor · East Wenatchee, WA · Member since 2014 · 10k+ posts · 16k+ votes
    10y

    Re-submit the offer to the bank as a short sale.  Either yourself or buyer.  The bank hasn't received money in years.  May make it all whole for everyone?  

    The key ingredients to the mess here:  a homeowner in default, a wholesaler, an attorney or two and an agent or two.  Whatever happened to clean off-market transactions with a solvent homeowner? They are the only fit for wholesaling, if any.  All this and @Juliana Cortesactually sounds like she knows what she's doing!  

  • Denver, CO · Member since 2015 · 251 posts · 123 votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Juliana Cortes:

    Are you saying the "buyers" illegally changed the locks on a house they don't own?

  • Buy & Hold Owner · Redlands, CA · Member since 2015 · 5k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Patrick L.:

     If you had a license you'd probably know to get a payoff before you start trying to sign contracts with someone else. 

     :giggle:  Bank will disclose payoff only to { principles || title co || escrow agents }

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.