Richmond, TX · Member since 2015 · 12 posts · 9 votes
Good afternoon Houston and surrounding area investors! I'm looking to start a direct mail marketing campaign and was curious as to which zip codes/ areas are you guys are targeting/ investing in. Any info provided will be appreciated! Have a great day and happy investing!
Afternoon sir. Awesome news and good luck on the DM campaign! Houston is pretty large, I think theres about 70+ zip codes in what I would call a desirable area for wholesaling to other investors. What kind of mail piece to you plan on sending and to whom?
Richmond, TX · Member since 2015 · 12 posts · 9 votes
10y
Hi @Terry Evans. My plan is to send postcards to absentee owners. I have a list of zip codes that I've researched and plan to include in my campaign, but just wanted to get a idea from the BP community as to where folks were investing.
Houston, TX · Member since 2016 · 3 posts · 1 vote
10y
Hi @Rashad Alexander - good luck on your upcoming DM campain - I'm a new investor in the Houston area (North - Klein/Spring, Woodlands, and surrounding area). Still looking for information myself on the best zip codes to target so I'll be following this closely.
Curious - is there a specific submarket you are focusing your wholesale activity in?
Investor · Pleasanton, CA · Member since 2016 · 46 posts · 17 votes
10y
Hi @Rashad Alexander. I live in California but have invested in Houston in 2008 and 2009 (still holding my properties there). I have started looking into expanding my real estate activities and this recurring theme of "mailing absentee [out of state] owners" has always seemed strange to me. Maybe because I am one, I have received many postcards and letters over the years and they did nothing to prompt me to consider selling my properties. By the way I don't consider being absentee just because I am out of state.
I am interested in hearing what kind of return you and others get on such mailing to absentee [out of state] owners.
My properties are in zip code 77084 (2 duplexes), 77038 (1 duplex), and 77033 (1 duplex). All with nice cash flow (bought low in 2008 and 2009) but best performing are in the 77084 zip code. Hope this helps...
Wholesaler · Houston, TX · Member since 2013 · 73 posts · 9 votes
10y
@Rashad Alexander and @Terry Evans let us know how you guys do. Don't get discouraged if you don't get any calls especially if you mail less than 500 postcards, you'll need to make several rounds of mailers. In addition to that, the market is pretty competitive right now so it makes it more difficult.
As far as zip codes go, depending on how many leads you intend to mail, you may be better off targeting whatever you get because you might not have enough leads if you're picking zip codes. Now, if you intend on mailing 1000+ and you can get 1000 leads by choosing zip codes then have at it.
@Fred Weiller you don't have a need to sell your properties, so that's why the postcards don't work on you. I've got a duplex myself and I am always looking for 2-4 unit buildings. If you ever decide to sell your duplexes let me know, I may be interested in buying them or at the very least, help you list them.
Flipper/Rehabber · Spring, TX · Member since 2015 · 99 posts · 62 votes
10y
Hello @Rashad Alexander Just like @Fred Weiller, Most landlords don't have a need to sell their properties at a discount or just not yet... But you are not looking for happy landlords you are looking to help distressed landlords. So, yes the response rate will be low, but the reward will be great for all parties involved when you find one. One of the deals we have now, is from a tired landlord (she was turning 70 and the last tenant had trashed the place). She said she had received a ton of postcards from investors, before she called me from my bandit sign. Your bait just has to be in the right place at the right time. Of course the more bait you have out their the more bites you will get.