Liens, Debt and Encumbrances on Wholesaling Properties

Liens, Debt and Encumbrances on Wholesaling Properties

Edison, NJ · Member since 2016 · 3 posts · 0 votes

Hey fellow members, 

I am a new real estate investor in NJ and I have a question in regard to wholesaling. I was a bit confused...If a property (that may be distressed or the seller has to sell) has any debt like liens and encumbrances, does it still "qualify" for a wholesale property? I was told it doesn't and I didn't quite understand this. Thank you for your time .

Arvind Saxena 

0Reply
17 views

2 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Investor · Buffalo, NY · Member since 2013 · 227 posts · 318 votes
    10y

    @Arvind Saxena you should be able to still wholesale it.  You just need to consider the lien into your purchase price.  For example I recently wholesaled a house that had a 10k lien  for a business loan.  I explained to the seller that I would take care of the lien and give them 40k for the house.  My end buyer paid 60k for the house.  I got on the phone with the lien holder and got them to settle the 10k debt for 6k and at closing three check were written.  One for 40k to the seller; one for 6k to the lien holder, and one for 14k to me.  All using the end buyers money.  I also do it all the time with back tax liens.  Hope this helps.  Good luck!!!

  • Edison, NJ · Member since 2016 · 3 posts · 0 votes
    10y

    Thank you so much!! Wow great profit! I understand it a bit better. 

    Can we maybe use numbers to explain it? 

    Lets say the MAO of the house is $45,000 and a cash buyer wants it for $55,000

    and we find out by the owner/title company the lien on the house is $5,000 

    We can just take care of that by negotiating with the lien holder to lets say $3,000 

    so then we tell the seller he is gonna get $42,000 and I flip it 

    Seller receives = $42,000

    Lien Holder = $3,000

    Me = $10,000

    Do the numbers look right?

    Thanks

    Arvind Saxena 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.