Meeting with RE Attorney - What questions to ask?

Meeting with RE Attorney - What questions to ask?

Sykesville, MD · Member since 2016 · 2 posts · 0 votes

Hi all,

New to biggerpockets here - I am setting myself to get into wholesaling in Maryland. Little to no prior REI experience.

One thing I do have though is a good network of resources to get myself studied up. I was able to get in touch with and arrange a meeting with a local RE attorney that is familiar with wholesaling. My main goals are to discuss template contracts that are in accordance with local state/municipal law, and also just generally learn more about the do's and don'ts of wholesaling in MD.

My question for you all is: what other questions would you recommend I ask? I feel like this is a great opportunity and I want to make sure I get the most out of it. He also has a title company in house too. Any feedback is wholly appreciated!

Looking forward to participating in discussions here in the future.

Steve

0Reply
20 views

3 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Orlando, FL · Member since 2012 · 183 posts · 155 votes
    10y

    If it's your first meeting then I'm going to assume it's a free consultation. That means have a list of every question you have ever had and ask until he tells you he's out of time. They usually give you about 30 min or so the first meeting. Also, let him know you will use him/his title company for your closings, which is something I'm sure he will be selling you on. He will make money on all of the title policies written so if you're bringing him deals hopefully he will keep giving you "free" consultations. 

  • Sykesville, MD · Member since 2016 · 2 posts · 0 votes
    10y

    Zach - thank you for that. In your opinion/experience, is it best to have a professional like this draft up your template documents? Or do you believe there is enough information on the web to build a reliable template? My main concern is making sure I stick to Maryland law, which I know little about.

  • Laurel, MD · Member since 2016 · 12 posts · 2 votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Account Closed:

    Hi all,

    New to biggerpockets here - I am setting myself to get into wholesaling in Maryland. Little to no prior REI experience.

    One thing I do have though is a good network of resources to get myself studied up. I was able to get in touch with and arrange a meeting with a local RE attorney that is familiar with wholesaling. My main goals are to discuss template contracts that are in accordance with local state/municipal law, and also just generally learn more about the do's and don'ts of wholesaling in MD.

    My question for you all is: what other questions would you recommend I ask? I feel like this is a great opportunity and I want to make sure I get the most out of it. He also has a title company in house too. Any feedback is wholly appreciated!

    Looking forward to participating in discussions here in the future.

    Steve

     Hi Steve. Question. Is it possible to do wholesaling part time while having a full time job? Also, you mentioned having a good network of resources for studying up. If you don't mind me asking, what resources would that be?

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.