Making an offer on a property but to Sellers Partner. Help

Making an offer on a property but to Sellers Partner. Help

Wholesaler · Mount Rainer, MD · Member since 2013 · 31 posts · 5 votes

Hey Everyone,

Hope all is well. I have a lead that was called in from my postcard campaign. When the gentleman initially called me he left a message with the address of the property in the VM. When I returned the call I asked him if he was the owner because his name was no where in the tax records. He mentioned he is the partner of the seller and the seller wants $60,000 for the property. I asked if I can speak with the seller but he refused and explained to me the seller has a lot going on and would rather communicate through him.

Since the property was not too far from me I decided to check it out and I think its a solid deal I can wholesale. I have 3 buyers who love the area. I can possible wholesale it between $55,000-$62,000. My issue is I really would rather communicate with the seller. The gentleman did have the keys and was able to gain me access but I feel like he may come between the deal.

Has anyone experienced something like this? Is there anything I could say to convince him that I need to speak with seller to proceed? I was going to mention to him that my title company would need to speak with him. Any help with be great? 

1Reply
28 views

2 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Realtor · Seattle, WA · Member since 2016 · 97 posts · 33 votes
    9y

    Hi @Jeffrey Mark, 

    I have had this situation arise... and its annoying, as a wholesaler. What I have found, too, is that you may be getting tested as well to see if you are legit, or just gaming them.

    I would get the offer to them and see if you can meet the seller and "partner" in person to sign the deal. The fact of the matter is, if this guy is going to come between the seller and you, there is not much you will be able to do, unless the seller asks them to leave. If the deal actually does move to close, the seller would have to produce identification to the escrow closer or notary to verify they are the legal owner of the property (or they should). If they are not actually a part of the transaction, they will be asked to either step out of the way or to verify that they are needed there at the signing. 

    I have also had to work with some folks that were elderly, and one of their kids had power of attorney, and not only did that person weigh in on the sale, but all the siblings had to have their say on the deal. That was just part of gauntlet I had to go through to get the deal. 

    I would jump through the hoop, and see how far the deal goes. The truth usually makes its way out at some point in that process. 

    I hope that was helpful. Cheers, and happy hunting!

    Brian Truman

  • Investor · Orlando, FL · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 780 votes
    9y

    Apparently he is acting like an agent and in that situation many times you don't directly speak to the seller. Present your contract to the person you are talking to if the numbers work out for you to flip it.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.