Very motivated Seller, very weird tenant

Very motivated Seller, very weird tenant

Fishers, IN · Member since 2016 · 12 posts · 2 votes

I met with a very motivated seller yesterday.  a 1 bedroom each side duplex,  the current tenant has been there for 10 years and never had a late payment.   but when we agreed to meet and for her to show us the property, she would not let the owner in.  after about 30 minutes of waiting out side while the owner texted back and forth with the tenant, she finally agreed to let us in.  we only got in as far as the living room/kitchen, and were told we could not go into the bedroom/bathroom because the dog was in there.  but the dog only barked like twice since we were there, hardly menacing.  

what do you do in this situation? are their buyers out their that will purchase the property and leave the tenant in place.  I guess the tenant has done some of the upgrades with her own money, and apparently the seller and Tenant normally have a great relationship, but not yesterday.  it wasn't hostile at all, just non responsive.  I think the tenant just hoped that we would just go away.

So there are PROs and CONs to this situation.  I have a very nice and motivated seller, but I have difficulties with seeing the property since the tenant is being non-responsive.

thanks

0Reply
22 views

2 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Agent · Willoughby, OH · Member since 2014 · 560 posts · 690 votes
    9y

    What does the lease look like? Sounds funny but some people are protective of their personal space. It is good that you were at least able to see the unit's living room and kitchen. That limits your risk of something being wrong to just the bed and bathrooms. There are many buyers out there that will leave tenants in place, especially a 10 year solid tenant that has never been late. Most agree that it is preferable. I wouldn't be overly concerned with the info you provided.

  • Fishers, IN · Member since 2016 · 12 posts · 2 votes
    9y
    Thanks Jeff, yea it is a bit strange, but I may forge ahead.
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.