Wholesaling danger in Florida

Wholesaling danger in Florida

Richmond, VA · Member since 2018 · 47 posts · 20 votes

I just came across an older thread about wholesaling in Florida that basically said it's illegal to get a property under contract then market and sell it without a broker's license.  This has me concerned as I have this exact type of deal on the table right now.  Luckily, if what this thread says is true, I haven't done anything illegal yet.  I posted at the end of the thread, link here, an idea for a potential workaround.  Anyone with similar experience in Florida or any other state please take a look and let me know what you think.  All help is greatly appreciated

2Reply
132 views

Most Popular Reply

Rental Property Investor · St. Petersburg, FL · Member since 2017 · 3k+ posts · 4k+ votes
7y

@Teren Cooley if I may play devil's advocate for a minute....

Does it make logical sense that someone who, presumably, owns a number of properties and lots, is going to sell you, someone he's not related to, for 1/5th of its value?

Why would this person do that?

Have you seen the land?

How did you put a value on it? Are you experienced in the market and land valuatuons?

If you told me that you made a deal to buy a $100K piece of land for $75k, I would have thought that you were a good negotiator and made a compelling case to sell quickly, for a discount.

But $20k? I would be very cautious. There may be something that you dont see here....

See this reply in the discussion

28 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Ian WalshBusiness Member
    Lender · Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2016 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    7y

    You are selling the rights of a contract not a property.

  • Real Estate Broker · Naples, FL · Member since 2013 · 9k+ posts · 6k+ votes
    7y

    See 475.42 and 475.43. It is illegal to market the property unless you are the owner or licensed.. 

  • Realtor · Tempe, AZ · Member since 2017 · 541 posts · 442 votes
    7y

    Buy and resell. You'll find a lot of the best deals through agents anyway, and most agents are smart enough to not have their seller accept an assignable contract

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.