How do you keep fleas off you in these off mrkt properties?

How do you keep fleas off you in these off mrkt properties?

Real Estate Agent · Birmingham, AL · Member since 2018 · 72 posts · 37 votes

Just curious if anyone has found a way to combat fleas in off market properties from infesting you as well? Flea collars around ankles? Tyvek painters suits? Just deal with it?

Does anyone have a routine they do before entering a vacant house?

I've been wearing khaki pants when I go check out a prop just so I can easily see them and flick them off but this last one i went in they were ALLL over me the second i went in.

0Reply
27 views

Most Popular Reply

Specialist · Easton, PA · Member since 2018 · 1k+ posts · 2k+ votes
7y

@Amanda Kessler

Quite the contrary. Any house can have fleas whether it’s a dump or a million dollar house. Being dirty has nothing to do with fleas.

See this reply in the discussion

8 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · Member since 2018 · 207 posts · 225 votes
    7y

    I have never had such a problem, and that sounds terrible! Normally I'm running for the front door to get away from the mosquitos here in Coastal VA. OFF! repels fleas and is available at any wal-mart. It also repels mosquites. I hope that helps, be safe out there!

  • Member since 2019 · 111 posts · 36 votes
    7y

    I would never look at properties that have a chnace of having fleas. Must be very dirty places. Perhaps long socks and pants tucked into them will help.

  • HIGHLAND, MD · Member since 2011 · 160 posts · 141 votes
    7y

    @Trey Crusey

    You mean it’s not in the listing?

    “ALL FLEAS CONVEY”

    I have run into fleas infestation a few times and it annoying and gross but part of the territory. Long pants help but when it’s really bad they fleas get into every crevice of your shoes.

    Take a painting suit from Home Depot and cut the leg off at the thigh. Slide them up your legs and hold in place with rubber bands. Have a pair of tall rubber “looking at ****** fleas house” boots and carry all that in a trash bag so you don’t bring the fleas into your personal residence. If that’s all to much just use the tall rubber boots and move thru the house quickly. Fleas sense your body heat and move for the quick meal.

  • Specialist · Easton, PA · Member since 2018 · 1k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    7y

    @Amanda Kessler

    Quite the contrary. Any house can have fleas whether it’s a dump or a million dollar house. Being dirty has nothing to do with fleas.

  • Rental Property Investor · Concord, GA · Member since 2015 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    7y
    Most houses that have flea infestations likely had pets there recently but also vermin can host them. We've had flea infestations in our home and have never had an indoor animal of any sort. It takes about 3 "bombing" events spaced three weeks apart to kill the adults, juveniles and eggs. They can just come into the property on people as well as animals. Insect repellent should help.
  • Alex KhanPro Member
    Specialist · Southeast Michigan · Member since 2015 · 300 posts · 244 votes
    7y

    @Trey Crusey you should see some of the Detroit houses that had a gang of pit bulls living there for years.

    I personally don’t even go in the house but I send one of my guys in to check everything out then I offer pennies on the dollar, sign a purchase agreement, give them a box of contractor bags and the smoke cans for fleas along with sticking a lockbox on the door.

    These are some of the best deals I ever come across because most people don’t even want to step in the house and it doesn’t cost more than a grand to get the whole place emptied out, exterminated and bleached top to bottom.

  • Kenosha, WI · Member since 2015 · 89 posts · 81 votes
    7y

    Wait a minute! Wait a minute! I think you have identified an untapped niche in REI. Two words - FLEA CIRCUS!

    Low acreage required, low overhead.

    Just be certain that if the fleas bring their own dog that it does not have one of those Emotional Support Animal certificates printed off the internet.

  • Wilmington, DE · Member since 2015 · 121 posts · 36 votes
    7y

    @Trey Crusey we run into this all the time. Bug spray works just fine.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.