How do I work with Agents on Wholesale Deals w/o getting burned

How do I work with Agents on Wholesale Deals w/o getting burned

Member since 2019 · 5 posts · 0 votes

I have a agent who is bringing me deals to market to my investors in exchange all 3 parties take 1% including myself. My thing is I've worked hard sucked up and kissed a lot of butt to these investors marketing these properties and I have done so with just the address and the price. A lot of investors have just ghosted but I have had a good 1% response rate and those investors are actually pretty interested (if not who cares I'll find another, one man trash next man gold) and would like to see the property obviously before buying. And don't get me wrong I AM NOT COMPLAINING IT WAS ALL WELL WORTH IT. So who would be the one to show the property because I find it a bit sketchy that I bring the buyer he talk to the agents and I just see them trying to do the deal around me I know its "not cool" to assume the worst in people but I know you are constantly getting burned in this business and my work is NOT for free. Some might say oh you didn't do anything all you did was find a buyer blah blah blah but no I put in work I got cursed out told I would never get a buyer for these deals people told me I was a low life all sorts of bullcrap, some even literally threatened to report me for "harassment"  when all I did was contact them once! (Again not complaining all that bs went in one ear out the other) And this agent didn't even get any of these properties on contract it was his inventory list. I just need to know exactly what I need to do to prevent this from happening one because I will be missing out on a pretty nice payday as this property is over 1M and as I emphasized my work is never for free. I need some good advice here. Thank you very much in advance

0Reply
18 views

Most Popular Reply

Will BarnardPro Member
Moderator
Developer · Santa Clarita, CA · Member since 2008 · 15k+ posts · 10k+ votes
6y
Originally posted by @Aaden Monroe:

@Will Barnard 

If me locating a buyer is Illegal for a Realtor through my company is illegal. How is me locating a buyer for a homeowner Illegal when the home owner hasn't give me power of attorney they are just signing a contract that I can find a buyer for them. @Wayne Brooks  take my test in January. 

 Not sure I understand your question above but I felt I was pretty clear. In many states, if you do not have a license, you are not allowed to bring a buyer and seller together where you negotiated price and terms, marketed the property to prospective buyers and do so for a fee without a real estate license. It has nothing to do with a power of attorney and nothing to do with a realtor involved or not unless the realtor represents you and markets the property on your behalf with you being the new owner of the property. Agents can’t legally pay an unlicensed person any fees for the work described herein or also risk losing their license.

If you intend to wholesale, you need to either close on the property, thereby becoming owner of record on title, then market your property to buyers as owner and resell. That is perfectly legal. There are other ways to perform the transaction legally as well and none of them include silly contingencies like “subject to approval from partners”.

See this reply in the discussion

7 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Professional · West Palm Beach, FL · Member since 2012 · 23k+ posts · 13k+ votes
    6y

    Why collect an illegal 1% fee when you can do the Same exact thing, with built in protections and collect 3%.....just get your license.

  • Will BarnardPro Member
    Moderator
    Developer · Santa Clarita, CA · Member since 2008 · 15k+ posts · 10k+ votes
    6y

    How do you expect to wholesale a deal given to you by an agent with a list of "investors" who either ghost you (they must not be real buyers then) or you are worried about them circumventing you.

    Second, receiving a fee for locating a buyer, negotiating price and terms, and not having a real estate license is illegal in most states. There are many ways to wholesale legally and from your post, it does not sound like that is one of them.

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Sacramento, CA · Member since 2016 · 807 posts · 815 votes
    6y

    This is not the legal way to wholesale. If this is your business model, then you need to get licensed. 

  • Member since 2019 · 5 posts · 0 votes
    6y

    @Will Barnard


    If me locating a buyer is Illegal for a Realtor through my company is illegal. How is me locating a bu

  • Member since 2019 · 5 posts · 0 votes
    6y

    @Will Barnard 

    If me locating a buyer is Illegal for a Realtor through my company is illegal. How is me locating a buyer for a homeowner Illegal when the home owner hasn't give me power of attorney they are just signing a contract that I can find a buyer for them. @Wayne Brooks  take my test in January. 

  • Member since 2019 · 5 posts · 0 votes
    6y

    These properties are not listed under mls at all they are off market deals

  • Will BarnardPro Member
    Moderator
    Developer · Santa Clarita, CA · Member since 2008 · 15k+ posts · 10k+ votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Aaden Monroe:

    @Will Barnard 

    If me locating a buyer is Illegal for a Realtor through my company is illegal. How is me locating a buyer for a homeowner Illegal when the home owner hasn't give me power of attorney they are just signing a contract that I can find a buyer for them. @Wayne Brooks  take my test in January. 

     Not sure I understand your question above but I felt I was pretty clear. In many states, if you do not have a license, you are not allowed to bring a buyer and seller together where you negotiated price and terms, marketed the property to prospective buyers and do so for a fee without a real estate license. It has nothing to do with a power of attorney and nothing to do with a realtor involved or not unless the realtor represents you and markets the property on your behalf with you being the new owner of the property. Agents can’t legally pay an unlicensed person any fees for the work described herein or also risk losing their license.

    If you intend to wholesale, you need to either close on the property, thereby becoming owner of record on title, then market your property to buyers as owner and resell. That is perfectly legal. There are other ways to perform the transaction legally as well and none of them include silly contingencies like “subject to approval from partners”.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.