6 Insurance Policies for 3 multifamily properties?

6 Insurance Policies for 3 multifamily properties?

Investor · CA · Member since 2021 · 4 posts · 2 votes

Hi,  I have 3 multifamily properties in California (2 duplexes and a triplex) and because all the them have buildings that don't share walls, my insurance company writes 2 policies for the separate buildings.  If there is also a free-standing garage, that gets included with one of the policies.  So, for 3 properties, I'm paying 6 insurance policies.  Does that seem right?  Most of the units are under well under 1,000 sq ft.  I feel like I'm paying a LOT for insurance.

Thank you!

1Reply
13 views

Most Popular Reply

Dylan VargasPro Member
Rental Property Investor · Chico, CA · Member since 2016 · 625 posts · 336 votes
3y

@Heidi Schmid Welcome. I have a 5 plex that is 2 separate buildings on the property not separated by much. At any rate I pay a policy for each building. Good luck and keep us posted.

See this reply in the discussion

8 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Insurance Agent · Woodland Hills, CA · Member since 2018 · 31 posts · 9 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Heidi Schmid:

    Hi,  I have 3 multifamily properties in California (2 duplexes and a triplex) and because all the them have buildings that don't share walls, my insurance company writes 2 policies for the separate buildings.  If there is also a free-standing garage, that gets included with one of the policies.  So, for 3 properties, I'm paying 6 insurance policies.  Does that seem right?  Most of the units are under well under 1,000 sq ft.  I feel like I'm paying a LOT for insurance.

    Thank you!


     Hey Heidi, it doesn't seem right at all. I might be able to help, I sent you a PM just now.

  • Dylan VargasPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Chico, CA · Member since 2016 · 625 posts · 336 votes
    3y

    @Heidi Schmid Welcome. I have a 5 plex that is 2 separate buildings on the property not separated by much. At any rate I pay a policy for each building. Good luck and keep us posted.

  • Insurance Agent · Woodland Hills, CA · Member since 2018 · 31 posts · 9 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Dylan Vargas:

    @Heidi Schmid Welcome. I have a 5 plex that is 2 separate buildings on the property not separated by much. At any rate I pay a policy for each building. Good luck and keep us posted.


     Your case would be acceptable as it's two inhabited dwellings on one parcel. For her it wouldn't make sense. A good example of that is her having separate policies for uninhabited structures like the garage(unless it is being lived in?) As that would fall under coverage B (other structures).

  • Investor · CA · Member since 2021 · 4 posts · 2 votes
    3y

    My apologies for any confusion...the garage doesn't have its own policy.  The garage is included with one of the inhabited structures, but the 2 separate inhabited structures have separate policies.  Thank you!  

  • Insurance Agent · Woodland Hills, CA · Member since 2018 · 31 posts · 9 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Heidi Schmid:

    My apologies for any confusion...the garage doesn't have its own policy.  The garage is included with one of the inhabited structures, but the 2 separate inhabited structures have separate policies.  Thank you!  


     Ahh, if it's separate inhabited buildings then yes it would make sense. Some carriers separate them out, some put them under a blanket policy. If you'd like, I can take a look at those policies and see exactly where you're at coverage and price wise. I think I sent you a private message earlier with my info if you had any questions.

  • Dan H.Pro Member
    Investor · Poway, CA · Member since 2015 · 7k+ posts · 8k+ votes
    3y

    My properties are insured by USAA and State Farm and both of those insurers do what you have indicated.  In addition, I have a property with 2 units that are attahed by a breezeway and it is two policies which I thought seemed to be a mistake but apparently if they do not share a wall, they are 2 units (even though they are attached).

    It is crazy that I can have 4 units attached on one policy, but 2 units that are not attached requires 2 policies.

    Separate policies add up to more cost than if they could be insured under a single policy.

    Good luck

  • Investor · CA · Member since 2021 · 4 posts · 2 votes
    3y

    Thank you everyone for your replies.  I guess this is the norm then.  Thanks again!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.