Lawyer negotiated 40% down of claim

Lawyer negotiated 40% down of claim

Member since 2023 · 24 posts · 12 votes

Hi BP family,

This is my first time dealing with this issue and it was a good lesson to learn how important to buy house insurance. 

Issue:

Last October 2023, a pipe under the floor leaked from my upper condo unit to the downstairs unit causing damage to the neighbor's kitchen.

My condo was paid off, so little did I know, I didn't buy an insurance policy at that time (failed). So I don't have an insurance company to fight for. My neighbor's insurance company claimed $27,500 for my negligence. 

I paid a lawyer $6500 to negotiate with the neighbor's insurance company. After a year, my lawyer negotiated a settlement offer for $17,000 which is 40% lower than the original price. 

Should I keep negotiating it or this is a good deal?  

Thank you all in advance for sharing your opinions :)

Elsa

1Reply
34 views

Most Popular Reply

Real Estate Consultant · Cleveland · Member since 2020 · 6k+ posts · 3k+ votes
2y

how the heck was there 27uk in damage? Impossible, Also lesson learned, you need a PM co, ASAP 

See this reply in the discussion

5 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Consultant · Cleveland · Member since 2020 · 6k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    2y

    how the heck was there 27uk in damage? Impossible, Also lesson learned, you need a PM co, ASAP 

  • New to Real Estate · La Crosse, WI · Member since 2024 · 15 posts · 12 votes
    2y

    How was the $27,500 determined? I would ask around and get quotes on how much (cost-wise) damage was done. What state are you in?

  • Member since 2023 · 24 posts · 12 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Mae Galang:

    How was the $27,500 determined? I would ask around and get quotes on how much (cost-wise) damage was done. What state are you in?


     The insurance company counted all of the labors, such as moving stuff in, moving this out, or prep time.

  • Member since 2023 · 24 posts · 12 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Mae Galang:

    How was the $27,500 determined? I would ask around and get quotes on how much (cost-wise) damage was done. What state are you in?


     I live in CA. I should hired my instructor to fix it but not go for insurance (since I didn't have insurance at that time). 

  • Adam BartomeoBusiness Member
    Real Estate Broker · Cape Coral, FL · Member since 2015 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    2y

    $17,000 + $6,500 = $23,500  minus $27,000 = $3,500. Seems like a crappy return to me. I would get it down much further.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.