Investor in Grand Rapids MI that needs Insurance recommendation

Investor in Grand Rapids MI that needs Insurance recommendation

Investor · Wake Forest, NC · Member since 2016 · 26 posts · 2 votes

Hi BP family,

I have a single-family income property in Grand Rapids MI.  I'm looking for a insurance company focused on income properties.  

Thanks in advanced

JG

0Reply
23 views

Most Popular Reply

Lansing, MI · Member since 2015 · 301 posts · 149 votes
9y

@Jorge J Gonzalez - most insurance companies will insure rental properties. Get a hold of Compass Insurance in GR. They do good work!

See this reply in the discussion

11 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Lansing, MI · Member since 2015 · 301 posts · 149 votes
    9y

    @Jorge J Gonzalez - most insurance companies will insure rental properties. Get a hold of Compass Insurance in GR. They do good work!

  • Investor · Wake Forest, NC · Member since 2016 · 26 posts · 2 votes
    9y

    Thank You @Tim Puffer, I tried looking online but the reviews weren't so good.  I will contact Compass Insurance.

  • Insurance Agent · Norwalk, CT · Member since 2016 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    9y

    Jorge,

    If you are an investor with multiple properties I suggest you look for an independent Insurance Agent that represents multiple properties.  I've found in our area that the same company that is competitive in one area/town is not in one a short distance away.  Also, different companies can be competitive on 1 families or two families but not 3 or 4 family.  Over 4 families you need to look for an agent that works with multiple companies that insure Apartments.

    Two companies that do a lot of Dwelling/Fire Policies for 1-4 family rentals are:

       American Modern Home

      Foremost Insurance

    They may or may not be competitive in your area but looking up their agents in your area may lead you to some agents who have multiple companies and know the residential market.

    Another company that you may want to seek agents for is PersonalUmbrella.com. They do Umbrella policies and can handle certian LLC's and up to 40 units total. In case your company can not cover over all the rental properties you may want to compare them

  • Investor · Wake Forest, NC · Member since 2016 · 26 posts · 2 votes
    9y

    @John Mocker You're the second person to recommend Foremost Insurance.  I'm getting quotes from your suggestions, big thanks to you as well.   

  • Developer · Golden, CO · Member since 2014 · 50 posts · 24 votes
    9y

    I am an out of state investor as well and had good luck with Ron Wanamaker

    Rivertown Insuance Agency

    They won't let me place his email or phone number. PM and I can get that to you. 

    He was able to get me a higher actual cash value policy than other companies. He actually went out to the property the same day I called.

    I was unable to get a replacement value policy due to the age of the property. BTW it was through Foremost as well.

  • Investor · Wake Forest, NC · Member since 2016 · 26 posts · 2 votes
    9y

    @JS Berkenkamp please send me the contact info via a message via BP.  

  • Investor · Grand Rapids, MI · Member since 2014 · 47 posts · 20 votes
    9y

    Hey Jorge. I too use Foremost. They offered me competitive rates and can insure multiple properties. Good luck.

  • Lansing, MI · Member since 2015 · 301 posts · 149 votes
    9y

    Hey guys - American Modern and Foremost are two of the main companies that specialize in rental property insurance. Foremost's headquarters is actually near Grand Rapids. That being said there are other companies that will insure rental properties. You should be able to get Replacement Cost and not just ACV on most of your properties if you want. Be certain that you know the difference between the two at least.

    I'm always here for specific questions if anyone has one!

  • Investor · Wake Forest, NC · Member since 2016 · 26 posts · 2 votes
    9y

    @Tim Puffer  What is ACV?  I can imagine what replacement cost is for insurance.  

  • Grand Rapids, MI · Member since 2015 · 113 posts · 29 votes
    9y

    I also used Foremost but I recently got a private money loan through Benchmark Capitol in Grand Rapids and they also offer insurance which ended up being MUCH cheaper than Foremost so I switched.  Look them up.  

  • Insurance Agent · Norwalk, CT · Member since 2016 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    9y

    Jorge,

    Actual Cash Value (ACV) and Replacement Cost (RC) are the primary ways Insurance Policies value the coverage on Buildings.   RC is the cost to rebuild with the same kind & quality (subject to exclusions, policy terms, and the Limit).  The best way to calculate it is to get a builder(s) to estimate the rebuilding costs.  The Insurance companies have estimating programs they use to determine what they consider to the be the RC.  If you are relying on just the companies estimate, see if the policy allows for "Guaranteed Replacment Cost" or a 125% or 150% option incase the RC is more than the policy limit.

    ACV is the Replacement Cost minus the Depreciation.  An estimate of the that value is the selling price of the property minus the value of the land.  That is not exact and will change as you make improvements.  Sometimes the Bank Appraisal or Tax Assessors card with also have estimates for the ACV.

    If you are purchasing an older home or one that is not conforming to the current zoning laws (ie. too close to the road or neighbors, not enough parking, etc..) you should check with the town's zoning dept to see if you will have to rebuild differently if it is a partial loss and if it is a total loss.   If you will need to build differently, you should purchase Building Ordinance and Law coverage.  That allows you to purchase the additional limits needed to rebuild to the higher standard.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.