USLI Insurance? Bad reviews online...

USLI Insurance? Bad reviews online...

Investor · Bronx, NY · Member since 2016 · 78 posts · 40 votes

I have been shopping for an umbrella policy, and USLI has come up with more than one broker.  They will do up to a million for around $500, which seems standard.  They are the only insurer that did not make me raise my auto insurance.  

It seems like a few people on BP have mentioned being insured by USLI.  When I look online, they have a C- review on BBB and the internet is full of complaints regarding actually filing a claim or getting refunded after canceling service.


Does anyone here use USLI?  Has anyone filed a claim?  Is it better to just go with one of the big boys (Liberty Mutual, Allstate, etc.)?

0Reply
120 views

2 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Insurance Agent · Norwalk, CT · Member since 2016 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    6y
    Michael, We use USLI for many lines of business (Umbrella, Liability, Professional, Property, etc.) I am personally not aware of any issues. There are other markets that may be options. It depends on the underlying policies (Home, Auto, Boat, Rented dwellings, etc or Business owners, Workers Comp., etc) as to whether this is a commercial or personal Umbrella you should be looking at. If this is a personal umbrella, the first place I generally check is the current Homeowners and Auto insurer to see if they can do it. Some companies will not do an umbrella unless they have all the underlying policies other carriers will cover over another companies home or auto policy. There are Stand Alone markets such as USLI that do not need any of the underlying policies. Other markets we use for the stand alone situation are PersonalUmbrella.com, RLI Insurance. PM me if you need info on the other two stand alone markets.
  • Member since 2020 · 2 posts · 2 votes
    6y

    Negative review for this company! Don't waste your money. Look for a more reputable one who will stand by you! USLI was my underlying insurance company as well as my Umbrella policy insurer. I've been in the RE business for over 30 years averaging 40 properties in inventory with not claims. USLI went running for the hills the first time I submitted an EZ refutable claim. They had a lawyer send me a 3 page document justifying why my claim was not covered and excluded. They indicated "exceptions" on the policy for a bogus claim that they didn't even try to review or support me in. I had to hire my own attorney to address the issue which, as I said, easily defended. Look elsewhere as they will leave you twisting in the wind and give you no assistance when you truly need it!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.