Currently Reviewing Insurance Policies - Umbrella Policy?

Currently Reviewing Insurance Policies - Umbrella Policy?

Member since 2018 · 17 posts · 4 votes

I am reviewing all my insurance policies. I have 5 multi families (2-4 units each). What is everyones thoughts on umbrella coverage? I don't want to cheap out on coverage obviously, but don't want to pay an astronomical premium for unnecessary coverage.  I appreciate everyone's input!

2Reply
23 views

12 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Jason BottPro Member
    Insurance Agent · Nationwide · Member since 2014 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    6y

    @Shannon Curtis I have an article that is a self assessment of what Umbrella limit you should have.  It's a little large to post here.  I'll DM you info on it.

  • Insurance Broker · Kansas City, MO · Member since 2017 · 370 posts · 127 votes
    6y

    @Shannon Curtis there are certainly different avenues to address the amount of coverage you should carry.  With a portfolio of your size, it seems to makes sense to have extra coverage provided by an umbrella.  

    No situation is the same, however umbrella policies are a fairly inexpensive policy for the amount of coverage you receive in return.

    For most people the $1 million - $5 million umbrella option makes sense.  

  • Rental Property Investor · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2020 · 2 posts · 0 votes
    6y

    @Jason Bott I'd also be interested in reading your article about umbrella policies. I am looking into umbrella policies as well for a rental and would love to use the self assessment. Where can I find your article on BP? Thanks!

  • Jason BottPro Member
    Insurance Agent · Nationwide · Member since 2014 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    6y

    @Evelyn Madden we can connect and I'll get it over to you.

  • Rental Property Investor · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2020 · 2 posts · 0 votes
    6y

    Thanks @Jason Bott!

  • Member since 2019 · 3 posts · 0 votes
    6y

    @Jason Bott can you please DM the link to the article as well? Thank you

  • Property Manager · TX · Member since 2019 · 327 posts · 69 votes
    6y

    @Jason Bott please DM  me a link to that article too.  Thanks!

  • Investor · Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2016 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    6y

    Umbrella policies are an inexpensive protection for liability that's unlikely... but might keep you up at night.  With a few properties, I'd probably go with $2-3M, but it also depends on your personal assets that you're protecting.

  • Jason BottPro Member
    Insurance Agent · Nationwide · Member since 2014 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    6y

    @Courtney Duong @Adam Cox

    I'll send over now.

  • Property Manager · TX · Member since 2019 · 327 posts · 69 votes
    6y

    @Jason Bott thanks a lot.  Appreciate it.

  • Investor · Pullman, WA · Member since 2013 · 87 posts · 16 votes
    6y

    @Jason Bott

    Could I have a link to the article on umbrella's also.  Thanks.

  • Jason BottPro Member
    Insurance Agent · Nationwide · Member since 2014 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    6y

    Sure @John Chapman

    I’ll DM you

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.