Seeking Advice: Navigating Corporate Approval for First ATM Placement

Seeking Advice: Navigating Corporate Approval for First ATM Placement

Member since 2025 · 2 posts · 2 votes

Hello BiggerPockets Community, 

I'm a new entrepreneur in Michigan in the process of launching my first ATM business. I've done my due diligence: my LLC is filed, I have quotes from distributors (planning to purchase a Hyosung Force), and I've identified a fantastic first location, a high-traffic PetSmart store. Here's my challenge, and where I would be incredibly grateful for your collective wisdom: The store manager is fully on board and supportive. However, a store manager's "yes" isn't enough. I've already submitted a formal application through their SAP Ariba vendor portal, but as expected, it's been quiet. My question for you is: What are the most effective strategies for a small, independent operator to professionally follow up and navigate the corporate approval process with a major retail chain like PetSmart? Have any of you had success getting a "yes" from a corporate real estate or facilities department? Is the next step to try and identify the District Manager? Are there specific proposal points that corporate decision-makers care most about? I'm eager to learn from your experience. Thank you in advance for any advice you can share!

  • Kenneth
1Reply
84 views

5 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Lender · Chicago, IL · Member since 2025 · 204 posts · 101 votes
    8mo

    This is similar to closing deals in an LLC with large institutions, where local support helps but corporate approval drives the final decision. For a small, independent operator, the most effective strategy is shifting the conversation from the store level to corporate risk and compliance. Identify the regional or district real estate or facilities contact tied to that location and keep follow ups professional and documented rather than frequent check ins.

    Corporate teams want a clean, concise proposal that clearly addresses insurance, liability, maintenance responsibility, cash handling, and removal terms. Short written follow ups referencing your completed application and showing you can plug into their system with minimal risk are what move approvals forward.

    • Member since 2025 · 2 posts · 2 votes
      8mo

      Ebonie,
      Thank you so much for taking the time to reply. This is incredibly helpful and provides a clear, professional framework.

      Your advice confirms my next step: working with the store manager to identify that specific district/regional contact. It's also great to have a list of the key points (insurance, liability, maintenance, etc.) that I need to have prepared for that conversation.

      This is exactly the kind of strategic guidance I was hoping to get from this community. I really appreciate you sharing your expertise!

      • Kenneth Reel
  • Investor · Southern CA · Member since 2013 · 16 posts · 12 votes
    8mo

    Corporations have an affinity for standardization and risk mitigation.

    Getting approval for one location can be difficult but not impossible. You will generally need a corporate sponsor to sign off on your request. And that person is generally higher than a BM (Branch Manager), especially to install a customer-facing appliance like an ATM.

    The corporate machine moves at its own speed. And every company has its own process, but it’s always best to align your offering with some corporate actually cares about.

    That said, I do have one suggestion while waiting for approval: Broaden your target locations.

    Start with smaller, independent institutions such as laundromats, nail salons, convenience stores, & barbershops. These locations are cash-heavy and have patrons in need of quick cash solutions. Plus the owner is usually onsite to provide immediate approval or feedback. 

    PetSmart and other large institutions usually accept all forms of payment; so their customers won’t have the same cash need.

    Hope this helps!

  • Lender · Chicago, IL · Member since 2025 · 204 posts · 101 votes
    8mo

    Anytime!

  • Stuart UdisPro Member
    Attorney · Philadelphia · Member since 2018 · 2k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    8mo

    How long before ATM's become obsolete?

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.