Anyone have a good experience with a Cleveland Property Manager?

Anyone have a good experience with a Cleveland Property Manager?

Member since 2019 · 3 posts · 7 votes

I’m an investor based in CO (I have 15+ units in Colorado and New York) and have had a nightmare so far finding a good manager for my 2 unit in Cleveland.  The first management company did nothing to screen tenants which lead to 4 evictions in a row.  The second did a good job rehabbing my units but took 8 months to find a tenant (I just moved on as it was clear he didn’t know what he was doing). The latest (a large management company) just quoted me $5460 to paint an 800 sw ft unit, $770 for an apartment that was just done and is great shape, $2600 on cleaning and $2,160 to replace a functioning water heater that’s 5 years old.  Needless to say, I’m ending that relationship.  I just want a fair partner I can grow my portfolio with.  I care about Cleveland and always treat my tenants and partners well.  

6Reply
356 views

Most Popular Reply

Arman AhmedPro Member
Real Estate Agent · Columbus Cleveland Dayton, OH · Member since 2024 · 2k+ posts · 921 votes
1y

@Nathan Crandall

Nathan, I hear you — Cleveland property management can be hit or miss. I work with a few solid PMs in the area who are fair on pricing and actually care about long-term relationships. If you’d like, I can connect you with the ones I trust so you don’t have to deal with those headaches again.

See this reply in the discussion

12 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Samuel DioufBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Columbus & Cleveland, OH · Member since 2023 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    1y

    Hey Nathan, I'm sorry to hear you're having such a difficult time finding PMs in Cleveland. Building a team in this market is one of the biggest challenges OOS investors face. 

    I have a handful of PMs in Cleveland that my clients and I have had good experiences with. 
    I'd be glad to share! 

  • Min ZhangBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Member since 2022 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    1y

    Nathan, I’ve seen how tough it can be cycling through different managers. It’s also a challenge how wide the range can be on bids too, especially when you know the work doesn’t justify the numbers. I’ve been in a similar spot and what helped me was really narrowing down on managers who not only screen tenants properly but also run maintenance like they would on their own properties.

    I know a couple PMs in the area who’ve been fair and consistent,happy to share if that would help!

  • Arman AhmedPro Member
    Real Estate Agent · Columbus Cleveland Dayton, OH · Member since 2024 · 2k+ posts · 921 votes
    1y

    @Nathan Crandall

    Nathan, I hear you — Cleveland property management can be hit or miss. I work with a few solid PMs in the area who are fair on pricing and actually care about long-term relationships. If you’d like, I can connect you with the ones I trust so you don’t have to deal with those headaches again.

  • Real Estate Agent · Member since 2023 · 831 posts · 577 votes
    1y

    Hey Nathan that's rough... I feel you there. I can refer you to some really solid property managers.

  • Nathan FisherBusiness Member
    Property Manager · Cleveland, OH · Member since 2020 · 306 posts · 261 votes
    1y

    As a Cleveland Property manager, I can say, it's the toughest role in the RE industry. We're pulled in 5 directions at all times, balancing the needs, of the client, residents, contractors, the local Govt, and our own profit needs. Cleveland proper is particularly nuanced. 

    Every PM has strong and weak areas. Ultimately, you need to find a property manager that focuses on what is most important to you. Communication? Focus on that. Tenant placement? Find someone who's great at that. 

  • Developer · Cleveland / Akron, OH · Member since 2008 · 922 posts · 399 votes
    1y

    @Nathan Crandall Those prices are quite excessive. Assuming that the property itself and the area that it is in aren't major red flags, that vacancy is excessive as well. 

    I agree with the other Nathan, it is a thankless job, but that doesn't give the terrible PMs out there a pass. There is rampant neglect and mismanagement in the industry, and it makes it difficult to stay on top of the situation remotely, as the investor has approached the situation with the ideal of being more "passive". 

  • Member since 2021 · 2 posts · 0 votes
    2mo

    @Nathan Crandall  Hi!  Can I ask who you went with and if you are happy?  I currently have a PM in Cleveland that does not communicate or follow through so I am looking to leave before my next unit gets rented.

    • Member since 2019 · 3 posts · 7 votes
      2mo
      Quote from @Mylene Santos:

      @Nathan Crandall  Hi!  Can I ask who you went with and if you are happy?  I currently have a PM in Cleveland that does not communicate or follow through so I am looking to leave before my next unit gets rented.

      Hi Mylene.  

      I fired them all.  PMs anre all awful out there.  I self manage from Colorado.  It’s been great and is the only way to go.  I found great tenants, they pay on time and even care for the lawn/ snow so there’s no extra charge there.  I use Avail to set leases, manage payments etc.  It’s the only way to go.  Best of luck!  
    • Nathan FisherBusiness Member
      Property Manager · Cleveland, OH · Member since 2020 · 306 posts · 261 votes
      2mo
      Quote from @Nathan Crandall:
      Quote from @Mylene Santos:

      @Nathan Crandall  Hi!  Can I ask who you went with and if you are happy?  I currently have a PM in Cleveland that does not communicate or follow through so I am looking to leave before my next unit gets rented.

      Hi Mylene.  

      I fired them all.  PMs anre all awful out there.  I self manage from Colorado.  It’s been great and is the only way to go.  I found great tenants, they pay on time and even care for the lawn/ snow so there’s no extra charge there.  I use Avail to set leases, manage payments etc.  It’s the only way to go.  Best of luck!  

       can't say I blame you. how are you handling the local agent in charge? 

    • Member since 2021 · 2 posts · 0 votes
      2mo
      Quote from @Nathan Crandall:
      Quote from @Mylene Santos:

      @Nathan Crandall  Hi!  Can I ask who you went with and if you are happy?  I currently have a PM in Cleveland that does not communicate or follow through so I am looking to leave before my next unit gets rented.

      Hi Mylene.  

      I fired them all.  PMs anre all awful out there.  I self manage from Colorado.  It’s been great and is the only way to go.  I found great tenants, they pay on time and even care for the lawn/ snow so there’s no extra charge there.  I use Avail to set leases, manage payments etc.  It’s the only way to go.  Best of luck!  

       I wish I could but I don't think I am in that position yet.  They have definitely lost business from me though.  I bought another house earlier this year but in Memphis this time.  If they had been good, I would have purchased through them again.  Hard to find people that take pride in their work nowadays.  Good luck to you!

  • Member since 2019 · 3 posts · 7 votes
    2mo

    I have a family member who lives in Akron.  That checked that box with Cleveland 

  • Investor · Emeryville, CA · Member since 2015 · 28 posts · 11 votes
    2mo

    Nathan How did you get your units rented out without living there? 

    My property manager has gone MIA on me and I'm getting very nervous

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.