I purchased a property in a class C area about 8 months ago. It has been completely redone with new roof, HVAC, flooring, appliances, etc. Original plan was to live in it for a year and then move on but, due to personal reasons, needed to sell sooner. House is in the Atlanta area and has not had any offers in 2 months, even with an $8000 price drop. If I rent it out, I would only get enough to cover the mortgage, so it won't cash flow (per comps in the area). Other option is sell at a loss to a cash buyer and cut my losses.
Not sure what the reasons are (that may matter?) but I would rather take the hit now and move on, rather than getting hit every single month, dragging on and on....that would just be more stress IMHO.
Not sure what the reasons are (that may matter?) but I would rather take the hit now and move on, rather than getting hit every single month, dragging on and on....that would just be more stress IMHO.
@Charlene W. With today's slower resale market, you may want to consider listing the property for sale and for rent at the same time, and even offering a rent to own option to expand your pool of potential buyers. You mentioned it hasn't received any offers in two months but how many showings have you had and what feedback have you received? Is it priced competitively based on current market conditions and is your agent using professional photos? If you share the listing link, I will be happy to offer my professional opinion.
@Janice Carter Thanks for the response. We've had 5 showings with good feedback (loved the upgrades, space, finishes, etc.). The agent did get professional photos, but I personally did not like the fact that they used AI to " upgrade them". I would be happy to share the listing link but prefer to do it privately.
I purchased a property in a class C area about 8 months ago. It has been completely redone with new roof, HVAC, flooring, appliances, etc. Original plan was to live in it for a year and then move on but, due to personal reasons, needed to sell sooner. House is in the Atlanta area and has not had any offers in 2 months, even with an $8000 price drop. If I rent it out, I would only get enough to cover the mortgage, so it won't cash flow (per comps in the area). Other option is sell at a loss to a cash buyer and cut my losses.
Any other recommendations?
@Charlene W. That's a tough spot, but I'd avoid making the decision based only on today's market. I'd compare the total cost of holding the property for another year against the realized loss from selling today, while also considering your long-term goals and local market outlook. Sometimes the least painful option today isn't the best long-term financial decision.
Which way do you want to potentially "bleed to death"?
1) Drop the price 5% every 2 weeks - May have to bring cash to closing
2) Rent out - Any nonpayment or expenses will come out of pocket - Also, the property will never look as good as it does today, once a tenant moves in.
Just rent it out. A small year 1 cashflow loss may still be a profitable total return when factor in appreciation and mortgage paydown. Even if area not growing right now, 5 years out inflation should of kicked in making rents higher and made that mortgage feel smaller in real dollars.
I'm in the take your lumps now and sell camp especially since it is in a class C neighborhood. If you aren't familiar with Sunk Cost Fallacy look it up. Unfortunately I didn't heed it with a sizeable stock purchase and learned a costly lesson.
I purchased a property in a class C area about 8 months ago. It has been completely redone with new roof, HVAC, flooring, appliances, etc. Original plan was to live in it for a year and then move on but, due to personal reasons, needed to sell sooner. House is in the Atlanta area and has not had any offers in 2 months, even with an $8000 price drop. If I rent it out, I would only get enough to cover the mortgage, so it won't cash flow (per comps in the area). Other option is sell at a loss to a cash buyer and cut my losses.
Any other recommendations?
Great question, and sorry you're dealing with this. Before taking a loss to a cash buyer, I'd look at a few other options. First, make sure the issue is actually the price and not the presentation. If you've had plenty of showings but no offers, the market is probably telling you it's still priced too high. If showings are slow, it could be your listing photos, marketing, or even buyer financing in that area. I'd also run the numbers on renting it for a year or two. Breaking even isn't ideal, but it's often better than locking in a large loss today, especially if you're building equity through principal paydown and you think the market has room to recover. Another option is offering seller concessions or a rate buydown instead of another price cut, since that can attract more financed buyers without dropping your net as much. I wouldn't jump to a cash buyer unless you've compared what that immediate loss would be versus the cost of holding it for another 12-24 months. Sometimes the cheapest option is simply giving the property more time if you can comfortably afford it. Happy to connect and answer any questions you have!
Your $8000 price drop equals 40 months of neg $200 cash flow. Both rents and home values go up over time, at least with the rate of inflation. Year one break even is the new normal, so selling at a loss is NOT an obvious choice. But if you have zero experience renting, it may be the better one.
Two additional options: furnished mid-term rental, yields more rent. Lease with option to purchase, also yields more money and you can set a purchase price that is slightly higher than todays fair market value.
@Marcus Auerbach Thanks. I have no experience renting, so this is a major concern for me. I thought about furnished mid-term rentals, but decided against it because it would require more money out-of-pocket to furnish the house, I figured the amount that I would be able to charge per room would not cover the mortgage due to the neighborhood.
@Charlene W. a C class area rent to own might be a good idea but you have to pick the brain of people who have done it. I would think people with that mindset would want to take better care of the property. Keep in mind it is still renting. A regular tenant in this kind of area I would be especially picky because any tenant is going to be wear and tear, it won't be new anymore. Also how much money can you afford if you have to bring money to the closing table. Do that math to see how much you can drop it to sell. If you have very little equity that could be a factor. Good luck with the move and gaurdianship.
I purchased a property in a class C area about 8 months ago. It has been completely redone with new roof, HVAC, flooring, appliances, etc. Original plan was to live in it for a year and then move on but, due to personal reasons, needed to sell sooner. House is in the Atlanta area and has not had any offers in 2 months, even with an $8000 price drop. If I rent it out, I would only get enough to cover the mortgage, so it won't cash flow (per comps in the area). Other option is sell at a loss to a cash buyer and cut my losses.
Any other recommendations?
Sell it on lease option at a projected price for the term of the option agreement with 10% down. So, if it's for a 3 year term, project what it would be worth in three years at the historical inflation rate. You don't need real estate agents so you save 6% doing that.
I agree with Ken, do the lease option. But this is a strategy in and of itself so you’ll need to get proper documents for Georgia and you’ll need to vet your tenant buyer right. But this is an option that can turn a losing property into a winning property.
AI will tell you everything you need to know about rent to own. You are collecting a non-refundable deposit, maybe 5k or 10k up front, then monthly rent. You will need to sign two separate contracts: a normal lease and an option to purchase. Both are standard forms in your State.
The Option allows the tenant to execute and buy within a year and the option money will be credited towards the purchase price. You are no longer allowed to credit the rent back to them, only the security deposit. If they don't execute the option to purchase it expires and you keep the option money. Then you are left with the lease, if you choose so. 2/3s of tenants will not execute the option, but you can improve the odds if you coach them along to get their credit score ready.
AI will tell you everything you need to know about rent to own. You are collecting a non-refundable deposit, maybe 5k or 10k up front, then monthly rent. You will need to sign two separate contracts: a normal lease and an option to purchase. Both are standard forms in your State.
The Option allows the tenant to execute and buy within a year and the option money will be credited towards the purchase price. You are no longer allowed to credit the rent back to them, only the security deposit. If they don't execute the option to purchase it expires and you keep the option money. Then you are left with the lease, if you choose so. 2/3s of tenants will not execute the option, but you can improve the odds if you coach them along to get their credit score ready.
Per our attorneys there should be 3 SEPARATE documents:
Have you considered Seller financing? You can possibly sell to someone who might not qualify for a regular mortgage. You might be able to become the bank and receive mortgage payments above your current mortgage. Making a win win situation for everyone.