Most hard money comparisons focus on interest rate, points, LTC, and ARV.
But a cheaper loan can become expensive fast if every draw requires a slow inspection, reimbursement takes a week, or unused funds can’t be moved between budget categories.
Would you accept slightly worse pricing for:
For investors who’ve used multiple lenders, which draw-process term matters most after closing?
Great question! I've been running draws on new construction and rehab projects since 1996, so I'll answer from the borrower side of the table.
Draw speed. By a wide margin! The cost difference never moves the needle enough for me. Speed always wins.
Here's the math nobody runs when they compare lenders. Say the rate difference is 1%. On a $200,000 loan over an 8 month project, that's about $1,300. Now say the slower lender takes 10 extra days per draw and you pull 4 draws. That's 40 days of subs waiting on money, trades walking to other jobs, and your schedule sliding. A 40 day slip on a flip carrying $3,500 a month in interest, taxes, insurance, and utilities costs you $4,600. And that's before you count what a delayed listing does to your exit if the market's cooling.
So yes, I'd take worse pricing for faster draws. Here's how I'd rank your list:
One more thing. Ask the lender their average days from draw request to funds wired, and get it in writing or from a reference. Every lender says they're fast. The wire date doesn't lie.
They all matter.
Great question! I've been running draws on new construction and rehab projects since 1996, so I'll answer from the borrower side of the table.
Draw speed. By a wide margin! The cost difference never moves the needle enough for me. Speed always wins.
Here's the math nobody runs when they compare lenders. Say the rate difference is 1%. On a $200,000 loan over an 8 month project, that's about $1,300. Now say the slower lender takes 10 extra days per draw and you pull 4 draws. That's 40 days of subs waiting on money, trades walking to other jobs, and your schedule sliding. A 40 day slip on a flip carrying $3,500 a month in interest, taxes, insurance, and utilities costs you $4,600. And that's before you count what a delayed listing does to your exit if the market's cooling.
So yes, I'd take worse pricing for faster draws. Here's how I'd rank your list:
One more thing. Ask the lender their average days from draw request to funds wired, and get it in writing or from a reference. Every lender says they're fast. The wire date doesn't lie.
Great point and breakdown Ricky. I totally agree. From personal experience, I will pay a little more for ease of money and transaction all day. The project moves quicker, you have all the administrative hurdles and its just a smoother experience. I've worked with a very large PML whose draw process was horrible. They had better terms all day but the draw process required us to front cash so many times to overcome their shortfalls and unneccessary oversight. However I decided to just go with a guy named elliot, he lends his own money which is slightly more expensive, but draw process is an email and pics and the appraisal is a guy named bill saying its good to go. I'd pay a little more all day for that ease of use.
As a broker, I can say that I've seen more and more clients focusing on Draw Speed this past year, moreso than anything else. I think @Ricky Trinidad laid it out perfectly. I've adjusted my follow up and feedback with clients to learn more about the lender's draw processes. I was very surprised to find a few of my "top" lenders had horrible draw processes. Cost per draw not being the issue, but requiring notarized lien waivers and 5-7 day draw times on every single draw was a surprise.
As a remedy to ensure better client experiences post closing, I've vetted all of my resources and ensure to provide this pertinent info when providing quotes to clients. I can honestly say several have take lower leverage and/or higher cost and rates for those options with faster, smoother draws. I rarely encounter a client who focuses mostly on rates for Hard Money, but when I do, they tend to be new or with little experience.
Cheers!
yes.
cost to borrow is part of the conversation for sure, but that interest rate is spread over 12 months. the longer it takes for your project to complete, the more $ you're going to spend in interest.
An efficient draw process can prevent project delays, saving you money on interest in the long run.
They all matter and the reason why the draw process is drawn out and lengthy many times is because of the amount of fraud that goes on with flippers. We are reviewing a 50 property portfolio right now of defaulted fix and flip loans and in every instance its clear the flipper was attempting to overbill, front end load the agreement and like you mention move /reallocate items. It shoudl not take weeks to update your budget to move $3000 savings from one line itme into a contingency line item and then add it to another.
I have been on both sides as I spent 25+ in construction management and have done 1000+ requisitions and also lend now. The times I have gotten burned on the lending side is by lending things slack slightly.
Ricky's carry math is right and I would not argue with his ranking from the borrower's chair. Let me give you the other side of the table, because understanding why draw processes are slow tells you which parts are actually negotiable.
Three things create the delay and only one of them is a lender being lazy.
Lien risk. Money released for work that was not done, or was done by a sub who has not been paid, turns into a mechanic's lien sitting in front of the lender's position. Inspections exist to confirm the work is actually in the building, and that requirement is not going away. But photo-based verification on smaller draws is a genuine risk-based accommodation, and more lenders will do it than advertise it. Ask.
The funding line behind the loan. Many lenders draw on a warehouse facility with its own advance rules and its own cutoff times. When a lender quotes 48 hours and delivers in six days, that gap is often their lender rather than them. Worth asking whether they fund draws off their own balance sheet, because the answer predicts consistency better than the stated turnaround does.
Staffing. This is the one you can diligence directly. Ask who processes draws and what happens the week that person is on vacation.
Where I would push back gently on the ranking: I would move partial upfront rehab funding above line-item flexibility. It does not just help cash flow, it changes the size of project you can run at all. On reimbursement-only, your own liquidity sets the ceiling on how much work can be in the air at once. A $120,000 scope with $40,000 of working capital becomes three sequential phases, and a six-month job becomes nine. Funding the first phase at closing turns it back into one job. Line-item flexibility is real, but you only get to use it if you were able to start at full speed.
The term nobody asks about and plenty of people regret: what happens to the draw schedule if you go into an extension. Some programs quietly tighten inspection requirements once you are past original maturity, which is exactly the moment you can least afford the delay.
And to Ricky's closing point, which is the best advice in this thread, ask for average days from request to wire on the last five files rather than in general. An average hides the one that took three weeks, and the one that took three weeks is the one that will happen to you.
The draw process is the hidden cost that torpedoes more rehab deals than the rate does.
I've worked with lenders charging 10.5% with fast photo-based draws and same-week reimbursement, and lenders at 9% who take 3 weeks per inspection and claw back unused funds at the end. The 9% loan cost more on a 6-month flip.
The ones worth paying up for: same-day or next-day draws on photos (no third-party inspector required), reimbursement wire within 3-5 business days, and the ability to reallocate budget between line items when your contractor finds something unexpected. That last one matters more than most people think. A rigid budget with no flex turns every scope change into a negotiation with your lender.
The ones that aren't worth much: "dedicated account manager" (often just a title), automated portals that look slick but still bottleneck on a human approval, and promised timelines that exist nowhere in writing.
If you're paying more than 1 point premium for process improvements, get the key terms in writing before you close. What's the maximum days to fund a draw? What's the photo approval threshold? What happens if you finish under budget on framing but over budget on electrical?
The lenders who won't answer those questions specifically usually don't perform on them either.
You’re absolutely right, @Ali KalaeiA slightly cheaper loan can cost more if slow draws delay contractors and extend the holding period. I’d gladly accept modestly worse pricing for a draw process that is fast, predictable, and clearly documented.
For me, reliable funding speed matters most. A lender that approves photo-based draws within a defined timeframe and communicates quickly can keep the project moving. Flexibility between budget line items is a close second because rehab costs rarely match the original estimate perfectly.
I’d compare the full draw process before closing: required documentation, inspection fees, reimbursement timing, change-order rules, minimum draw amounts, and whether interest is charged on committed or funded capital. A few extra points can be easier to absorb than weeks of avoidable delay and carrying costs.
Ryan's list is the right list. From the funding side, the reason those things vary so much is worth knowing when you are shopping.
Photo draws versus third-party inspections is usually a servicing decision rather than a risk one. A lender inspecting every draw is either selling the paper to someone who requires it or got burned once and never revisited the policy. Ask who requires the inspection. If the answer is their investor, the timeline is not negotiable. If the answer is their own policy, it sometimes is.
The reallocation point Ryan makes comes down to whether your budget is underwritten as a total or as a schedule of line items. Ask which one you are signing. A total gives you room when the contractor opens a wall; a schedule turns every scope change into a negotiation, which is exactly what he described.
And the question almost nobody asks: whether any of the rehab money can fund at or near closing instead of pure reimbursement. On a project where the rehab is a large share of the purchase price, that one answer is worth more than the rate and more than draw speed, because it decides whether you pay the first trades out of your own pocket while you wait for anything at all.
For the borrowers in the thread: has anyone actually asked a lender to move money between line items mid-project, and did they do it?
Ryan's example is right and it is worth putting a number on, because the arithmetic is more lopsided than it reads.
Take a $100,000 rehab drawn in four draws on a six-month project with $300,000 outstanding. The spread between 9% and 10.5% is about $375 a month, so roughly $2,250 over the hold. That is the entire cost of the expensive lender.
Now price the lag. Three weeks per draw against three days is eighteen extra days per draw, seventy-two across four. Crews do not stand still for free. They leave and start somebody else's kitchen, so you tend to lose part of that twice. Even if only half of it lands on the schedule, that is thirty-six extra days of interest, taxes and insurance, plus a month of your GC's attention you have to buy back. Carry alone eats the $2,250 and keeps going.
The part that never shows up in a carry calculation is the exit. A project closing in March closes in May. You are not only paying longer to hold it, you are selling into a different rate and a different month of inventory. That risk is not linear, and a lower coupon does not offset it.
So the order I would ask in when comparing: who inspects and how, business days from request to wire, whether unused line items move without a formal modification, and whether any of the rehab is funded up front. Rate is the fifth question.
Nick, quoting the draw terms alongside the pricing is the fix on the broker side. Most borrowers do not know those questions exist until the second draw is late.
One more view, from the borrower side, and it changes the math above: stage the job to the draw schedule rather than the other way round.
A lot of operators plan on three draws and build the scope around them, demo and rough-in, mechanical and drywall, then finish-out, instead of drawing every time an invoice lands. Fewer draws means fewer draw fees and fewer inspections, and it forces the schedule to get written down before the first trade shows up. Setting the timeline is most of the work, and it is the part that usually never gets done.
It also changes which lender term matters most. If you are taking three draws instead of eight, the per-draw fee stops being the deciding number and reallocation gets bigger, because a three-stage plan has to absorb surprises inside a stage rather than between them.
The tradeoff is float. Fewer, larger draws means carrying more of the work between stages, so it suits an operator with reserves and a crew that will wait on him. On a thinner file the frequent-draw schedule with fast turnaround is still the safer structure.
Most hard money comparisons focus on interest rate, points, LTC, and ARV.
But a cheaper loan can become expensive fast if every draw requires a slow inspection, reimbursement takes a week, or unused funds can’t be moved between budget categories.
Would you accept slightly worse pricing for:
For investors who’ve used multiple lenders, which draw-process term matters most after closing?
@Ali Kalaei, one thing I would add from the legal side is that I would want the draw process clearly written into the loan documents, not just explained in an email or on a call. I’ve seen investors focus so much on rate and points that they do not pay enough attention to what actually has to happen before each draw is released.
I would want to know exactly what can delay a draw, what happens if the scope changes, whether the lender can stop funding after a missed deadline, and what changes if the project goes into an extension. A slightly higher rate can be worth it if the process is clear, predictable, and gives the borrower enough room to keep the project moving.
I’d be glad to stay connected, @Ali Kalaei. I always enjoy these conversations because the financing terms and the legal documents really have to work together once the project starts.
Steve asked whether anyone has actually gotten a lender to move money between line items mid-project. Yes. I've done it on both new construction and rehab files since 1996, and it depends almost entirely on one thing: whether the request comes before the overage or after it.
Before, it is a budget revision and a servicer approves it. After, it is a funding shortfall and it goes back to underwriting. Same dollars, different desk, three weeks apart. I send revised line items the week I see the variance, not the week I need the check.
On staging the job to the draw schedule instead of the other way around: that is the right instinct, and there is a ceiling on it that does not show up until you run it. Subs price mobilization. If I stage plumbing rough and plumbing finish into one draw instead of drawing when each is complete, I am either asking the plumber to wait or floating him myself. On a $40,000 mechanical package, floating one trade through one stage is real money out of my operating account, and the second mobilization gets priced in whether the invoice says so or not.
So the tradeoff is not fewer draw fees versus more. It is who carries the trade between stages. Fewer, larger draws means me. Frequent draws with fast turnaround means the lender. At $150 a draw, I will take the lender every time.
The question I would add to the list: ask what the reimbursement window does when an inspection comes back partial. Not failed. Partial. That is where my files have gone sideways, and almost no term sheet addresses it.
Rate is the price of the money. The draw process is the price of the schedule. Only one of them compounds.
Ricky, "before the overage or after it" is the most useful line in this thread. A reallocation asked for early is a servicing question. The same dollars asked for late are a credit question.
The partial inspection is a real gap. Most draw language is written for pass or fail. When the inspector signs off on 70% of a line, three things need an answer: is the 70% released now, does the other 30% wait for the next scheduled draw or get its own re-inspection, and who pays for the second inspection. If the term sheet is silent, the answer is whatever the servicer decides that week.
Have you gotten a lender to put partial-release language in writing before closing, or has it always been settled draw by draw?
Ricky, "before the overage or after it" is the most useful line in this thread. A reallocation asked for early is a servicing question. The same dollars asked for late are a credit question.
The partial inspection is a real gap. Most draw language is written for pass or fail. When the inspector signs off on 70% of a line, three things need an answer: is the 70% released now, does the other 30% wait for the next scheduled draw or get its own re-inspection, and who pays for the second inspection. If the term sheet is silent, the answer is whatever the servicer decides that week.
Have you gotten a lender to put partial-release language in writing before closing, or has it always been settled draw by draw?
Settled draw by draw, every time. That is the problem.
I have never had partial-release language in a term sheet before closing, and until this thread I never thought to ask for it. It always came down to the inspector's percentage and whoever was at the servicing desk that week.
Here is what I will ask for on the next file, before closing:
1. Release what passed. Whatever percentage the inspector signs off on funds on the normal schedule. The lender does not hold the whole line for the remainder.
2. The balance rolls. The unfunded remainder moves to the next scheduled draw automatically, with no separate request.
3. One inspection fee, not two. If the lender wants a dedicated reinspection for the balance, it is on them or credited against the next draw.
A lender who will not put those three in writing just told you how the partial is going to go, before you ever need it.
Sorry for the slow reply, Ricky. Your three are the right ones. I'd add a fourth: get "complete" defined per line item in the draw schedule before closing, and ask who picks the inspector. Most partial-draw fights I've seen weren't about the percentage. They were about what counted as done.
Your point from earlier in the thread belongs on the same list: ask for the turn times on their last ten draws, request to funded. A lender who can answer quickly usually has a process. One who can't, doesn't.
Back to the original question: with those four in writing, how much rate would you pay for them?