Is it wise/unwise to phase my listing?

Is it wise/unwise to phase my listing?

GA · Member since 2023 · 22 posts · 5 votes

I have a 3 story cabin in the mountains. My plan was to do a total renovation and list as a 4bed/4 bath. Due to rising costs I was thinking of scaling back my renovation and leave the basement out of the mix for now. This would nix the bunkroom and game room portion and leave me with a 3 bed/3 bath(all king rooms). I had always planned on making the basement as a possible separate option that I could rent as a smaller option if the whole house wasn’t renting, or as a part of the bigger cabin. I was thinking I’d just lock the basement off as owner portion and then hopefully next winter or the one after finish the basement at that point.

0Reply
286 views

Most Popular Reply

Chris BrownPro Member
Investor · Locust Grove, GA · Member since 2023 · 15 posts · 10 votes
1d

I’ve dealt with this before. My biggest takeaway was to study the competitors in your immediate area. You need to know if your design approach keeps you competitive or if you’ll lose bookings to listings with stronger amenities.

Costs are climbing everywhere. I’m in the middle of a remodel in Florida and the budget pressure is real. A phased plan is smart, but make sure you’re not delaying features that guests in your market expect, like game rooms or other high‑value add‑ons. Falling behind on amenities can drag down your nightly rate and occupancy.

See this reply in the discussion

11 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Chris BrownPro Member
    Investor · Locust Grove, GA · Member since 2023 · 15 posts · 10 votes
    1d

    I’ve dealt with this before. My biggest takeaway was to study the competitors in your immediate area. You need to know if your design approach keeps you competitive or if you’ll lose bookings to listings with stronger amenities.

    Costs are climbing everywhere. I’m in the middle of a remodel in Florida and the budget pressure is real. A phased plan is smart, but make sure you’re not delaying features that guests in your market expect, like game rooms or other high‑value add‑ons. Falling behind on amenities can drag down your nightly rate and occupancy.

  • Andrew SteffensBusiness Member
    Tampa, FL · Member since 2022 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    1d

    I agree with Chris - I am an operator in Tampa which is very different than your market but some principles are the same or similar. A 4 bedroom typically does not outperform a 3 bedroom by 25%, its more like 35-45% on average which could be very costly to you. You need to know how each should perform and what you are leaving off the table.

  • GA · Member since 2023 · 22 posts · 5 votes
    1d

    Thanks for the help! I am totally new at this as you can probably tell. Is there a good way to research that data, specifically to my area? I mean, I do have 4-5 rentals in my immediate neighborhood that I can observe their occupancy and look at their listings but have been resistant to sign up for a paid service as there were so many to choose from. I looked at AirDNA and STR Insights. I am happy to sign up for something, but am just not sure which is right for me and my one mountain cabin. I do hope to buy more as my knowledge increases.

    • Chris BrownPro Member
      Investor · Locust Grove, GA · Member since 2023 · 15 posts · 10 votes
      1d

      AirDNA works well. I also use PriceLabs to pull live competitor data so you can see where their listings potentially outperforms. From there, you can compare their average nightly rates and occupancy. Since you already have other properties in the area, this gives you a good sense of what performs locally — and it’s helpful to see exactly how your listing(s) stacks up in the market.

  • Investor · RI · Member since 2026 · 2 posts · 0 votes
    1d

    I'd decide this on incremental math: what does the basement add per year vs. what it costs to finish, and does doing it later cost more?

    Illustration only (placeholder numbers, swap in your comps):

    - 3BR/3BA: $300 ADR x 55% occupancy x 365 = ~$60,200 gross

    - 4BR/4BA w/ bunk + game room: $375 ADR x 55% = ~$75,300 gross

    - Difference: ~$15,100/yr, less ~30% for cleaning, supplies, utilities, platform fees = ~$10,500 net

    - Basement finish at $50K = ~4.7-year payback. At $90K = ~8.5 years.

    Get the ADRs from real 3BR vs 4BR comps near you (search your own peak and shoulder dates). In a lot of mountain markets the bunk/game room lifts occupancy from family and group bookings as much as it lifts rate.

    What changes the answer:

    1. Phase-two premium: downtime during the finish (lost peak weeks), remobilizing trades, possibly a new permit. Add that to the later cost.

    2. Rough-in now: if the basement may become a separate rentable unit, run plumbing, egress and a separate entry while walls are open. Cheap now, expensive later.

    3. Reserves: don't drain cash to finish it. A thin-reserve STR in year one is the bigger risk.

    If real comps show a payback under ~4-5 years and you keep a solid reserve, I'd finish it now. Otherwise phase it.

  • Property Manager · Melbourne, FL · Member since 2019 · 288 posts · 129 votes
    1d

    Three king rooms with three baths gives you a clear couples setup. If you open that version first, photograph and describe only what guests can actually use. I'd leave the future game room out of the sales pitch until it's finished. You don't want the first reviews judging a space they expected but couldn't access.

  • GA · Member since 2023 · 22 posts · 5 votes
    1d

    Thanks so much, I really do appreciate the help. I have the loan available to do it, but am nervous about using the entire amount for the renovation and not being able to make the money to cover it.

  • MD/DC · Member since 2024 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    1d

    I prefer one and done when it comes to renovations but a basement seems like a reasonable location to block off and update when you are ready. This will require shutting down the top of the house which if a busy STR might cost more in the long run. The other thing and this is just my opinion when a guest but if I was renting an expensive large property I would not be happy with other guests downstairs if you decide to do a split.

    • GA · Member since 2023 · 22 posts · 5 votes
      40m

      To clarify, I would not rent the house to 2 different tenants. The split was to have a way to offer a smaller option if it was getting close to a weekend and I didn’t have any booking, I could split into 2 different options, a 3 bedroom, or a 1 bedroom. Whichever rents first wins so to speak. I’d then block off the other listing.

  • Member since 2020 · 15 posts · 2 votes
    23h

    Hey Annette, a lot of great advice on here already :) 

    one thing I haven’t seen mentioned: whichever version you open with, expect a ramp-up period. New listings usually earn below their comps until they have enough reviews to build trust (about 20 in my market). That argues for phasing. Your income will be lowest in those first months, so that’s when you want the most cushion, not the loan fully taken out.

    I suggest putting your photos side by side with your 4–5 neighbors’ listings, guestimate where you, and estimate your nightly rate somewhere between the comps above and below you. Then check whether the 3BR version covers your mortgage at a lower occupancy than the comps get during that first stretch. If it does, open with the 3BR, build your reviews, and pay for the basement out of income later.

    Happy to go through the numbers with you if it helps.

  • Member since 2026 · 15 posts · 7 votes
    20h

    Phasing is fine, but launch it as a finished 3-bedroom, not a 4-bedroom in progress. Guests book the listing they see. If the basement shows up in the background of photos, or guests notice a locked door on the stairs, it raises questions you cannot answer in a review response.

    Keep the basement completely out of the listing: no photos, no mention, locked off as owner storage. Price the 3/3 against other 3-bedroom cabins in your market, not against what a 4/4 would have fetched.

    The one thing I would add to the math discussion here: make the basement decision revenue-driven. If real comps show a 4-bedroom commands a real premium in your market, finish it sooner. If all-king 3-bedrooms already pull strong rates, the basement can wait a winter or two without costing you much. Let the market pay for the renovation instead of building it on spec.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.